Substitute for Rumrunners

Jackie81

Gosh!! Thanks everyone for all of your advice! I will let y'all know what I came up with and if it worked or not. If all else fails, I heard The Splendor lets you order alcohol via room service. So if it gets taken we should be able to order a few bottles anyways. So excited!! CAN NOT WAIT!! :D

Help!!! I ordered some Rum Runners through a website a couple days ago. I just checked the shipping on it and the estimated delivery date isn't until Saturday... I leave for Denver tomorrow to catch an early flight on Saturday.:eek: So, fellow smugglers.... Can you tell me what I can substitute for a Rum Runner to get my alcohol on board? Tell me experiences, suggestions, all the "How to's" PLEASE!!!:p I live in a SMALL town and we only have a Wal-mart & Wallgreens here where I can go pick something up. Thanks. :)

Wait till your first stop.. buy in port... bring back on ship... they will tell you that you are supposed to leave your booze at the desk... just keep walking... easiest way... I do it every trip... never a problem.

Empty a generic plastic tonic bottle, fill with vodka or other clear booze and I mean fill it to the top. Place it in the freezer the colder the better, take out of freezer and you will notice the bottle partially collapsed. Take off the lid to let ambient air into the void and adjust level. Place a new tamper proof cap on the bottle (available at your local home brew or wine making supply shop) The reason for the freezing ( the boose will not acutaully freeze but will shrink) is to allow the bottle to become somewhat rigid like it was carbonated. Optional if you suspect the inspectors may shake the bottle. Add some corn syrup and simethicone to alter the bubble pattern.

Someone other than me used to do this, but someone else, maybe me just buys a bottle and set up from room service. It is a full litre and it is not that expensive on Carnival or HAL.

This is easy. Get a 6 pack 20oz coke bottles or whatever flavor to match you liquor. Empty one, or two, and fill with your choice of fun. They are thick and and seal well. Put them each in a zip lock bag and pack in your checked bags. Never had a leak or lose. Oh yeah, pack the rest of the 6 pack to camouflage the good one.

Wait till your first stop.. buy in port... bring back on ship... they will tell you that you are supposed to leave your booze at the desk... just keep walking... easiest way... I do it every trip... never a problem.

Yup, me too. I usually get extra since they are at a good price and just turn in what I don't need that week. So while you turn in most, your partner carries the rest to the cabin.

Since I sure they also read the site, I'm sure we are shooting ourselves in the foot to brag about how smart we are. But they won't ever catch us, right?;):rolleyes:

and don't believe all the hype about 'get plastic lids' these bags are scanned with xray, not metal detectors. I have a pic of the xray equipment on my old phone somewhere and I'm somewhat surprised that anything gets stopped...they didn't inspect any one bag too long. Maybe they just pull some so they show they're doing their job...choose plastic because its less likely to break, not because it improves your odds of getting caught.

I found some rum runner type they're called pocket bottles but they have a design on them would we get caught with a design will the X-ray machine see the design and send a red flag?

Most likely not. Another source is to go to a hiking store and get the plastic refillable bags that hikers use. Platypus is one company that makes them and they work great. Very similar to the RR and they are made to withstand some abuse and not leak.

Go to the drug store get a pack of adult depends, soak them in booze then just wear them. People may look at you weird & just feel sorry for you, but atleast you can party on!

Assuming this post is a serious post, you guy's have all missed your calling. I know a few high security penitentiaries whose inmates would gladly welcome you as one of their own.

I'm a firm believer in ordering from the Bon Voyage Dept. I got caught up in the "must have Rum Runners" before my first cruise. Then when I did the math (realize I'm Canadian) the liter bottles from BV are not THAT much more than what we pay here for them. I figured it was easier and no chance of loosing my booze investment. Also, it's nice to have an actual bottle in the room rather than a rum runner. JMO. I ended up putting my rum runners on ebay a few days ago when I came across them in my office clean out session.

Also, it's nice to have an actual bottle in the room rather than a rum runner. JMO. I ended up putting my rum runners on ebay a few days ago when I came across them in my office clean out session.

Good point Sarah. I also buy from BV, as there is something about pouring a drink from a plastic bag that just isn't quite the same! :)

Kevin C

I know a fellow that takes rum and vodka on every cruise. He buys a 12 pack of water that is shrink-wrapped. Then he carefully removes one of the end bottles without disturbing the shrink-wrap to much. He then fills most of the interior bottles with his choice of clear liquids, slides them back on the inside, then replaces the water bottles on the end. He then takes a hair dryer and re-shrink-wraps the package. The case looks completely normal and has walked on at least five ships that I'm aware of.

I know a fellow that takes rum and vodka on every cruise. He buys a 12 pack of water that is shrink-wrapped. Then he carefully removes one of the end bottles without disturbing the shrink-wrap to much. He then fills most of the interior bottles with his choice of clear liquids, slides them back on the inside, then replaces the water bottles on the end. He then takes a hair dryer and re-shrink-wraps the package. The case looks completely normal and has walked on at least five ships that I'm aware of.

Last December they tore apart the plastice wrap around the water and shook each bottle. It was a mess trying to take those bottle to the room...They did the same with our friends 12 pack of Coke. Opened the box and took each can out to examine.

So, the question lingers, did I get my alcohol on the ship... YES!!! :-) I was told that Carnival reads these forums though so I won't post it here as to HOW I did, but I did and it was fabulous. I will post a full review about our trip on the Splendor probably tomorrow night. I just got home tonight after A LONG flight and an even LONGER car ride!! So I'll be back. :)

So, the question lingers, did I get my alcohol on the ship... YES!!! :-) I was told that Carnival reads these forums though so I won't post it here as to HOW I did, but I did and it was fabulous. I will post a full review about our trip on the Splendor probably tomorrow night. I just got home tonight after A LONG flight and an even LONGER car ride!! So I'll be back. :)

Do tell email me how you did it leaving in 2 days! salazar3126@yahoo.com

would love to know also. Leaving in 3 weeks mardigrasgirl2006@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Archived