Zuiderdam in general

This ship is barely 3 years old and shows a lot of abuse by the passengers. For example: the door between the covered pool and the Lido Restaurant on the port side has 2 big cracks in it; Ocean Bar port side - one window in an alcove is shattered; there is a dining room door missing on the upper level; and as we walked around the ship we found several of the interior glass doors missing (the ones leading out onto the Promenade Deck); cracked glass in one of the display windows. The more we walked around the more doors we saw missing on other decks. Near the end of the second week, another window in an alcove in the Ocean Bar on the starboard side was broken.

On Thursday, May 11, we noticed that the ice creams were not hard. Some people complained about the Baked Alaska - some were frozen - others were soft. This was the first indication that there was a refrigeration problem. Friday we both ordered ice cream for dessert after dinner - we were told that it wasn't any good, that a new supply was coming on board the next day in Ft Lauderdale. That evening we ordered ice cream again - it was cold but very soupy. By Monday, May 16, it was made official - no more ice cream - all had to be thrown out. The refrigeration problem was growing. The refrigeration unit that began breaking is a large unit that is divided into several sections and as each day passed the problem kept spreading. Finally on Tuesday new dessert menus were printed leaving off ice cream. On Wednesday while we were in St Thomas, 2 very large coolers were hoisted onto the bow of the ship to be used for refrigeration in the hopes that no more food was lost. It was also announced that there would be no more fresh eggs. On Friday while we were in Nassau, Baked Alaska was available for the final dinner. It was not clarified if the Baked Alaska was prepared on shore and brought to the ship or if the ingredients were brought to the ship and then they were prepared. You still weren't able to get ice cream for dessert at dinner, but we were told that if there was any Baked Alaska left after dinner, it would be available for the evening buffet as they wouldn't be able to keep the ice cream till the next day.

We got 2 conflicting stories - one individual told us that 2 technicians had been flown in from Italy on Wednesday (St Thomas day) and another person told us that technicians were meeting the ship in Ft Lauderday on Saturday (the 21st).

We were told the technicians were being flown in to Nassau to meet the ship.

Also, no milk products could be taken on from St. Thomas, as they are not pasteurized.

We were also told that most likely the problem will be fixed when the ship is in drydock in December. Perhaps the technicians were there for a temporary solution.

It had to do with the coils and the glue used for them -- not sure of all the technicalities of it.

Welcome Back, KK. We missed you.

Thanks for sharing about what is happening on Zuiderdam. Hopefully, all necessary repairs will be made rapidly and successfully.

Settle in and then please share more comments about your time on Zuiderdam.

We were told the technicians were being flown in to Nassau to meet the ship.

Also, no milk products could be taken on from St. Thomas, as they are not pasteurized.

We were also told that most likely the problem will be fixed when the ship is in drydock in December. Perhaps the technicians were there for a temporary solution.

It had to do with the coils and the glue used for them -- not sure of all the technicalities of it.

I wouldn't think it possible they can wait until December to make repairs to refrigeration. It would not be pretty to hear what USPH would have to say if they should appear for an Inspection and find those kind of cooling problems.

It seems clear they have to be able to properly store milk, eggs and other basics....including the much loved ice cream we all crave on HAL ships.

Two of the 4 chairs at the table on our verandah had broken places in the rattan. One of the 2 larger chairs along with both of the ottomans had broken rattan slats. The table tops have not endured the sun.

The Oak Room always smelled of smoke. the chairs were the same wooden ones as those outside the Oak Room on Starboard side and those on the port side. All of the chairs and tables are white wood and newly repainted.

Gym - there were 11 treadmills - 3 not working; 8 exercise bikes - 1 not working; and the blood pressure cuff was out of order. Whoever gets to the treadmills first get to adjust the TV's to suit themselves.

Any time you got off the ship and wanted to take a beach towel, you had to give your name and room number or turn in your little slip of paper to claim a towel. If you failed to return your towels, you were informed that you would be charged for them.

There are a lot of clocks around the ship - very few have the correct time.

We found the selection of books in the library to be poor - JOO.

Embarkation photo - $20.95 - 8 1/2 by 11. The actual picture is 3 by 5. The rest of the photo is made up of flowers; a map; a cocktail; a pair of sun glasses; 2 towels; a card indicating the ship's name, date of cruise, and ports of call; and a picture of the Zuiderdam ship.

