curious about ship?

Herbaltees

Fresh air for the crew working in those spaces?

Just curious about why a question about a Disney ship landed on the Carnival board. No big deal- just wondering.

Could be the OP has always seen this on ships (Carnival included) and when they were reading the Disney review it triggered the question and so he is just using that picture as a visual?!?

Could be the OP has always seen this on ships (Carnival included) and when they were reading the Disney review it triggered the question and so he is just using that picture as a visual?!?

Yes, that's exactly right.

Except, the review was of the Destiny ship but they had that pic in their review. I guess I could have gone to the Disney board to post my question.

Maybe this thread belongs in the "cruise question" forum.

It is for the person that gets the mail from the mail buoy. When I was in the Navy, we had people on the flight deck keeping an eye for them.

BOOOOOOO!! You got me. :D

MailBuoy

Mail Buoy Watch. A practical joke pulled on inexperienced crewmembers and midshipmen which revolves around convincing the victim that mail is delivered to a ship at sea via a buoy. The more gullible victims are dressed in outlandish garb (lifejacket, helmet) and with a boat hook and sound powered telephone directed to stand watch for the buoy and retrieve the mail.

Not funny! (okay it's slightly funny)

It serves as a platform for heaving lines when mooring the ship. It is also used when raising acchor to play a hose to remove caked mud from the anchor as it comes out of the water. Rarely it can be used by a leadsman -- as the ship enters a shallow area to heave a weighted line forward, let it sink to the bottom, and read the water depth from the different markings at 1 fathom (six feet) intervals. Admittedly, this last is unlikely to be used, but it remains a capability any well manned ship should have.

What is that little platform called and what does it do?

It is likely an observation platform that allows a crew member to monitor the anchor as it comes up to see whether it is clear or if it is fouled by a cable, the anchor chain, or something else.

It serves as a platform for heaving lines when mooring the ship. It is also used when raising acchor to play a hose to remove caked mud from the anchor as it comes out of the water. Rarely it can be used by a leadsman -- as the ship enters a shallow area to heave a weighted line forward, let it sink to the bottom, and read the water depth from the different markings at 1 fathom (six feet) intervals. Admittedly, this last is unlikely to be used, but it remains a capability any well manned ship should have.

Better explanation than mine.

The comments about the sounding line remind me of a time when the ship I was stationed on was pulling into a port. The charts were old and of questionable accuracy, so me and 3 other guys were sent ahead of the ship in the RHIB with a sounding line to verify it was safe for the ship to pull in.

Fun times.

Archived