Just got a Canon D10!

OKsoftballmom

Thank you so much to all the members who have posted in last six months about underwater cameras. Based on your advice and my budget, I bought a Canon D10. I've only had it a few days, but absolutely love it! I will not get to "practice" underwater with it until we get to Hawaii. I have a question for those of you who use the D10 - do you normally use the "automatic underwater" setting or adjust it? We are only going to be snorkeling this trip, so light should not be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a question for those of you who use the D10 - do you normally use the "automatic underwater" setting or adjust it?

I have used the D10 in about 6 snorkeling trips. I have found the automatic setting perfect for most normal applications. Clarity of the water and shadows usually dictate the use of the on board flash. I have forgotten to turn on the underwater mode on a couple of occasions, and it took a bunch of post processing the photos to try to recover them.

Don't forget the video mode as well.. good luck.

• 1 month later...

I love my Canon D10 and have suggested it to tons of people on here. I think the quality of not only the underwater pictures, but the land pictures AND the night pictures are amazing. I have highly recommended it to people and I loved mine so much that I ended up purchasing a second one for the hubby to have while on vacation too. That way we don't fight over it while snorkeling or on tours. :D

I don't know if you've seen any of my underwater pictures, but I would be happy to show you them to inspire you. :p

I have one and I do like it, but mine is slowly dying. Every so often I have issues with the lens shutter and unfortunately that issue came up after the warranty period expired (literally a week afterwards while I was still on vacation). It does a decent job of taking underwater photos (I've taken it diving), so for the cost I'd still recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...
I have one and I do like it, but mine is slowly dying. Every so often I have issues with the lens shutter and unfortunately that issue came up after the warranty period expired (literally a week afterwards while I was still on vacation). It does a decent job of taking underwater photos (I've taken it diving), so for the cost I'd still recommend it.

Do you know the trick to fix that? Or have you tried it yet?

Nope, unfortunately I haven't figured it out, so it still is a hit and miss on whether it will work or not :(

TRY THIS- with the camera turned off, hold down the "FUNC SET" button and instead of using the power button on top of the camera to turn on the camera, push the 3rd button above the display screen (It has a picture of a blue arrow pointing to the right...and is the button you can use to turn your camera on when you just want to view your photos on the camera's display screen)... If you press both these buttons together, the camera will turn on with a display of a strange digital clock on the screen.

Next just push the button in the middle (again referring to the 3 buttons above the screen, it has a icon picture of a camera and a movie camera)... it opens up your lens even if you have gotten the "lens error" message. ;)

TRY THIS- with the camera turned off, hold down the "FUNC SET" button and instead of using the power button on top of the camera to turn on the camera, push the 3rd button above the display screen (It has a picture of a blue arrow pointing to the right...and is the button you can use to turn your camera on when you just want to view your photos on the camera's display screen)... If you press both these buttons together, the camera will turn on with a display of a strange digital clock on the screen.

Next just push the button in the middle (again referring to the 3 buttons above the screen, it has a icon picture of a camera and a movie camera)... it opens up your lens even if you have gotten the "lens error" message. ;)

I gave it a try and it beeped at me :P The lens didn't open up. I think this camera is pooched. I really didn't want to replace this camera so soon, but I think I may have to bite the bullet and get something before this trip.

I gave it a try and it beeped at me :P The lens didn't open up. I think this camera is pooched. I really didn't want to replace this camera so soon, but I think I may have to bite the bullet and get something before this trip.

Well darn. I know others have stated giving it a "bang" on something some times opens it up. Not recommended, but if it's not working anyhow...may be worth a shot if you haven't already tried it.

Well darn. I know others have stated giving it a "bang" on something some times opens it up. Not recommended, but if it's not working anyhow...may be worth a shot if you haven't already tried it.

I know! I was really hoping your suggestion would work. I've already given it a few good smacks, not quite a bang, but like you said, it may be worth it if it's not working anyway. I think I'm most disappointed that it happened during a trip and just as the warranty expired.

Any suggestions on other waterproof cameras?

I know! I was really hoping your suggestion would work. I've already given it a few good smacks, not quite a bang, but like you said, it may be worth it if it's not working anyway. I think I'm most disappointed that it happened during a trip and just as the warranty expired.

Any suggestions on other waterproof cameras?

Well I have 2 of the Canon D10's because I love them. However, I was a dummy this past cruise 2 weeks ago and left with my Canon's but forgot the charger and the extra battery sitting in the charger at home in the wall charging. :eek: You talk about fit to be tied once I got on the ship and discovered this when I went looking for my battery charger once my 2 cameras died.

So, I was pretty much forced to buy whatever the ship was selling because I wasn't about to go without a camera on vacation.

I ended up purchasing the Olympus Tough (model TG 620). It's 12 megapixels and has a lot of functions. WAY more than my Canon's do. So many functions that I was so busy trying to learn the camera on my cruise that I didn't even notice some of the nice functions it has on it that I could have used. :cool: Darn.

Anyhow, so far, I'm VERY impressed with the pictures...both on land and in the water. VERY impressed.

If you are interested in seeing some of the pictures I just took with it on our cruise 2 weeks ago. I can send you the link to my reviewing I'm doing. This will give you some idea of what it does. :)

Well I have 2 of the Canon D10's because I love them. However, I was a dummy this past cruise 2 weeks ago and left with my Canon's but forgot the charger and the extra battery sitting in the charger at home in the wall charging. :eek: You talk about fit to be tied once I got on the ship and discovered this when I went looking for my battery charger once my 2 cameras died.

So, I was pretty much forced to buy whatever the ship was selling because I wasn't about to go without a camera on vacation.

I ended up purchasing the Olympus Tough (model TG 620). It's 12 megapixels and has a lot of functions. WAY more than my Canon's do. So many functions that I was so busy trying to learn the camera on my cruise that I didn't even notice some of the nice functions it has on it that I could have used. :cool: Darn.

Anyhow, so far, I'm VERY impressed with the pictures...both on land and in the water. VERY impressed.

If you are interested in seeing some of the pictures I just took with it on our cruise 2 weeks ago. I can send you the link to my reviewing I'm doing. This will give you some idea of what it does. :)

Yes, please. Thank you :) I don't like the idea of not having a camera when I'm diving. It's nice to be able to capture a few photos while I'm down there.

Yes, please. Thank you :) I don't like the idea of not having a camera when I'm diving. It's nice to be able to capture a few photos while I'm down there.

Now just to let you know, the review I have been working is VERY VERY VERY LONG and detailed. So, you can just sift through all of it for the pictures.

The Olympus pictures start around the first port day (I purchased the camera the night before our first port) which is Costa Maya and our day spent at Almaplena. The one's before that where taken with my Canons. Well, maybe not now that I think about how I did the review. A lot of the ship pictures could have been done with the Olympus too since I put together a "tour" of the ship in the beginning of the review. Just know that if you are seeing port pictures, then you are seeing the Olympus. :D

So once you see the Almaplena review, you will be looking at the photos taken with the Olympus. Keep in mind, some are crappy because I was trying to learn this camera and had no idea what I was doing at that point. I was changing settings non-stop.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755846

I believe the Almaplena pictures start on post 190 on page 5 (at least on my computer it's page 5).

The start of most of my underwater pictures are from post 329 and on and the pictures only get better underwater as I learn how to operate the camera. :p

Archived