One evening in the dining room the photographers took individual pictures and displayed them as such: top part "Wanted" - bottom part "$1000 reward". Those pictures didn't seen to go over with the passengers - not many people bought them as you always walked by and there were still tons of them on display.

From suite 7061 - 7077 the hallway floor is extremely uneven - poor construction. Some of the grooves are over an inch deep. Even the crew had problems with their carts. As we explored other decks, we found this problem existed in several other areas.

Two of the 4 chairs at the table on our verandah had broken places in the rattan. One of the 2 larger chairs along with both of the ottomans had broken rattan slats. The table tops have not endured the sun.

The Oak Room always smelled of smoke. the chairs were the same wooden ones as those outside the Oak Room on Starboard side and those on the port side. All of the chairs and tables are white wood and newly repainted.

Gym - there were 11 treadmills - 3 not working; 8 exercise bikes - 1 not working; and the blood pressure cuff was out of order. Whoever gets to the treadmills first get to adjust the TV's to suit themselves.

Any time you got off the ship and wanted to take a beach towel, you had to give your name and room number or turn in your little slip of paper to claim a towel. If you failed to return your towels, you were informed that you would be charged for them.

There are a lot of clocks around the ship - very few have the correct time.

We found the selection of books in the library to be poor - JOO.

Embarkation photo - $20.95 - 8 1/2 by 11. The actual picture is 3 by 5. The rest of the photo is made up of flowers; a map; a cocktail; a pair of sun glasses; 2 towels; a card indicating the ship's name, date of cruise, and ports of call; and a picture of the Zuiderdam ship.

One evening in the dining room the photographers took individual pictures and displayed them as such: top part "Wanted" - bottom part "$1000 reward". Those pictures didn't seen to go over with the passengers - not many people bought them as you always walked by and there were still tons of them on display.

From suite 7061 - 7077 the hallway floor is extremely uneven - poor construction. Some of the grooves are over an inch deep. Even the crew had problems with their carts. As we explored other decks, we found this problem existed in several other areas.

Yeh, but how was the rest of your cruise?:) Seriously, did all of these negative things ruin your cruise? Hope the refrigeration problems are fixed before Oct. 1st.

The music at the aft pool is way too loud and not to our liking. In fact we did not like any of the groups in the lounges - JOO (5 Seasons, Goddard & Lewis, The Navigo Strings; and Rhonda Cryan - Piano Bar). Most of them played so loud that that you couldn't talk to the person next to you.

About 3 - 4 weeks before we got on the ship, there was a printing problem - so we were told. As a result we never got the Times Digest? SOOO - if there was a printing problem how were they able to print the menus, daily programs, port information, etc??

All of the menus for both the Western and Eastern cruises were always marked at the bottom with the eastern cruise signature.

Each day there was always some king of a game like Scattegories, trivia, etc. And on sea days - pool games. Always a lot of activities to keep people busy.

A new game was: "Survival #1 - Journey in the Jungle"; "Survival #2 - Death in the Desert"; & "Survival #3 - Lost at Sea". We dropped in on one of them - 5 people were playing. It is nothing more than a high school game!

Gameshow Mania - we loved it on the Westerdam - there it was played twice in the afternoon. On this ship is was at 7:45 PM on the night of a production show. If you went to it, then you didn't get a good seat at the show. Poor timing there.

There was an adult swim time from 3 - 5 PM at the aft pool - not enforced.

There were a few bingos where 2 for 1 drinks were offered. Some of the bar staff wouldn't let you buy the drink specials unless you had a bingo card - others didn't care. And a couple of times you could only get the drink special of the day.

There were hand sanitizers everywhere but you had to hunt for them on the Lido Deck and in the dining room. They were not readily visible. AND no one stressed that you should use them.

We had a great 2 weeks on board and I hope to be able to start posting about that within the next few days.

They have to get the refrigeration fixed soon. They can't afford to have food ruined. What was thrown off the ship in Nassau was unbelievable! And they can't wait till to fix it when the ship goes into dry dock in December.

