4yo, 2yo transfer to port

canadian85

Not sure if this is applicable, but we started traveling with our little one when she was 23 months of age (we drove to the port, with the car full of stuff, and after cruise drove down to San Diego, for her first hotel stay). My hubby got a giant duffel bag (canvas) and would put the car seat in that when not in use -- it fit in the cabin's closet, and when she was big enough for a booster, we would dissemble and assemble as needed, putting rope around the parts when putting it into the duffel. Something to think about even if not bringing car seats this time.

Also, if flying or taking the train to our embarkation port, we always plan to get in a day ahead and do some shopping for anything we'd left behind. You'll definitely want to have a good supply of any diapers and pullups as you can't depend on the ship carrying these (or if they do, maybe not your child's size). Also any medications they might need.

If you are on a Carnival or Princess ship, there are self-service laundries which come in very handy if you want to keep down how much clothing to pack. Probably all (or most) cruiselines have their laundry services, but we've never used them (besides the cost, my daughter is allergic to regular detergent).

Not bringing 2 carseats if you plan on riding in a car is unsafe.

That's the misconception that causes all the arguments. Riding in a car without a child seat is a safe way to travel. Far safer than walking. It's just not as safe as riding in a car with a child seat.

Maybe its just where I live, but LOTS of people put their 2-4yr olds in those types of carriers for travel, to have hands free and not have to haul a stroller. It was just an idea b/c you seem like you have a hard time keeping both kids contained without their hands being held.

Not bringing 2 carseats if you plan on riding in a car is unsafe. Which is why I suggested the bus, because you seem to think its not possible for 2 adults to handle 2 kids and 2 carseats and luggage.

Maybe I just have better behaved kids, mine and the ones I babysit - I've never ever ever 'put them at risk' by carrying 'stuff' and keeping track of all 3 of them. They stay close, the littlest either holds my hand or rides in a carrier (she is 21months), and the other 2 walk beside me. I've never felt they were in danger and they are all always close enough to grab in any emergancy. Sorry but where am I risking lives?

Good idea, take the bus. Then you can hold everyone's hand.

You have a very thick skull.

I didn't say I didn't think it was possible to handle the carseats...

I was being facetious about riskng their lives because that's how you sound to me. My kids are actually very well behaved, I don't have a hard time keeping them contained. That's like me saying to you, "you must drive in really dangerous conditions since you put your kids in a carseats".

leighi123 - you are not the all-seeing, all-knowing car seat goddess. You keep imposing your views about what is safe versus unsafe but the OP DIDN'T ask you for your opinion on that. Are you not reading his posts or do you just step up on your soapbox at will without be asked to do so?

That's the misconception that causes all the arguments. Riding in a car without a child seat is a safe way to travel. Far safer than walking. It's just not as safe as riding in a car with a child seat.

Where did you get that info? Car accidents are the #1 cause of accidental death in children and adults aged 1-25. Drowning is #2. "Walking" is not even on the list. It is NOT a safe way to travel, not at all.

You have a very thick skull.

I didn't say I didn't think it was possible to handle the carseats...

I was being facetious about riskng their lives because that's how you sound to me. My kids are actually very well behaved, I don't have a hard time keeping them contained. That's like me saying to you, "you must drive in really dangerous conditions since you put your kids in a carseats".

You said in a couple places that you weren't comfortable having 1 adult be in charge of 1 or both kids AND carrying bags. I made several suggestions as to how this could be safely done (using a wheely cart, using a carrier, using a stroller, having one parent wait with the bags/kids while the other moves them, etc), but you shot down all of those ideas. Which is why I said "ok then, if you think its too hard to handle the carseats in addition to everything else, take the bus!". You ASKED for ways to handle 2 kids, bags and a transfer to port. You ASKED "what about carseats". I answered, you didn't like my answer. So sooooorrryyyy! Sheesh.

leighi123 - you are not the all-seeing, all-knowing car seat goddess. You keep imposing your views about what is safe versus unsafe but the OP DIDN'T ask you for your opinion on that. Are you not reading his posts or do you just step up on your soapbox at will without be asked to do so?

OP asked about carseats, other people were giving unsafe opinions (i.e. rent a carseat), Why is it a bad thing to suggest ways to keep 2 kids safe?

Since the laws of physics apply whether you are at home or on vacation, on a cross country trip or driving around the corner, I cannot imagine not securing my child in an appropriate car seat. How on earth would you live with yourself if something happened to your child during that quick drive to the port? Yes lugging car seats is inconvenient, but it is just part of being a responsible parent.

