Wine Permitted to Carry Onboard Now

gw2fll

Anymore feedback from recent cruises? Just wonering how it went.

Boarded Navigator of the Seas on 24 November with two bottles of wine and had no issues. We actually could have carried four, since we went thru two different security lanes. (Talking to other passengers and did not notice we had separated until we were at the screener.) They did not record that we had two or anything.

The funny thing is I also accidentially carried two mini bottles of Bailey's and one mini bottle of Vodka with us. The flight attendant on the flight out had given us the liquor and I had tossed it in my backpack. Completely forgot about it until we were in our cabin and I started taking things out of my backpack when I found the three bottles in the bottom of my backpack. I guess they figured it was hair products or something.

It was really nice to sit on the balcony at sunset with a glass or two of wine without having to go to a bar to get a glass.

Well done Royal on the policy change.

Thanks for the pic..could read it good enough!!:D If you did not know of it then they must not be overly pushing it just yet.

To the champagne question, again from RCCL rep but yes champagne (so whatever this ships house is Korbel or whatever) and all champagne cocktails.

I for one am glad no $10 cap--I LOVE a Dirty Martini and that is never $10! 15 drinks a day, even with only Beer that would be a stretch for one person!

NO cup:( but I will survive I don't think I would get $45 addl worth, would be cool if you could buy the cup for an addl $10 or something.

As to the fleet wide question, again I was "told" Allure and Oasis only for the new additions the rest currently remain for UK sailings but who knows for sure and you are likely to know before the reps at RCCL! ;)

I am READY for my Cruise!!

Lots of misinformation in this thread. I am just off Allure from the 25Nov sailing which did include the premium alcohol package. It was $55/day and after tax/tip it was just over $400 per person. Everyone in cabin over 21 must buy the package. I never found an alcoholic drink it did not include. If there is a specialty glass you pay an additional fee for the glass. Beers up to $6.25 are included. We drank $10 plus martinis that were completely "free". There was a bit of confusion among the staff, especially early in the trip. They seemed to get the hang of it after a couple days. They are instructed to not give you a receipt ($0.00) because it would seem they were soliciting an additional tip. You can ask for a zero receipt if you do want to tip extra which we did on many occasions. Never found a house wine we didn't like. We had already purchased the wine package prior to departure and they gave us a credit for that towards the alcohol package. They refer to it as 'PI' and you get a PI sticker on your seapass card. I didn't see anything about the discount on bottles of wine but it may have been part of the program, I just didn't take note because the house wines were fine. I don't know specifically what they were.

This is a FANTASTIC addition to the already wonderful royal caribbean product.

Lots of misinformation in this thread. I am just off Allure from the 25Nov sailing which did include the premium alcohol package. It was $55/day and after tax/tip it was just over $400 per person. Everyone in cabin over 21 must buy the package. I never found an alcoholic drink it did not include. If there is a specialty glass you pay an additional fee for the glass. Beers up to $6.25 are included. We drank $10 plus martinis that were glad "free". There was a bit of confusion among the staff, especially early in the trip. They seemed to get the hang of it after a couple days. They are instructed to not give you a receipt ($0.00) because it would seem they were soliciting an additional tip. You can ask for a zero receipt if you do want to tip extra which we did on many occasions. Never found a house wine we didn't like. We had already purchased the wine package prior to departure and they gave us a credit for that towards the alcohol package. They refer to it as 'PI' and you get a PI sticker on your seapass card. I didn't see anything about the discount on bottles of wine but it may have been part of the program, I just didn't take note because the house wines were fine. I don't know specifically what they were.

Glad to hear that you thought it was worth it! I've been waiting to hear from someone who has used the package!

Lots of misinformation in this thread. I am just off Allure from the 25Nov sailing which did include the premium alcohol package. It was $55/day and after tax/tip it was just over $400 per person. Everyone in cabin over 21 must buy the package. I never found an alcoholic drink it did not include. If there is a specialty glass you pay an additional fee for the glass. Beers up to $6.25 are included. We drank $10 plus martinis that were completely "free". There was a bit of confusion among the staff, especially early in the trip. They seemed to get the hang of it after a couple days. They are instructed to not give you a receipt ($0.00) because it would seem they were soliciting an additional tip. You can ask for a zero receipt if you do want to tip extra which we did on many occasions. Never found a house wine we didn't like. We had already purchased the wine package prior to departure and they gave us a credit for that towards the alcohol package. They refer to it as 'PI' and you get a PI sticker on your seapass card. I didn't see anything about the discount on bottles of wine but it may have been part of the program, I just didn't take note because the house wines were fine. I don't know specifically what they were.

