Insurance question

dwaterhouse

Does travel insurance pay out if we decide to cancel due to weather, or only if carnival cancels?

If insurance pays out a claim... Does it have to be put back on the credit card that I paid with? Wondering cause CC balance is zero.... So does the CC company issue a refund check?

Inquiring minds want to know... Thanks!

We are due to fly out tomorrow am for the Pride Sunday .

Generally no, it does not pay if you want to cancel because of weather, but you would need to read your policy.

All my insurance claims have been paid by check, but again, it would depend on your company.

If Carnival cancels the cruise, highly unlikely, they would refund your money and your travel insurance would pay the other claims you may have. (Flights and such, hotel cost if you need it, things like that)

Does travel insurance pay out if we decide to cancel due to weather, or only if carnival cancels?

If insurance pays out a claim... Does it have to be put back on the credit card that I paid with? Wondering cause CC balance is zero.... So does the CC company issue a refund check?

Inquiring minds want to know... Thanks!

We are due to fly out tomorrow am for the Pride Sunday .

Insurance only pays out if Carnival decides to cancel unless you purchased cancel for any reason insurance........

It's highly unlikely that Carnival will be cancelling any cruises. They may delay a return or delay a departure or completely change the itinerary, but cancel probably not.

The only time I remember them cancelling any cruises was after the Splendor fire when it was being refurbished and a couple of Conquest cruises when hurricane Ike hit the port of Galveston.

I can't speak to how the refund would be given, but I have read where others received a check. To me a credit balance or a check would be equally welcomed.........but most likely it's nothing you need to be worrying about.

Make sure you have signed up on Carnival for text updates regarding your sailing.........have a great trip, some of my best have been during stormy weather......I love the motion........

For a "regular" travel insurance policy, you cannot just cancel because you don't like the weather. If the cruise leaves and you aren't on it because you didn't want to sail because it was raining, or you didn't like the fact your cruise was probably going to miss a port, you aren't eligible to file a claim.

You could only cancel if you had purchased "cancel for any reason" coverage, and most of those require you to cancel within a set number of hours before your cruise is scheduled to depart (~48 hours prior, depends on the policy), and you only get back a percentage of what you paid for your cruise (50 or 75%, again, depends on the policy).

If you file an insurance claim and it is accepted, you receive a check back, not a credit to your credit card.

For almost all insurers that cover weather-related cancellations, the cancellation of the trip has to be done by the travel supplier. As noted above, that decision can't be made by the traveler.

One exception is TravelSafe which in one specific circumstance allows the traveler to make the decision to cancel:

"t. a cancellation of Your Trip within 24 hours of Your Scheduled Departure Date and time if Your Trip destination is under a hurricane warning issued by the NOAA National Hurricane Center, provided the cancellation of Your Trip occurs more than 15 days following Your Effective Date of coverage for the Trip Cancellation Benefits;"

Here's from one business travel blog:

"A Unique Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation - Only Offered With TravelSafe

A key feature, that is exclusive to TravelSafe and their hurricane coverage reads:

"A cancellation of Your Trip within 24 hours of Your Scheduled Departure Date and time if Your Trip destination is under a hurricane warning issued by the NOAA National Hurricane Center, provided the cancellation of Your Trip occurs more than 15 days following Your effective date of coverage for the Trip Cancellation Benefits."

So, let me translate this for you. Once your clients' destination is under a hurricane warning issued by the NOAA National Hurricane Center, they may cancel their trip within 24 hours prior to departure for any reason. One might say, it's the next best thing to Cancel for Any Reason insurance. You need to take note of this because no other travel insurance company offers this level of coverage."

Well never say never........I just read on John's blog that they have infact cancelled the Pride sailing since the Coast Guard closed the harbor and they don't know when it will reopen.......

They said the 100% refund would be returned to the method paid within 2 weeks and a 25% future cruise discount would be given......

Sorry to all affected..........I would be majorly bummed....:(....and I am very bummed for you.........

They are calling this thing a perfect storm type event..........:mad:

In the interest of completeness... Since Carnival cancelled the trip due to inclement weather, that would ordinarily result in a payable claim by comprehensive trip insurance for the airfare, prepaid hotel, etc. Of course since Carnival is refunding the cruise fare itself directly, you can't "double dip" that.

Archived