Binnoculars

ntvsdgrl

Here's a random question...I'm looking to get binnoculars for my Alaskan cruise next year (adding to my birthday/Christmas list :D), and I know nothing about binnoculars. Any suggestions on what kind to get? I don't want anything too expensive. Everyone says it's a must on an Alaskan Cruise.

Thanks.

Each person responding to you will have a different answer, and the ones you will want to consider depend on who you are, where you are in life, and what you see yourself doing in the next 20 years.

My husband and I own many pairs of binoculars, beginning with the first pair we bought back in the '70's...a rather inexpensive Bushnell that we now let the grandkids use. The last 3 we've bought are top quality...yes, we still have all 3...1 at our cabin so we don't have to be taking a good pair back and forth in the snow machine and boat, 1 that is my husband's for hunting (that I rarely touch--wouldn't want to get them out of focus), and then mine, which I travel with and use around the house (and occasionally loan to visitors). And there are several pairs inbetween, all with a use.

If you see yourself traveling for the next 20 years (or if you just want to enjoy the nature around you), I would advocate getting the best pair you can. Good binoculars open a whole new world, but if you get cheap ones, you'll wonder why people bother to use them.

I personally have the best Zen-Rays, which under most conditions rank right up with the far more expensive Zeiss and Swarovski that we own.

1) It will help you to make a decision if you become familiar with the terms here: http://www.binoware.com/glossary.php

2) Also, read reviews. I suggest reviews first on websites frequented by people who use binoculars a lot (hunters, birders, guides, and people whose job it is to check out that type of thing...you get the idea), and have experience with many pairs. IMHO, a review by someone who has used them one trip and hasn't ever tried other pairs can't offer as much as people who've experienced many pairs.

3) Don't buy before trying out various types and sizes of binoculars. Go to a well-stocked sporting goods store (box stores are fine, because you have a large distance to focus on, but if a small store will let you take them outside to compare them, that is better). Some things to consider: http://www.opticsplanet.com/how-to-buy-binoculars.html

This might seem like a lot to do for "just" a pair of binoculars...but if you are young enough, they may be with you for 20 years or more (our first pair, after all, is 40 years old, and still usable, although our needs (and pocketbook) have changed over the years.

Here's a random question...I'm looking to get binnoculars for my Alaskan cruise next year (adding to my birthday/Christmas list :D), and I know nothing about binnoculars. Any suggestions on what kind to get? I don't want anything too expensive. Everyone says it's a must on an Alaskan Cruise.

Thanks.

Well you need to define what is expensive to you however don't waste your money on really cheap ones. You can get a pretty good pair of Nikon's, Minolta's or something of that nature for say $150+ for a pair of 10x50 and that is online. I have a 10x50 All Weather pair I have had for years and use for many things, they are great. At 10x50 they offer pretty good magnification while giving you a wide enough angle to find things fast. I also have a pair of Cannon Image Stabilization binoculars and they are more powerful and incredible but they cost a lot more money. I see others have mentioned some really good brands but without knowing your budget it is hard to make a call but you will be happy with a good pair of All Weather binoculars. Best of luck to you.

Here's a link to a thread with links to previous threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1616608&highlight=binocular

You're wise to try some pairs in a store to see how heavy they are, how comfortable they are, etc. Think about whether you plan to take them while walking/hiking/touring on foot, or just to use on deck.

Try different sizes and price ranges. I read somewhere that really expensive binoculars are easier to look through all day long but figured I wouldn't be doing that given my present level of interest.

Happy shopping and enjoy your trip.

I went to REI today and bought some 12 x 52 magnification Alpen brand. They were on clearance for $68.00. I like the way they fit on my eyes and aren't overly heavy. While I was there I also bought a pair of hiking socks. I was looking for waterproof but the guy there said to have the shoes waterproof and where comfortable cushioned hiking socks instead. I'm hoping to get them for my birthday/Christmas this year.

• 2 weeks later...

we have 3 pairs of binoculars for our trips. Bushnell Elite, Zen-Ray VISTA and SUMMIT binoculars. If you can afford, try to get Swarovski binoculars. The view is just too addicting. There are many other binoculars out there with different size and power. For travel, we always take either 8x42 and 10x42 binoculars. They need to be waterproof so the rain does not ruin the glasses while in Alaska. IMO, the best binoculars for the money is Zen-Ray summit. I have compared it to my $800 Elite. I think the summit is actually more comfortable to use. Another similar binocular is Nikon Monarch 7. You cannot go wrong with either pair.

We bought an OK pair of Busnells before we went to AK in August.

I had not used Binos before and really did not get much use from them. By the time I could focus them on an animal it had moved. I am sure practice would have made this a better experience. I did find them useful for the dall sheep in Denali. They look like specks on the mountain without them. However, even with them they looked like bigger specks with feet. LOL

We took the Tundra Wilderness tour in Denali. I know it is more expensive than the shuttles. However, I really liked the 100x video camera the driver has. She was able to focus on the animals much better than me.

So my advise is make sure you practice a lot with whatever you buy--or do not bother.

My advice would be to go with a 7 X 35 or 8 X 50 as this tends take the motion of the ship out of the equation and it the standard in marine binoculars. Personally I have a pair of 8 X 50 Fujinons but they are over $500 a copy and while very nice there are certainly a number of brands available at about the $100 price point.

• 3 weeks later...

A word of advice based on personal experience: We recently did some research before purchasing and extra set of binoculars for our Yellowstone/Glacier NP vacation. Researched for months. Decided on the perfect one. Got to the sporting goods store, tried them out, completely changed our mind and bought something totally different. You might be OK purchasing online, sight unseen, but try to get to a store and try them on for size. The clincher, in my case, was the way you focus them. I prefer the tilting focuser vs the rolling focuser. (I know those are not the correct, technical descriptions but it's the best I can do to describe)

Archived