Orlando airport

theavonb

Hello, We are flying into MCO from Ontario, Canada and are wondering approx. how long it takes to get through customs, get your luggage and are outside the airport? We have a driver picking us up and would sooner wait until we are outside before calling them. Having never been to this airport, we don't know the layout or how easy it is to get through it.

Thankyou

I have not done an international flight to and from MCO, but is is an easy airport to get around. I would ask the company you have your shuttle with. They would be familiar with time frames, etc. When taking a shuttle, in most cases, I was told to call once luggage is gotten.

I have heard that it could take longer for Canadians to get through customs.

We went through US customs in Toronto (YYZ) traveling from Santiago, Chile on Air Canada back home to Orlando International (MCO). Have you checked to see whether the procedure is still the same?

As far as luggage wait time, it's considerable here in Orlando. Domestic flights will often wait up to 30 minutes before the luggage carousel starts up. 20 minutes is typical. When you say you have a driver picking you up, do you mean a shuttle or private limo? Normally they will ask that you wait until you have claimed your luggage before calling them. There is a commercial transportation area 1 flight below luggage claim where you'll wait for that sort of pickup at an assigned stall. If you have a friend picking you up, there is a cellphone waiting lot on the airport 3-5 minutes drive away from the terminals. Perhaps your ride can wait there (it's free) until you are out the door with your luggage. Once you are in MCO, you'll see getting around isn't as confusing as it may appear on a map. The directions signage is pretty good.

Orlando is pretty well geared up for international flights. If customs/immigration is too backed up, the sometimes actually delay leaving the plane until the back up clears.

From posts on other boards from friends that come from out of the US a couple of hints.

1. Make sure you get in the immigration line for non-US residents. If immigration is clearing US people fast, they will then call come over to the US line. But get in the correct line.

2. Once you clear immigration go to get your luggage. Make sure your customs form is complete, and ready hand over. The wait is usually longer for your baggage than it is for clearing customs (presuming the dogs don't sniff something in your bags). Definitely do not recommend food in your bags. Fruits and some meat products are NO NO's.

Have a great visit in the US.:D

We flew into Orlando last week from Toronto for our cruise. You clear customs in Toronto - so once you get off the plane you walk right down and pick up our luggage. There is a short monorail ride from the terminal to the main building, but it's only a few minutes. I would say we spent about 30 minutes from landing to luggage in hand. Very quick overall (and we regularly fly from YYZ to MCO).

Thanks everyone for your replies. We have a private driver picking us up. Do you have to request customs clearance in Toronto or does everyone going to the US go through customs in Toronto?

Thankyou

Every flight I have ever been on to the US from Toronto has you automatically clear customs, before you go through security. You are not given a choice.

It would depend on how many international arrivals are clearing customs.

One in awhile the computers go down.

Drivers monitor flight status and allow about 30 minutes for customs.

Best thing to do is call driver once you have reached baggage claim area.

There are help desks in terminal that can make the call for you.

Thanks everyone for your replies. We have a private driver picking us up. Do you have to request customs clearance in Toronto or does everyone going to the US go through customs in Toronto?

Thankyou

Most of the major Canadian airports, including Toronto (YYZ), have agreements with US Customs and Border Patrol that you will pre-clear US customs BEFORE you fly. Every time I've flown to the states (from Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, and Vancouver) I've pre-cleared customs. Makes it sooo much easier upon arrival in the US!

However, because of this, it's important to give yourself lots of time before your flight to both clear customs AND normal security. They're not kidding when they want you there 3 hours before an international flight! They're pretty efficient in Toronto, but I've come close to missing a flight out of Ottawa because of having a line-up to pre-clear customs.

When you get to Orlando (MCO), you'll have to board what Disney fans call the "mini-monorail" or the "fake-o-rail" to get to the main airport area. Pay attention to what side your luggage carousel is on. MCO has both an "A" and "B" side. Others may know what carriers tend to end up on what side. I often fly with only a carry-on or I use Disney's Magical Express luggage service (they pick it up for you!) when I fly to MCO.

I'd also check with your driver to see what side of the airport they plan on picking you up from. Hopefully they're able to pick you up on the same side that your luggage arrives on. If not, you can take the escalator back up to the main level, walk straight across, and go back down.

I'm a seasoned Canada to MCO traveller (many visits to Disney), so I'm happy to help you with any questions you may have!

~ Practically_Perfect

Most of the major Canadian airports, including Toronto (YYZ), have agreements with US Customs and Border Patrol that you will pre-clear US customs BEFORE you fly. Every time I've flown to the states (from Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, and Vancouver) I've pre-cleared customs. Makes it sooo much easier upon arrival in the US!

However, because of this, it's important to give yourself lots of time before your flight to both clear customs AND normal security. They're not kidding when they want you there 3 hours before an international flight! They're pretty efficient in Toronto, but I've come close to missing a flight out of Ottawa because of having a line-up to pre-clear customs.

When you get to Orlando (MCO), you'll have to board what Disney fans call the "mini-monorail" or the "fake-o-rail" to get to the main airport area. Pay attention to what side your luggage carousel is on. MCO has both an "A" and "B" side. Others may know what carriers tend to end up on what side. I often fly with only a carry-on or I use Disney's Magical Express luggage service (they pick it up for you!) when I fly to MCO.

I'd also check with your driver to see what side of the airport they plan on picking you up from. Hopefully they're able to pick you up on the same side that your luggage arrives on. If not, you can take the escalator back up to the main level, walk straight across, and go back down.

I'm a seasoned Canada to MCO traveller (many visits to Disney), so I'm happy to help you with any questions you may have!

~ Practically_Perfect

Thankyou so much. We are flying Westjet and I think we are on the A side.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived