Worse Thing about Cruising

shellfish5

Worst thing: I'll echo what others have said. The disembarkation process is the worst. Packing on the last day, having to get up early and stand in line to go through Customs and then drive home.

However, this is a problem with no solution. The ship needs the next group to be loaded on, so it cannot be helped. We make it as painless as possible in a couple ways:

- during the cruise, we toss dirty clothes into a suitcase on the floor of the closet. When the first suitcase is full, we zip it up, shove it under the bed and call it "packed". Means less to do on the last day.

- we pack small toiletries or half-used bottles, and on the last morning, we just throw it all away -- no bathroom packing. Do I really need a tube of travel toothpaste with two uses left?

- we carry our own suitcases off, which means no wasted time searching for our stuff in a sea of suitcases, and we get through the terminal more quickly.

The other worst -- which could be solved, if the cruise line cared to do it -- is the chair hog problem.

Just came back last night from a 11-night Italy, Croatia and Malta cruise. There are many things that I can think of worst thing that can happen. Although some may not be directly related to the cruise itself, it's part of the experience.

- Having your connecting flight cancelled and not make it to the ship on the first day

- Having your things stolen or pickpocketing on ports

- Packing to go home on the last afternoon

- Getting ripped off by locals (train/bus ticket sales agents even)

- Taking a train in Italy

- The worst thing......having to always rush to get back on the ship at every port

I can think of only a few, but the good still outweighs the bad.

1. The fact that the ship will just strand you in a foreign port if you don't make it back in time.

2. The somewhat arbitrary divide between food and drink; i.e. most food is free/included, but most drinks have a price.

3. The debarkation process; they crew seems to do a complete 180 after catering to your every whim just several hours earlier.

That's about it, really. There are more, but they're so minor that they barely count, or even more so, make a cruise feel like a cruise. Example: the cramped nature of most cruise ships makes meeting new people a piece of cake, which would be more difficult at a sprawling AI resort.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

The worse:

free style dining on ncl (waiting way to long to eat in the main dining on nlc), room service on NCL, NCL in general.

all the sale pitches

muster drill (we typically skip it, and unpack during this time. Since I'm a responsible parent now, no more skipping)

bingo (we bring the portable dvd player and headphones)

I do not pack on the last day, but the next morning! We throw dirty clothes in the closet, then in to the bags. We throw out the travel size stuff as well, UNLESS we're staying at a hotel in port. We take our time getting off of the ship.

Leaving the ship, and having to cook when I get back home!!! I hate leaving a unkept room or bed, so I make my own even when on vacation, but I love to have someone else cook for me, and I don't even have to give them suggestions on what I like beforehand. lol

1. Coming home and realizing there is no room steward greeting me at my front door with a smile.

2. On the last day, realizing that the affections of the crew have now turned to the newly boarding passengers. (What?? You mean they're PAID to like me?!! :p)

3. Like the others who have long flights, the cost/time to fly to Florida, and particularly the feeling of utter sadness on the return flight. Bright side: my fellow Edmontonians (and all Albertans today, actually) who have winter cruises boooked - the dumping we've received the last couple of days gives us something to truly look forward to!!

Better yet, move to a city equal distance from TWO cruise ports! :D

Oh and the adjustment to real life and walking back in my not spotless house, with my unmade bed and no mint or towel animal.

When the 'feedings' end. As in, oh wait, it's 11:30, you mean it's not time to head to the buffet?

The feeling of being sober on dry land again. Last time, I may have had a bit too much blood in my alcohol stream! (we'll have dd with us, so limited drinking!)

Worse thing about cruising is paying a lot of money to go on a cruise and then spending the time onboard complaining about every little thing instead of enjoying the cruise. Wait.... ...!

The worst is despite all that, even before the cruise ended, AGAIN booking another cruise!

:D;):p:D:rolleyes:

Edited by anandaindonesia

The obvious response is: when the cruise is over. Everyone on this site-LOVES cruising

or they wouldn't be on here.

But I believe that the most negative factor is:

the lack of immediate communication, with your family/friends, back home.

The internet capabilities on the cruise ships, are notoriously very slow and unreliable.

And expensive, IMO.

So, keeping in touch with family, in the event of an emergency---is my biggest concern.

• 3 weeks later...
The obvious response is: when the cruise is over. Everyone on this site-LOVES cruising

or they wouldn't be on here.

But I believe that the most negative factor is:

the lack of immediate communication, with your family/friends, back home.

The internet capabilities on the cruise ships, are notoriously very slow and unreliable.

And expensive, IMO.

So, keeping in touch with family, in the event of an emergency---is my biggest concern.

Those are positives to me. I'm on vacation leave me the heck alone. I'll check my email at the airport before I leave and when I'm waiting to my flight home. Work doesn't get go on vacation with me. :D

My worst is the flight home. But not because of the end of the cruise. It is dealing with all the people who don't fly often and don't know or wont follow the rules.. Anybody who has cruised/flown out of Miami knows this. All the ships dump their people at the airports are about the same time and it is a madhouse. People going down with packed suitcases then buying all kinds of stuff then have no place to put it and want to carry it all on. Get mad at the TSA/Airlines when they cant carry on their 14 bottles of rum they bought, mad because their suitcase it now 78lbs and have to pay the overweight fee, etc etc etc.

The worst thing about cruising is having a whole area of the ship's toilets being put out of action because someone has brought their own toilet paper which blocks the pipes....:mad:

VP

I was just about to say the same thing.

For me it's passengers that are rude, pushy and out for a good time at whatever and whoever's cost, we've all experienced them at some point.

We've all paid for the cruise but there's always those that think they're more important and demand more attention from staff and other guests!

Unruly children and 'old' people that think they deserve respect despite being rude and obnoxious..and some people in electric wheelchairs too, just because they can't/ won't walk doesn't mean they have an automatic right to jump a queue.

Someone mentioned elevators - I get really annoyed by people that push their way in whilst you're trying to get out....how rude and stupid is that.?