Where did you get that info? Car accidents are the #1 cause of accidental death in children and adults aged 1-25. Drowning is #2. "Walking" is not even on the list. It is NOT a safe way to travel, not at all.

You said in a couple places that you weren't comfortable having 1 adult be in charge of 1 or both kids AND carrying bags. I made several suggestions as to how this could be safely done (using a wheely cart, using a carrier, using a stroller, having one parent wait with the bags/kids while the other moves them, etc), but you shot down all of those ideas. Which is why I said "ok then, if you think its too hard to handle the carseats in addition to everything else, take the bus!". You ASKED for ways to handle 2 kids, bags and a transfer to port. You ASKED "what about carseats". I answered, you didn't like my answer. So sooooorrryyyy! Sheesh.

OP asked about carseats, other people were giving unsafe opinions (i.e. rent a carseat), Why is it a bad thing to suggest ways to keep 2 kids safe?

It's not that I didn't like your answer, it's how you came across as condescending. I hope you don't teach your kids to treat people like that. And I will take your advice and take a bus, thanks for that tip.

Since the laws of physics apply whether you are at home or on vacation, on a cross country trip or driving around the corner, I cannot imagine not securing my child in an appropriate car seat. How on earth would you live with yourself if something happened to your child during that quick drive to the port? Yes lugging car seats is inconvenient, but it is just part of being a responsible parent.

Did you read my posts? I never said I would put the kids in a taxi etc without carseats. As above we will be using a bus.

You're misinterpreting the figures, leighi. When a child pedestrian is killed being hit by a car, the cause of death is NOT given as "walking", just as when a child car passenger dies the cause of death is not given as "riding". In both cases, it's a road accident, and it's only when you split it down that you see how many of them were on foot and how many in a vehicle. In the UK, at least, approximately 2/3 of child road deaths are of child pedestrians, only 1/3 children in cars. And as the average child travels much further in a car each year than they do on foot, then the death rates while on foot are WAY higher than the death rates in a car over the same distance.

You're misinterpreting the figures, leighi. When a child pedestrian is killed being hit by a car, the cause of death is NOT given as "walking", just as when a child car passenger dies the cause of death is not given as "riding". In both cases, it's a road accident, and it's only when you split it down that you see how many of them were on foot and how many in a vehicle. In the UK, at least, approximately 2/3 of child road deaths are of child pedestrians, only 1/3 children in cars. And as the average child travels much further in a car each year than they do on foot, then the death rates while on foot are WAY higher than the death rates in a car over the same distance.

Yes, but when they are travelling in a car they are in a CAR SEAT! In order for your data to make sense, you need the stats for kids involved in accidents while travelling unrestrained in car seats in cars. You need to compare apples to apples. In this case compare pedestrian pediatric fatalities verses unrestrained pediatric auto fatalities.

Yes, but when they are travelling in a car they are in a CAR SEAT! In order for your data to make sense, you need the stats for kids involved in accidents while travelling unrestrained in car seats in cars. You need to compare apples to apples. In this case compare pedestrian pediatric fatalities verses unrestrained pediatric auto fatalities.

In order for it to make 100% statistically accurate sense, you're right. You'd also need to compare speeds at which the vehicle was travelling, because obviously if for some emergency reason you did have to be in a taxi with no child seat, you would of course tell the taxi driver to go at no more than 20mph, knowing that 20mph is much safer than (say) 70mph.

But even if you go back 25 years or so, when child seats were rarer, or 50 years or so when rear seat belts were unknown, child pedestrian fatalities have always been worse than child passenger fatalities. The simple reason is, if you're on a busy road and someone for whatever reason loses control of his vehicle and hits you, you are far better off unrestrained in a car than unprotected on foot.

I can't remember which shuttle company we used in FLL since we cruise so much but honestly I have NEVER had a problem reserving carseats for either of my kids with any shuttle company. They have always brought them. We sail 3 times a year and every company we have used, has had them. Just call ahead of time(not the day of) let them know the ages of the children and they have them in the shuttle when it arrives.These shuttles are used to transporting kids. We haven't had a problem and have used shuttles probably 20 times since our kids were born. I used to lug the carseats but quickly realized it was too much. We don't do excursions in port requiring seats so it works for us. Google shuttles to port of Miami from FLL and call them and ask about the seats. I am sure they will have them.

Archived