When you say they gave you a credit for the wine package, did they give a full credit? Was it on the spot when you bought the alcohol package? We are in the same boat and were curious how this was gong to work. We weren't sure if we would get a refund or if they would lower the cost of the alcohol package?

Hi can you remember what the house reds are? Was it any wine sold by the glass up to a certain value or just certain wines? Thanks :D

I saw in the other thread that someone was able to get partial credit for their wine package. Since I have the soda pass already reserved, does anyone know if they will credit that towards the alcohol package?

I am guessing only people that have cruised this past week would know this.

I was so excited about this package until I really thought about it and asked myself, "would I really be drinking more than 8 drinks per day in addition to the complimentary bottle of wine that our TA is giving us and the 2 bottles of wine that we are permitted to carry on now?" Probably not, and I also think we would be better off just paying as we go because we have the Crown & Anchor books with the drink coupons, drink of the day specials, and the 20% off specials in certain bars throughout the day, and the free champagne at the Captains Reception. Another reason why we decided against it is we are doing All-Inclusive Resorts for 2 port days so I'm sure after being there drinking all day we won't want to come back and trying to still drink at least 8 more drinks to justify our cost for the day. This will be our first time on the Oasis & Allure and we also will be doing their dining pkg and trying out many of their other eating places so we will probably be too full to drink that much.

I do have to say, I definitely would have considered it if they included the specialty coffees, juices, soda cup, and water in the premium pkg, (there may be a day when you aren't feeling well or just aren't up to drinking that day and at least you could have other options)

What happened to this thread? the name changed, and it got suddenly longer? were two threads amalgamated into one somehow? Sure is confusing.:confused:

Yes, the "bring two bottles of wine" and "all you can drink" threads (and probably some others) were combined. It does make it confusing when people that don't quote the posts they were responding to or realize that the liquor thread is now in with this one too.

It's kind of an odd combination of threads...

I was so excited about this package until I really thought about it and asked myself, "would I really be drinking more than 8 drinks per day in addition to the complimentary bottle of wine that our TA is giving us and the 2 bottles of wine that we are permitted to carry on now?" Probably not, and I also think we would be better off just paying as we go because we have the Crown & Anchor books with the drink coupons, drink of the day specials, and the 20% off specials in certain bars throughout the day, and the free champagne at the Captains Reception. Another reason why we decided against it is we are doing All-Inclusive Resorts for 2 port days so I'm sure after being there drinking all day we won't want to come back and trying to still drink at least 8 more drinks to justify our cost for the day. This will be our first time on the Oasis & Allure and we also will be doing their dining pkg and trying out many of their other eating places so we will probably be too full to drink that much.

I do have to say, I definitely would have considered it if they included the specialty coffees, juices, soda cup, and water in the premium pkg, (there may be a day when you aren't feeling well or just aren't up to drinking that day and at least you could have other options)

Sounds like you've got a great cruise planned! :D

First off ,I think its a shame that there is a debate at all. The alcohol programs are just "choices". If you don't want to buy it, don't. Same as if you don't want to go on a water slide, or eat at a restaurant. Each can do what they please.

Having said that, Hubby and I have purchased the premium beverage package on X, and loved it. I have no idea if we saved money or not, and that, for me, was exactly the point. If I felt like having a $10 martini, I had it ,and didn't worry about the cost. I loved not having a cabin littered with receipts from drink purchases. For me, it was more like budgeting and having it all done.

We have stayed at all inclusives in Mexico dozens of times. Yes, there is lots of booze, and yes, there is the odd person who gets inebriated. However, as a general rule, those who do would get hammered if they had to pay for each drink too (just watch them at the airport!!).

Remember that whether you have a beverage package or not, you still have to be served by a professional on a cruise ship. You cannot just drink as much as you like, you have to wait to be served, and can only get one drink at a time. The cruise lines are very careful about over-serving people, and can simply take a little longer to ask you if you want another, or be slower to bring it, in order to assist those guests who need to pace themselves a bit more.

I find it interesting that those who are worried about a ship full of drunk people have keyed in on the beverage cards, (which are controlled as mentioned above) yet are not concerned at all about those who buy wine packages and drink in their cabins. Things that make you go "Hmmmmm "?

All of that being said, I look forward to the Oasis of the Seas Jan 19th. You will find me at the Martini Bar.

Linda

Remember that whether you have a beverage package or not, you still have to be served by a professional on a cruise ship. You cannot just drink as much as you like, you have to wait to be served, and can only get one drink at a time. The cruise lines are very careful about over-serving people, and can simply take a little longer to ask you if you want another, or be slower to bring it, in order to assist those guests who need to pace themselves a bit more.

