Wine Permitted to Carry Onboard Now

gw2fll

Okay, but how does one prove that? Do they open it up and sniff it or what? Don't get me wrong, I plan to carry on my wine but it would make me rather angry if they popped it open to prove it was wine!

They will open the mouthwash bottle. As for the wine, it will be sealed so no need to open.

I'm curious about how some people have talked about being called to the naughty room to confirm that the bottle in their luggage is wine. How do they do that? Just look at the bottle? I would say that that would confirm only that it was a wine bottle. I mean, how many people (none on these boards of course ;)) have put booze in mouthwash bottles and called it mouthwash? Just saying.

Oh come on. Say what you really mean. How many have put booze in a wine bottle,added food coloring, recorked and re-foiled it? I admit that I have never done that on a ROYAL ship. Not willing to talk about others.;)

Can you pack a corker and get it through security?

Yes but it can't have a blade, even one of the tiny dull foil cutter blades. I couldn't find one without a blade locally so I ordered one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/HomeAndWine-com-Black-Pocket-Corkscrew/dp/B0027HRNWW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1359332731&sr=8-8&keywords=Black+Pocket+Corkscrew

It works.

Since we will be wanting a cold glass of wine shortly after we are allowed in the room I also ordered one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OBEMZY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

And last bought two of these to put in it:

http://www.vivino.com/wine/rock-view-reserve-mendocino-chardonnay-2011.html

It's pretty nice if you like Chardonnay. I bought one to taste.

My spouse and I had the premium package on our cruise onboard the Century to Hawaii last fall. We found the package to certainly well worth the price since so much was included;

Fresh squeezed OJ in the buffet every morning.

Bottled water whenever you want, great for going ashore and coming back onboard.

Speciality coffees all day long including the ones with alcohol in them.

Soda and juices.

Smoothies.

All drinks less than $10 or $12, I forget which amount.

Although it doesn't include bottles of wine the Sommelier never let my wine glass go empty at dinner. :)

Bloody Mary in the AM for those times when you enjoyed your package the night before.

Need to remember that the package does not include room service or any items in your room.

Yes, you could say that it's expensive, however, I am on vacation and being an ex-sailor I really don't count my drinks, that's for sissies.:D

Pretty sure it was $12 limit, but my memory might be fuzzy too. Think we definitely got our money's worth. Really enjoyed meeting you both.

Read about being able to carry on 2 bottles of wine, but missed corkage fee. Maybe only in dining room? Excited for cruise, we booked about 4 weeks ago. Love going out of Baltimore, easy drive and no flying :)

Corkage fee is only if you take the bottles to a restaurant or bar.

• 4 months later...
not many corks in bottles of wine anymore

A corkage fee has absolutely nothing to do with actually removing a cork. It is a charge for bringing your own bottle of wine to a restaurant or bar that sells wine itself.

I did not read through all of the responses so I might be repeating this info.

I looked at the wine policy. It is two bottles PER CABIN (they can be no more than 750 ml). My understanding is that the 25-dollar uncorkage fee applies ONLY if the wine is consumed in a public place. If it's in the privacy of your cabin, it does not. At least that's what I get from reading the policy.

Hope that helps!

I did not read through all of the responses so I might be repeating this info.

I looked at the wine policy. It is two bottles PER CABIN (they can be no more than 750 ml). My understanding is that the 25-dollar uncorkage fee applies ONLY if the wine is consumed in a public place. If it's in the privacy of your cabin, it does not. At least that's what I get from reading the policy.

Hope that helps!

We filled our glasses in our room and took them to shows and dinner. No corkage fee.

We filled our glasses in our room and took them to shows and dinner. No corkage fee.

Makes total sense. How are they going to know if you purchased a glass of wine at one of the bars or you brought it from your stateroom :D

to skinman1: Going on Rhapsody of the Seas in September, that package looks great can you give me any more info as to price etc. Am an ex sailor so will require lubrication during the trip:D

Here are the package descriptions:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Onboard_Experience/13032790_2013_Beverage_Packages_Sales_Flyer.pdf

to gerif: Did not mean corkage charges only that most reasonable bottles of wine now come with screw caps so corkscrew is not required:)

Ah, gotcha. A lot of people seem to feel that if they open their own bottle they shouldn't get charged.

I just found out that Royal now allows you to bring bottles on board but wanted clarity. Can you do Champagne or just wine? Is there a corkage fee if you drink in your room? Is the corkage fee per bottle or person?

Thanks

I just found out that Royal now allows you to bring bottles on board but wanted clarity. Can you do Champagne or just wine? Is there a corkage fee if you drink in your room? Is the corkage fee per bottle or person?

Thanks

Champagne is allowed, as long as the bottle is 750ml or less. Corkage fee is $25 per bottle and may be charged if the bottle is brought to a public venue, like a restaurant or bar.

Do you have to carry on the wine or can they be in suitcases that are delivered to the cabin?

Either way is permitted. However, leaving the wine in checked bags may cause the bag delivery to be delayed until you go down to security and show them what's in your bag.

I carried mine in my hand luggage when we boarded Splendour of the Seas, and nothing was said by anyone from RCI. I wasn't asked about it by security and I wasn't asked to get it out or anything. In fact, I wished I had taken on more than two bottles as no one seemed to be bothered. I used to take a glass into the dining room each night and was never questioned. As another poster said, what's to say I hadn't purchased my glass of wine in the bar.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I carried mine in my hand luggage when we boarded Splendour of the Seas, and nothing was said by anyone from RCI. I wasn't asked about it by security and I wasn't asked to get it out or anything. In fact, I wished I had taken on more than two bottles as no one seemed to be bothered. I used to take a glass into the dining room each night and was never questioned. As another poster said, what's to say I hadn't purchased my glass of wine in the bar.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Did you pour your wine into one of the bar's wine glasses, or did you use the glasses they provide in the state rooms? Just wondering how to handle that when I leave out on Oasis this Saturday. Thanks in advance!

Did you pour your wine into one of the bar's wine glasses, or did you use the glasses they provide in the state rooms? Just wondering how to handle that when I leave out on Oasis this Saturday. Thanks in advance!

You can get wine glasses from any bar, stateroom attendant, or room service.

Either way is permitted. However, leaving the wine in checked bags may cause the bag delivery to be delayed until you go down to security and show them what's in your bag.

Obviously it is your choice, but it seems to me there are many good reasons to keep it in your carry-on. If there are any questions you can answer them on the spot. You avoid any risk of damage to things in your checked bag from broken bottle/spilled wine. Since you are carying it, you can make sure it is treated with care to make the chances of breakage in your carry-on minimal. You can greatly reduce the risk of theft. All of these reasons are magnified the more expensive the wine or the more special it is for other reasons.

Edited by mjldvlks