West End/Bay via Mini Bus & Water Taxi...

Linds1230

My husband and I are stopping in Belize next month (our first time there and his first cruise!) and the more and more I read, I want to venture out on our own and NOT book an excursion through RC. I read some older posts about taking mini bus from Coxen Hole to West End and then a water taxi to West Bay and I just want to see if anyone has done it recently. Any insight would be appreciated! We plan to beach it, eat, drink, and shore snorkel all day. Thanks!

My husband and I are stopping in Belize next month (our first time there and his first cruise!) and the more and more I read, I want to venture out on our own and NOT book an excursion through RC. I read some older posts about taking mini bus from Coxen Hole to West End and then a water taxi to West Bay and I just want to see if anyone has done it recently. Any insight would be appreciated! We plan to beach it, eat, drink, and shore snorkel all day. Thanks!

I am sure you realize that Roatan is part of Honduras not Belize

There is usually lots of taxis out side the port area

I am sure you realize that Roatan is part of Honduras not Belize

There is usually lots of taxis out side the port area

Yes, I've been researching both ports all morning and typed the wrong one. I meant Roatan. Thanks.

The min bus/water taxi system has been the same for as long as I can remember. Older info will be the same as it is today. The only glitch would be weather..if it is to rough the water taxis do not run.

If you have not seen this thread, I think it worth a look.

Is there something specific you wish to know, I may be able to help you. :)

The min bus/water taxi system has been the same for as long as I can remember. Older info will be the same as it is today. The only glitch would be weather..if it is to rough the water taxis do not run.

If you have not seen this thread, I think it worth a look.

Is there something specific you wish to know, I may be able to help you. :)

That is the thread I'm reading now, I'm about halfway through and it's been SO helpful! I just wanted to make sure nothing had changed. Thank you for your input!

• 5 weeks later...

We did try to do this last March off the NCL Star. First off, we did not find the bus stop as easily as we expected. Wasted a lot of time asking people and they all kept pointing us in different directions. Once we got on a bus we found the trip long and slow as we deviated off the main roads a few times to take people into little villages.

We saw the most extreme poverty as of yet on a cruise and we often venture off alone. Once we arrived at the town we found out the water taxis were not running as a storm had passed a few days earlier and the sea was still very choppy. We headed off along the shore and after about 35-40 walk including clambering over some rocky shoreline we ended up at West Bay beach. For the return trip we snagged a taxi ride with some fellow cruisers who had a taxi driver waiting for them.

Although we do not regret our little adventure we will be taking a taxi directly to West Bay Beach on our next stop in Roatan to allow us maximum time at the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

We were just there for a port day in Roatan. We saw one of the buses broken down at the side of the road and driver was flagging traffic around it. Didn't see any other buses during our tour of the island. Another couple from the cruise, tried to catch the bus but after waiting a long time gave up as it didn't show up. Not sure if there is only one bus and that was the one that was broken down?

We plan to go to West Bay for the day from the Crown Princess in March. There will be six of us - four adults and two teens. The ship offers a bus to Tabaya. Would it be better for us to take the ship's tour or get two taxi's on our own? Generally we try to avoid ship's tours. If we take a taxi there will we be able to get chairs, rent equipment, rent a locker, get food?

We plan to go to West Bay for the day from the Crown Princess in March. There will be six of us - four adults and two teens. The ship offers a bus to Tabaya. Would it be better for us to take the ship's tour or get two taxi's on our own? Generally we try to avoid ship's tours. If we take a taxi there will we be able to get chairs, rent equipment, rent a locker, get food?

The whole West Bay beach, about a mile long or so is lined with restaurants and beach bars. The only problem you might have is deciding between them all as to what menu you like the best. Beach chairs/loungers can be rented. We saw taxi vans at the Coxen Hole port and in the parking lot area behind Bananarama beach club at West Bay so quite likely your group of 6 will only need a taxi van. There were lots of taxis in that parking lot trying to get business so there should not be a problem getting a taxi back from West Bay. Also saw equipment rentals etc.

Archived