Nikon 1 or D3200?

ion-man

Hi folks, a friend of mine is seeking a camera and presents a $1K budget. While I am somewhat partial to Nikon, I am open to suggestions separate from the two options I posted (Nikon 1 or D3200). These two came off the top of my head as this was asked of me only a few minutes ago, but I figured I'd post here as this board is my go-to resource for camera-related issues. I think she is aiming for Black Friday deals so I think I have time.

Thanks in advanced.

If you are considering a compact mirrorless like the Nikon 1 series, take a look at the Sony NEX line-up. Smaller body, much larger sensor (APS-C) and a great array of lenses are now available with more on the way.

Several people on the board have picked one up as a second body and end up using the darn things more than the DSLR.

My first impression article of the earlier NEX-5: http://pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/nex5.htm

Dave

If you want to step up to Leica image quality without the $8000 price tag, check out the NEX-7. I sold my A700 with a couple of seldom-used lenses and bought one. I kept my NEX-5 because the LensBaby still needs a mother and the 7 is now threatening my Sony A77's place as the go-to camera when the P&S won't cut it.

Note: after a week, the sticker shock melted away and was replaced by the sense that I had found a real bargain!

Also, a less expensive 16MP version has been released as the NEX-6 with a lot of new bells and whistles.

Review here: http://pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/nex7.htm

Dave

I agree with Dave, sold my Nikon D7000 and D5100. Now have the Sony Nex-7 and Nex-5n, have the quality and downsize. Still amazed and it's great not to carry large cameras around. Have a look at web site dprview.com, their reviews and forums, a great place to gather your info on all cameras and gear.

Tom :cool:

Nikon 1 prior to the just annouced V2 is a bust. The small sensor and the build and silly dial/menu is very stupid. I do have J1, picked up the combo package for 400 bucks on CL. It does some things very nice if you can deal with the stupid interface. Even my kids/wife prefer the DSLR or their iPhone to this. Its back for sale on CL for cheap and once I dump it will pick up either a used D3, D800 or D600, TBD.

What is great about the Nikon 1 is class leading hybrid focus and FPS, but most who are in the market here aren't in it for sports. The new V2 is pricey but updated built in flash/EVF and improved dial. Comes down to what you are looking for.

D3200 with crazy pixel density is a nice camera, but the reality is that until you put pro glass on it you are wasting them pixels.

For 1K, I'd consider D5100 if you are going Nikon, there are some good sales right now, but be aware the D5200 is likely just around the corner.

There is no question that the new *****-D and Sony Nex IMHO are the best two mirrorless at the moment, but neither can mount my nikon glass so I'm a bit partial to Nikon still

For 1K, I'd consider D5100 if you are going Nikon, there are some good sales right now, but be aware the D5200 is likely just around the corner.

I just want to say that I picked up the D5100 not long ago as a second body when the price really dropped (there may be even better deals now), and it's a good camera. Same sensor as the D7000 (my main body), "cheaper" build, but lighter. Some stuff that you can do via buttons on the D7000 you must do on screen on the D5100, but I've gotten used to it. I think it's a good deal pricewise.

I have a couple of the cameras mentioned here, so I figured I would chime in. I have a Nikon D7000, a Sony Nex 5n and just Sold a D5100. Fixing to upgrade to a Nikon D600 (reason for getting rid of the D5100).

If size is one of your biggest issues, I would go for the Sony Nex 5n. I know the new models are just coming out, but you can get a 5n so cheap now and it takes absolutely excellent pictures.

I didn't use the D5100 too much (it was my wifes), but it took excellent pictures (indistinguishable from my D7000 - considering it has same sensor, no shock there). if you need some additional controls at your finger tips and size isn't an issue, I would go with this, as the amount of lenses you will have to choose from is incredible and the prices have really dropped here too.

I just sold my wife's D5100 with both kit lens, only 376 on the shutter count for $500, so there are some great deals out there if used is an option.Even brand new, you could easily get a body, kit lens and a couple nice primes (35mm 1.8 and the 50mm 1.8) and be within the budget.

That is the only real bad thing I could say about the Sony, is right now it is kind of limited in lens choices. There are some real good ones and I'm sure there will be many more to come, but I don't feel like its quite there yet as far as variety. What is out there does produce some outstanding results and for this fall, I have loved the HDR functionality built right into the Sony.

Anyway, best of luck to your friend.

Gentlemen, thanks very much for the perspectives offered, the info is more useful than even I anticipated. The Nikon 1 is now not an option and I am actively looking into the NEX-6 and keeping the D3200 as an option.

This quest might get personal soon as I am considering replacing my D5000...

Be aware, current industry rumours are that Nikon is moving away from their DX DSLR line to concentrate more on FX DSLR and a new DX based mirror-less line like the recent Canon announcement.

It's a shame that it took Canon & Nikon so long to catch-up with Sony, Panasonic and Olympus.

People want quality, but do not want to carry around a large, heavy bag of stuff while on vacation.

If the Sony RX-1 is a precursor to a Full-Frame NEX, I may have to start saving now....

Dave

Please...do not confuse people. The Sony RX-1 is the OVER-priced ($3,000!!!) FX mirrorless (w/o optical viewfinder) announced a couple months ago. It is not a DX mirrorless camera. MY reference was to the low priced SONY NEX DX sensor line.

I am a Nikon user.

Please...do not confuse people. The Sony RX-1 is the OVER-priced ($3,000!!!) FX mirrorless (w/o optical viewfinder) announced a couple months ago. It is not a DX mirrorless camera. MY reference was to the low priced SONY NEX DX sensor line.

I am a Nikon user.

Over-priced? In the world of street photography and responsive photojournalism a full-frame Leica M9 with a 35mm f/2 Sunmmicron is the benchmark rig. One of those runs about $10,000 with a much lower DxOMark score than the NEX-7 and the RX-1 will likely surpass the NEX's score based on early testing. It is a niche camera targeted at people who appreciate the quality and aren't worried about cost. They may not be worried but anyone who appreciates quality equipment can't help but note the price/performance value of these new players in the genre.

I mentioned it in passing only to highlight my appreciation of how technology is progressing at an amazing pace. My apologies if you were confused by the reference.

Dave

Archived