Is it possible to walk to the Port Everglades, terminal 18 for the Allure?

ste

Will be cruising on Allure of the Seas 2nd-9th of December and was wondering is it possible to walk to the port from Ft. Lauderdale? I know taxi ride won't be expensive, but since we have to check-out from our hotel earlier than we are supposed to be at the dock, I'm thinking why not walk there? Would we be able to walk there and is it allowed? (For example in Europe it's not possible to walk to some airports as they seem to be "Non-pedestrian". How is it with Port Everglades?

Will be cruising on Allure of the Seas 2nd-9th of December and was wondering is it possible to walk to the port from Ft. Lauderdale? I know taxi ride won't be expensive, but since we have to check-out from our hotel earlier than we are supposed to be at the dock, I'm thinking why not walk there? Would we be able to walk there and is it allowed? (For example in Europe it's not possible to walk to some airports as they seem to be "Non-pedestrian". How is it with Port Everglades?

Not possible.

Without knowing what hotel you are in, I would say the walk would be difficult at best, due to heavy truck, taxi and van traffic and lack of sidewalks. It isn't really pedestrian friendly.

Also, I don't know the time of year you are sailing. In summer the weather will be extremely hot and humid, especially if you are carting luggage with you. If you are anything like me, you will arrive at Terminal 18 soaking wet.

For myself, I would kick in the money for a taxi and arrive at the terminal rested and relaxed. That's just me, though.

As an aside, Allure is my favorite ship. I hope you enjoy her as much as I do. Happy sailing.

Sailed the Allure earlier this month. We actually checked out early and left the hotel around 10 AM or so. No worries, you can take a taxi right to the dock and start the check-in process. There's a huge waiting area. We boarded the ship around 11:30 AM.

I'm going on the Allure December 2nd 2012, in 30+ days :) Taxi seems to be more reasonable indeed since there are no sidewalks. And since we're also dragging along luggage for our entire U.S trip (a week in Miami before the cruise), I'm guessing that would be a hassle as well. Thanks for your replies though, being first time in the U.S, first time on a cruise ship, you can imagine how many questions one has in her head :D

ste, I hope you don't mind if I post here a similar question I have regarding Terminal 18 at Port Everglades, instead of opening a new post ;).

We will be sailing on Oasis on November 17 this year. We will arrive by rental car from Tampa around 11am. We have to return the rental car at FLL airport before we check-in for the cruise.

I wonder now if it makes sense that my husband drops me off at Terminal 18 with all the luggage and then returns the car and takes a taxi back to Port Everglades? Can I wait there before check-in with the luggage? Or will security-people have a problem with that? Is there shade or do I have to wait in the plain sun? I suppose I can not start the check-in procedure without my husband being present, right?

Sorry if these are silly questions, but it's our first cruise from that port :).

ste, I hope you don't mind if I post here a similar question I have regarding Terminal 18 at Port Everglades, instead of opening a new post ;).

We will be sailing on Oasis on November 17 this year. We will arrive by rental car from Tampa around 11am. We have to return the rental car at FLL airport before we check-in for the cruise.

I wonder now if it makes sense that my husband drops me off at Terminal 18 with all the luggage and then returns the car and takes a taxi back to Port Everglades? Can I wait there before check-in with the luggage? Or will security-people have a problem with that? Is there shade or do I have to wait in the plain sun? I suppose I can not start the check-in procedure without my husband being present, right?

Sorry if these are silly questions, but it's our first cruise from that port :).

Do not have your husband drop you off.

There will be thousands of others like yourself, all getting dropped off. You could possibly wait for some time to just get the car into the dropoff zone.

Drop the car at the airport, grab a taxi, and get to the port between 10:30 and 11:00.

I'd do what you suggest--drop you off and the luggage, then drop off the rental car. There is a covered, shady area to wait outside the actual terminal. I don't recall if there are many benches to sit on outside the terminal...I think not. I have sat on my carry-on bag waiting for my Hubby.

I'm thinking your husband will need about half an hour to drop off the rental car and return depending on traffic and security gate delays.

I hope you enjoy the fabulous Allure as much as I do.

@johneeo, thank you very much for this information :). You are right, it makes no sense to line-up twice. So we will bring the car first to the rental-station.

We actually considered to drop me off first as we have a lot of luggage. After the cruise, we will go diving for a whole week and therefore drive directly to Key Largo from FLL. So we have to bring the dive-gear on board :rolleyes:.

There's a good chance the rental car company has a free shuttle to the pier.

ooops, now I have two different opinions here :D.

@HeavySurf: About what time have you been there? No long lines for the cars to get to the drop-off-zone?

The worst part of checking in was getting to the drop off point.

We sat in the taxi for some time waiting to get there.

I would not want to do this twice.

Also, as noted, the car rental company might have a free shuttle.

OK, thank you very much for the info. Will get first to the rental-station and hope for a shuttle. Taxi is ok, too. It's not a financial issue, just the luggage-hassle :p.

@johneeo: By the way, your photo-review inspired us to bring a big Swiss flag to hang over the reeling for the sailaway (like the "ROLL TIDE"-one!) :)

technically you can drop off your luggage with the bag guys without your husband. You can even check in seperately if you have signed two seperate credit card accounts. My daughter and I often show up at the port at different times (same room). Or you can wait for him before processing. There will be placed to sit outside and inside. However, I don't see the point of dropping you, returning the rental car and returning in a taxi. both of you should just drop the car and get a taxi back

Even if you are at one of the hotels next to the pier, it would be a long walk to Pier 18. And as others have said the port wouldn't/doesn't allow that anyway.

We just came back from Allure. Stayed at the Comfort Inn. We arranged for a taxi at 11 am (instead of the group shuttle). Taxi was there at 11 and we were checking our luggage at 11:22 am. We were walking on the ship at 11:30 (we are D+ and they allowed us to join a group that was boarding at the time so we didn't wait at all).

Cost of the taxi from Comfort Inn to Port was $22 (including tip). Taxi from Port to airport was $13.50 plus tip. Cheaper than the group shuttle (they charge $11 per person).

As for rental car, unless you need it in the AM, if there is a shuttle from the airport to your hotel drop the car off the night before and catch the shuttle back to the hotel (no charge). We did this and had no problem. Much easier than trying to do it in the AM.

Thanks everyone for the info. Will take the taxi as we have 4 suitcases with us (2 for checked luggage and 2 small ones).

Another question, can I lock my luggage before I check it in or not? Don't really like the idea of my suitcase wondering around the port and ship and waiting behind the cabin door in the hallway?? But if I lock it and they find something they want to check out, will they cut my lock open?

We have done this many times. The advantage is that it saves the hassle of dragging luggage in and out of the taxi or car shuttle van.

Thanks everyone for the info. Will take the taxi as we have 4 suitcases with us (2 for checked luggage and 2 small ones).

Another question, can I lock my luggage before I check it in or not? Don't really like the idea of my suitcase wondering around the port and ship and waiting behind the cabin door in the hallway?? But if I lock it and they find something they want to check out, will they cut my lock open?

We always lock our luggage.

You can lock your luggage but be sure to carry all valuables in your carry-on luggage. You want valuables under your control at all times.

If they need to inspect your luggage they'll put it aside and notify you to come down for an inspection.

Archived