Haines

csk

Thanks, when we get to Haines, is the town walkable or should we rent a car.I will check schedule, as we will be in Skagway the first of Sept.

What did you want to see in Haines? It's a residential and not touristy kind of place, so there isn't a main street of shops or anything. When we drove through, Scott pointed out the lovely sights, like the bar, video rental, church...

Haines is walkable, but it's only interesting for about an hour or so. And the prices aren't much better than Skagway. Walking town was kind of a nice thing to do while waiting for the ferry to go back. Definitely wouldn't want to make a special trip just to do that.

• 3 weeks later...
In Haines visit the Eagle Foundation? Rent a car and drive out Chilkoot River and watch for Bears, PS Stay in the car!

Stacym

Do you have a recommendation for a car rental company? Can you recommend anything else to do in Haines? I cannot figure out what to do while we are there.

Do not waste your time going to Haines. The eagles are not there this time of year (we saw only 3 and they were right in town at the harbor) and there is nothing else to do. We were just there last week and were going to take the fast ferry to Skagway and the fast ferry was only running two trips a day. Far from the 28 in their advertisement!

Do not waste your time going to Haines. The eagles are not there this time of year (we saw only 3 and they were right in town at the harbor) and there is nothing else to do. We were just there last week and were going to take the fast ferry to Skagway and the fast ferry was only running two trips a day. Far from the 28 in their advertisement!

Our cruise ship actually docks in Haines, not Skagway. I was hoping to take the fast ferry to Skagway, but am having trouble getting the timing figured out, so I think we may just stick around Haines.

I was on the float trip to the eagle preserve and there are definitely eagles there. Not in the hundreds like they will be later in the fall. But there are plenty of things to do in Haines. Rafting, hiking, fishing, and the other things on their web site. http://www.haines.ak.us/hainesweb/tours/index.html

Thanks for the suggestion. I emailed an independent tour operator and am waiting for a response. I think we may do the float trip.

Archived