I wonder if overall beverage service on the ship will be slightly worse, if a lot of people purchase the package. Normally, there are always bartenders scouring the pool deck, WJ, and MDR taking drink orders. However, if a lot of people pre-pay with the package, there is less incentive to have as many bartenders and as consistent service. I think it will probably still be a minority of people who purchase the package, so the incentive will remain. However, I hope we don't start to see this happen if the package becomes very popular. I like that you can almost always order a drink right away while laying at the pool and not even have to get up!

I wonder if overall beverage service on the ship will be slightly worse, if a lot of people purchase the package. Normally, there are always bartenders scouring the pool deck, WJ, and MDR taking drink orders. However, if a lot of people pre-pay with the package, there is less incentive to have as many bartenders and as consistent service. I think it will probably still be a minority of people who purchase the package, so the incentive will remain. However, I hope we don't start to see this happen if the package becomes very popular. I like that you can almost always order a drink right away while laying at the pool and not even have to get up!

Firstly, the staff have a responsibility to make sure the beverage package holders are happy (without overserving) since they have already been tipped on the beverage package amount when it was purchased.

Secondly, when a staff member approaches you, he has no idea if you are a package person or not.. he is just asking if you want a drink. (no scarlet letters here!)

Third, human nature is to try to make more money, so why would they not be out hustling more customers?

Having experience with X's program, I can assure you, every customer got the same service (unless they were drunk, as previously stated) and no one went for lack of service.

The program does not change how much service available in any way... it just changes the process when paying for said drinks/service.

Linda

Below is taken right from RCCL FAQ page:

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A: Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use.

First off, thanks cruisin0425 for posting the official policy so we're not all trying to figure out how to beat the system. :D

Secondly, I know what it says about bringing non-alcoholic beverages on board, but we take an entire case of bottled water on board with us every cruise, and nothing has ever been said. We usually put the individual bottles in our checked luggage, but have put them in our carry-on luggage and also carried the shrink-wrapped case right through security. Has anyone had any problem with the "non-alcoholic beverage" called "water" being an issue?

I'm sure someone will prove me wrong here but I have never seen someone refused drink service on a ship (and I've been on over 25 cruises). And believe me I have seen some people hammered in the nightclubs, on deck and even in the CL.

When you pay for beverages with your cruise card (as opposed to cash) I think psychologically you tend to spend more freely than otherwise. This is probably true to a greater extent with the liquor package.

I'm personally pleased that RCI is offering this as an option on a couple of ships and hope it goes fleetwide soon although it does not make financial sense for my wife and I to take advantage.

This is not true on freedom. I am the only one in my cabin that has this.

Clay

You were able to purchase the package just for yourself and not for your cabinmate? Did you have to give a reason why your cabinmate could not drink, or did they simply ring up the package just for you? If the package could be purchased individually and not on a two-per-cabin basis I would definitely do this!

I leave for the Allure next weekend and I'd be interested to know what people's experiences have been with the new alcohol packages? Any details are appreciated.

I was on the Oasis last week and didn't even hear about the package until the last sea day, randomly, from a bartender. He said, "I've seen you two at all the bars on the ship! How come you didn't buy the package??" To which I said, "after seeing my bar tab, you have to be kidding me..." We had been to every bar a couple of times on the ship and not once did we see or hear about this. The concierge didn't mention it either. We had a suite this cruise, so we did take advantage of the CL and the free drink happy hour a good amount, but if we had purchased the package we wouldn't have been in there nearly as much. Oh well - hope others hear about it earlier than we did! X's package still seems MUCH better.

I was on the Oasis last week and didn't even hear about the package until the last sea day, randomly, from a bartender. He said, "I've seen you two at all the bars on the ship! How come you didn't buy the package??" To which I said, "after seeing my bar tab, you have to be kidding me..." We had been to every bar a couple of times on the ship and not once did we see or hear about this. The concierge didn't mention it either. We had a suite this cruise, so we did take advantage of the CL and the free drink happy hour a good amount, but if we had purchased the package we wouldn't have been in there nearly as much. Oh well - hope others hear about it earlier than we did! X's package still seems MUCH better.

I have to agree with you.

X's packages are much much better.......and ironically cheaper.

Royal lost my money on this one.......... There is no way I am paying 400.00 plus per person and paying seperately for a bottle of water or a cup of cappuchino.........

I'll stick with X for packages....... these packages make no sense..........

A couple of questions for the few that have tried the unlimited package so far..

1. Does this include private Islands like Labadee, I would assume so?

2. Would this package work for the beer bags if still offered or could you only get 1 or 2 drinks at a time?

3. I assume somehow the waiters get tipped but you can still add on additional tip?

4. Will this work with the Freestyle Coke machines? I have seen bartender coke's only but want to verify with someone that has used this package..

We travel on Allure in May & I guess most issues will be worked out by then..

Thanks for any answers.. :)