do you feel your laptop is safe using free WI FI in the port cafes

newbie3815

]Has anyone experienced computer issues on their laptops, after using the free WI FI at cafes in the ports? We are stopping at Cozumel, Belize, Rotan and Grand Cayman. I have Norton antivirus. My main goal is to check my personnel email.

thanks

]Has anyone experienced computer issues on their laptops, after using the free WI FI at cafes in the ports? We are stopping at Cozumel, Belize, Rotan and Grand Cayman. I have Norton antivirus. My main goal is to check my personnel email.

thanks

I didn't have an issues in Belize. I would add Malwarebyte pro to your laptop just in case.

I may not be the most computer savvy but I don't think the ability to access the internet causes problems...just what you open or what you search once you get there. Your search engine will be the same' date=' wouldn't it?[/quote']

Actually immediately after you connect to a wifi depending on their setup others may have access to your files on your PC if you don't have file sharing off.

Actually immediately after you connect to a wifi depending on their setup others may have access to your files on your PC if you don't have file sharing off.

Don't you turn "file sharing" on only when you want someone, like a Tech, to have access to your computer. Is it a normal practice for some people to "share" their computer? Interesting.

I may not be the most computer savvy but I don't think the ability to access the internet causes problems...just what you open or what you search once you get there. Your search engine will be the same' date=' wouldn't it?[/quote']

If someone wanted to they could monitor what you were doing and grab passwords and other personal data while you were logged in to a wifi connection.

its preety easy to "sniff out ones password, gain entry" to your puter.

tools are free and are available with a simple search on the net ( man in the middle attack)

If i had sensitive data stored on a pc I would not be attaching to a public wi fi without some other counter measure in place.

But is a port wi-fi and less safe than one at the New York public library? If you travel with a lap top aren't you risking your computer every time you access wi-fi anywhere. Wouldn't your computer be just as vulnerable using the ship's internet access? What could possibly be the diff?

Do you have some sort of top secret information that you need to protect on your laptop that you need to be that concerned? If not, then don't worry about it. You probably won't be connected long enough to worry about someone taking the time and effort to get into your laptop and locate those precious secret files.

And what hacker would want to waste their time trying to get into a tourist's laptop/pad/phone? Really not worth it. The danger is hyped by media and tech companies to sell their protection software, so don't fall for it.

As for your passwords, etc.. if you're logging into a secure connection (SSL) and have the lock icon on the browser, you should be fine and your information is encrypted.

It really isn't difficult - certainly not rocket science. When usernames and passwords are sent in plain text and a program is designed to look for keywords, the hacker can be knocking back cocktails while the computer does all the work.

Unencrypted WiFi is only as safe as those around you. Do you feel lucky?

It really isn't difficult - certainly not rocket science. When usernames and passwords are sent in plain text and a program is designed to look for keywords, the hacker can be knocking back cocktails while the computer does all the work.

Unencrypted WiFi is only as safe as those around you. Do you feel lucky?

I only sign into email or CC or such when Im on wifi in a port.

ONCE I had to sign into my bank.. it was a emergency.. but generally anything pay related I do not sign into.. I hated to do it.. but I took the chance once in Jamaica.

I only sign into email or CC or such when Im on wifi in a port.

ONCE I had to sign into my bank.. it was a emergency.. but generally anything pay related I do not sign into.. I hated to do it.. but I took the chance once in Jamaica.

Same here. I don't keep anything important on my laptop and wouldn't log into work or my bank on it unless absolutely necessary (except for at home) and then I would change the password at my earliest safe opportunity.

Don't you turn "file sharing" on only when you want someone' date=' like a Tech, to have access to your computer. Is it a normal practice for some people to "share" their computer? Interesting.[/quote']

It is normal to turn it on and most people don't realize what they opened their computer up to. A good practice is turn it off when not in use or if you need to share information on your personal network share a folder only.

Do you have some sort of top secret information that you need to protect on your laptop that you need to be that concerned? If not, then don't worry about it. You probably won't be connected long enough to worry about someone taking the time and effort to get into your laptop and locate those precious secret files.

