Same day flight and cruise, FLL/MIA... HELP

dpryo319

Ok, so here is the deal. I asked this on the Celebrity board, but I want to ask a more specific question...maybe to those who have had this experience?

Here's the background info :

I am a 21 yr old college student, I'll be getting to the cruise on my own. My boyfriend currently plays piano on Celebrity Reflection, I see him only a few times a year, as he does multiple cruise contracts a year. I am very lucky and get to go and visit him over New Years!! (...and I got a very, very reasonable deal on a flight from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale.)The cruise is Dec 29th out of Miami.

Problems.... : Since I'm in college (a.k.a...poor), I'm traveling alone, and I could not take off work the day before the cruise, I am stuck flying the day of the cruise. The flight leaves Chicago at 7:00am on Dec 29th, arrives in Fort Lauderdale 11:10am. No layovers, straight flight. Transfer to Miami, estimating 1hr - 1 hr 30 min?? Seems ok... if all of the stars are aligned that day...

Also---I'm flying American Airlines, and I've heard some pretty horrific stories lately about cancellations/delays.... (yikes! :( )

Questions :

What is the QUICKEST/CHEAPEST/HASSLE-FREE way for me to get to the port as a single person?

What is the likelihood of my having problems (delays..etc)? Anyone in this position before?

If (God forbid) my flight is delayed or cancelled on AA, what are my options in getting to the cruise? (A couple days late...another airline...etc.)

Thank you all for your help!!!!

Can you get a flight after work the night before the cruise?

Book a hotel at FLL airport & transfer in the morning to Miami

Hope you bought trip cancellation insurance that will cover missing your flight

flying from Chicago in the winter on the same day as cruise = madness

Can you get a flight after work the night before the cruise?

Book a hotel at FLL airport & transfer in the morning to Miami

Hope you bought trip cancellation insurance that will cover missing your flight

flying from Chicago in the winter on the same day as cruise = madness

I've already booked my flight that is why I'm asking the questions.

I work in Central Wisconsin, a 5 hour drive from Chicago, until 8pm. So...that would have also been impossible. :( Madison and Milwaukee were both out of my budget, and CWA is WAY over budget....bad luck there.

And yes, I did purchase trip insurance, hopefully I won't have to use it.

Given the time situation you should plan to take a taxi from the airport to the port. It will be around $85.00.

Now, if you were to miss the port and had to board a few days later you would then have to fly from Florida to where the ship is. You would have to contact the cruise line to verify that you can still board without breaking any laws. Also you might need a passport to do that.

You said you have the tickets already. Have you looked at the cost of changing the flight. Might be at least worth checking into that.

Keith

Most ships require that you be checked-in/onboard by 90 minutes prior to sailing, so about 3:00-3:30. That gives you about 3-4 hours of wiggle room -- better than some who write into these boards. :eek:

If your flight is on time or only slightly delayed your cheapest and easiest option is one of the shared shuttle services -- SAS (www.ridesas.com), QLS or Go Airport Shuttle. I'm not sure that booking cruiseline transfers from FLL to POM will buy you any extra time - and it will certainly cost more! :( The trip from FLL to POM takes about 45 minutes and fares are in the $15-20 per person each way range; if you can travel with only carry-on luggage you will save some time in the airport and the chance of a lost bag.

Good luck! :)

I just want to add what you have in your favor is that it is an early flight.

What you have working against you is it's Chicago and December 29 and the weather could be an issue.

Just check to see if it is possible to fly in the night before.

Good luck with all of this.

Keith

Thanks guys :-)

I called to see the cost of changing, and it was about $500 to change...so that was out of the question. Looked up a one way from milwaukee directly to Miami, and there was a flight for $150 at a time that works out (red eye flight...)! So, i went ahead and did that...

So now my question is...what's the best way to get from Miami to the port in the a.m.:rolleyes: ??

Thanks so much for your opinions, this will be a little more pricey, but hopefully problems will be prevented :-)

dpryo319, I am glad you have the redeye flight.

When you arrive to the airport when you are ready to make it over to the port I would take a taxi. It is a flat rate and will run around $25.00 before tip.

You can start to check in bags at around 10:00 AM.

I wish you a wonderful cruise.

Keith

Instead of siting at the cruise terminal for hours I would have a long breakfast (and maybe a mimosa or two :o) -- there is a hotel inside the Miami Airport (cleverly called the Miami Airport Hotel) or you could take the hotel shuttle to the Hilton (great breakfast, but not cheap). Taxi from the hotel to POM with tip will be about the same as from MIA. Good luck! :)

Mimosa's sound fabulous...!!! I'll probably get the boy to come and meet me for one.. (or two!) before I'm allowed to board :D

Anyone aware of hotels in the Miami area with free shuttle service from airport, and to the port? Since I do have to stay overnight since I get in pretty early in the a.m. (...don't want to be crabby!)

Anyone aware of hotels in the Miami area with free shuttle service from airport, and to the port? Since I do have to stay overnight since I get in pretty early in the a.m. (...don't want to be crabby!)

La Quinta East is a budget motel that offers free aiport and port shuttles. Good luck! :)

Archived