When the Zuiderdam goes into dry dock in December the Library will be turned into an Exploration's Cafe - like that on the Ryndam.

And the Windstar Cafe will become a wine bar.

Talking about the Windstar Cafe - there are no free pastries there anymore. Instead they now sell "Dam" buns (gooey, cinnamon buns with icing) that are huge and cost $1.75 each.

I wouldn't think it possible they can wait until December to make repairs to refrigeration. It would not be pretty to hear what USPH would have to say if they should appear for an Inspection and find those kind of cooling problems.

It seems clear they have to be able to properly store milk, eggs and other basics....including the much loved ice cream we all crave on HAL ships.

They are making temporary repairs to the refrigeration, but have to wait until December to make permanent repairs.

The amount of work they need to do to ensure the refrigeration will be fixed properly has to be done when the ship is in drydock.

It has to do with the wrong type of glue used for the refrigeration coils.

What they did last week was a patch job.

This information was given to my husband by Mr. Deering.

The uneven floors will also be corrected when the ship is in drydock. It is caused by shifting cement, according to Mr. Deering, hotel manager.

I agree with KK on the embarkation photos -- they were so small, with too much border and the price was too high.

As far as the NYT Digest, which DH really missed, we were told the problem exists with the satellite feed to the ship's printer.

The ship's programs, menus, etc. do not depend on an outside source.

DH had several lengthy chats with Mr. Deering about the Zuiderdam over the course of the week. Most of the information I have was relayed to me by DH.

We never had to give a name, room number or ticket for towels, and we took them at every port. Maybe because we were stragglers and not first off the boat?

What a shame that such a new ship is in this condition, and I don't mean the refrigeration problem. That in itself would stop me from booking until it was completely repaired and not just patched, but I can't understand how the rest of the damage KK (and others) has described can be allowed to happen.

I have yet to read the first thing ever that would make me want to choose the Zuiderdam to cruise over and above any other HAL ship. :(

I saw some of the problems KK mentioned but did not include them in my review of last weeks trip. You might send a letter with these problems to HAL's office (Ship Operations) and address it to the attention of Mr. James Deering, Hotel Manager. You can get their address on the HAL website. He seemed to want our opinion on how things were going and I am positive he will make sure these problems are corrected.

Ray

I would NOT cancel. A lot of the "problems" are cosmetic. The refrigeration should be working fine -- they are taking care of the problem.

Even with the whole ice cream/dessert/eggs/cheese problem -- I was disappointed, but did not let it put a damper on my cruise.

I had the best time! :)

We have enjoyed five wonderful cruises on Zuiderdam. Glad we sailed her when we did.

I am very happy we do not currently have any booked on that ship and know that we will not be in a hurry to book her again until we hear the ship has been 'tended to'.

For how many days of the seven (or in KK's case longer) were there no fresh eggs, milk, cheese, ice cream etc?

Come on - let's not let this get us down! I feel that sometimes folks cruise to look for the problems - granted, refrigeration can be a serious problem, but being in the catering business - you find a remedy and fix it or the Board of Health shuts you down! I, of course, would be disappointed if I had no ice cream, but I refuse to make that ruin my cruise, or some uneven floors or some worn carpet, etc. I, for one, am not going to cancel my cruise on the Zui and I plan to write a review in Sept. of my wonderful cruise!

Peggy

Wow it must have been an EXHAUSTING week making notes on all of the perceived deficiencies. I would have to put a lot of effort into finding all of that when I'm on vacation! :)

The Oak Room always smelled of smoke.

Isn't it supposed to? I thought that that was part of the charm of the "smoking room"? :confused:

We sail on June 4th and I am now getting a sick-to-my-stomach feeling. I hate we have spent all of that money on a crappy ship. I feel terrible :(

Have you all been reading the absolutely glowing reviews lately of the Zuiderdam? I continually am noting just how many great reviews are coming across lately (point-in-case : Candy) who was reporting live from on board. I sure as heck wouldn't let the above ruin my vacation. How can so many people have had such an amazing time?

We have been on the Oosterdam and the Westerdam and the Oak Room on those ships never had a lingering smoke smell. There was a couple using that room for their wedding and she was distressed about the smell. (There were 4 weddings taking place on the ship on May 14th.)

Archived