And what hacker would want to waste their time trying to get into a tourist's laptop/pad/phone? Really not worth it. The danger is hyped by media and tech companies to sell their protection software, so don't fall for it.

As for your passwords, etc.. if you're logging into a secure connection (SSL) and have the lock icon on the browser, you should be fine and your information is encrypted.

Some may consider it hyped by the media but taking a few precautions would help because having your bank accounts etc compromised on vacation is the worse timing. I agree though the chances of the worse case happening as a result of connecting to a free wifi is remote at best.

I truly must be a victim waiting to happen 'cause I never ever think about things like WiFi safety. I do everything on my computer, from bill pay to bank transfers to checking on my stocks. I also walk down the streets of New York or San Francisco at night, travel alone, and trust that the guy who pulls over to help me with a flat tire is just a super sweet good Samaritan. I must be incredibly lucky, I guess.

thanks

Your laptop information is never truly safe using public wifi connections anywhere. I have Norton 360 loaded on my laptop, I find that is enough. I only store passwords within Norton not in Internet Explorer. I just don't access any financial information when away from home. I usually just check email or access game website.

I have launch codes on mine:D

While on any public wi-fi. I would not access any web sites that has any financial information.

Banks, pay bills online, and credit card sites to check your balance.

This information can be intercepted.

Remember CB Radios?:confused:

You can listen in on other peoples conversations.

Close to the same thing but, you need to know what you are doing for wi-fi.

While on a cruise I have far better things to do than to watch other peoples internet traffic.:D

So, it more unlikely someone will be "listening" in.

I'm a pretty computer savvy guy. I've worked on these things both hardware and software for many years. I have some pretty good protection software, with that said, I got hacked twice last year!

Any time you connect to a public network, people that want to can monitor every key stroke you make. If you log into any account, they can see the account and your password and log in name. As for being paranoid, there are people that make they're living doing that very thing. In tourist area's it's a whole cottage industry. Checking email or looking at maps etc is pretty harmless. Any account that requires logging in, such as your bank etc. is pretty risky business. It's the same anywhere, here in the U.S., on board ship or overseas. https in the address line is encrypting what you send, it is not encrypting what you are putting in locally. Be careful. For those that say, "don't worry" it's only a matter of time.;)

For Windows 7:

1. On the Start menu, click Control Panel, and then click Network and Sharing Center.

2. In the panel on the left, click Change advanced sharing settings, and then click the arrow next to Home or Work.

3. Check the following settings:

Network Discovery: Off

File and Printer Sharing: Off

Public Folder Sharing: Off

File Sharing Connections: Use 128-bit encryption...

4. Click Save Changes

We have a netbook we travel with and it contains no bank account numbers, no credit card info, no passport, birthdays.........

We do access our personal e-mails with it but in the abougt 7 years we've used it all over the Caribbean and domestically in public WiFi locations, we've never had a problem. I would not use a public connection to enter a high limit credit card number or personal bank accounts. I think that could be a bit risky.

Using public wifi is always risky. If you're going to do it make sure you have a good, current, anti-virus scanner running (I use Kaspersky), you have a firewall up and running, even if it's the one included with Windows, and you have file sharing off. With free unencrypted public wifi you should assume anything you send over it may be intercepted, even if you've taken all the precautions. The precautions are to protect files ON your computer. That means be careful about sending private information and especially banking information. If I had a choice between a free public wifi and a modest fee access to a private WPA2 protected wifi I would probably choose to pay for the protected. Currently WPA2 is pretty much uncrackable with a strong password. WEP encrypted systems are pretty much unprotected. I've seen people break into them with free easily available tools in under a minute.

<snip>

. If I had a choice between a free public wifi and a modest fee access to a private WPA2 protected wifi I would probably choose to pay for the protected. Currently WPA2 is pretty much uncrackable with a strong password. WEP encrypted systems are pretty much unprotected. I've seen people break into them with free easily available tools in under a minute.

Whatever any of that means. :D

I think you were writing/speaking English bu I have no clue what any of that means. :o

Archived