Galveston - Worried about the Fog...

BadDaddy44212

SF did it and are headed to Super Bowl !

Yep we were rather fortuante. I was hoping for the Texans but a Harbaugh bowl is pretty cool

Now we are deciding if we are going to NOLA to see it frst hand. I read on another thread about freeway exits being shut down :eek:

Yep we were rather fortuante. I was hoping for the Texans but a Harbaugh bowl is pretty cool

Now we are deciding if we are going to NOLA to see it frst hand. I read on another thread about freeway exits being shut down :eek:

Hope you make it.

That would be cool trip for you!!

My wife and I were an intimate part of the fog debacle on the February 19, 2011 sailing of the Carnival Ecstacy. Our sailing was delayed by 36 hours. This was a logistics nightmare. Having said that, we are scheduled to sale on the Crown Princess out of Galveston on January 26th (4 days from now). We know that January and February is foggy season for Galveston. However, the rates that you get during this season are fantastic.

Here are two good rules:

Warm air + cold water = possible fog

Calm winds = fog that remains and burns / blows away slower

Several cruises (my estimation is 10%) out of Galveston are affected by fog resulting a delays of 2-4 hours (fog usually burns off in the late morning). Very very few Galveston cruises (my estimate is less then 1%) are crushed by the fog. I had one crushed (our 5 day 2 port turned into a 3 day 0 port cruise). However, we were given a 50% refund and a voucher for 50% our next cruise.

So, be aware of the situation. Observe the Galveston web cams. These things show you the conditions. If you are delayed on departing grab a meal and have several drinks. If your ship is not in port by 5pm, consider getting a room. It is better not to schedule early departing flights this time of year. If you are delayed on debarkation, schedule later flights.

If you are delayed, please remember that it is Mother Nature that has delayed you and it is the US Coast Guard that determines whether the port is closed. Trust me, the cruise lines do all that they can do to avoid and then remedy this situation.

Again, only a small percentage is affected. Thus, be aware buy do not be afraid.

We cruise out of Galveston on Feb 10th. I am a bit nervous about the fog, but I was wondering from anyone that has not been able to board the ship for the fog delay, if RCL called, emailed or texted you? I would hate to show up there with two small kids and have to sit all day. esp with no food or drink. I will go prepared now that I know this...

We cruise out of Galveston on Feb 10th. I am a bit nervous about the fog, but I was wondering from anyone that has not been able to board the ship for the fog delay, if RCL called, emailed or texted you? I would hate to show up there with two small kids and have to sit all day. esp with no food or drink. I will go prepared now that I know this...

Walk across the street one block

And stroll old town Strand St for

Food, shopping, antiques, confectionary ,

Nautical antiques,

Or go to short historical films at theatre , restored tall ship schooner ,

Maritime museum, train museum,

Drilling rig museum. Horse carriage rides.

All in area next to and across street from terminal.

Walk across the street one block

And stroll old town Strand St for

Food, shopping, antiques, confectionary ,

Nautical antiques,

Or go to short historical films at theatre , restored tall ship schooner ,

Maritime museum, train museum,

Drilling rig museum. Horse carriage rides.

All in area next to and across street from terminal.

Thanks for the ideas! Alll great stuff! I will scan the Galveston website for times, etc..

Thanks for the ideas! Alll great stuff! I will scan the Galveston website for times, etc..

We live here in Galveston!

Ask any question!

We are also on 1/27/13 Mariner!

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

We shall bring her back for your enjoyment!:D

Something else in Galveston there also is Galveston Historical Foundation (see web):

Dolphin Watching and Port Tour provided at Maritime Museum between Fishermans Wharf Rest.and GHF Film Theater.

It looks like you may have to deal with fog tomorrow am

Good luck to you guys;)

We were actually looking at that cruise, when the prices dropped, but I have to work in SF:o

My wife and I were an intimate part of the fog debacle on the February 19, 2011 sailing of the Carnival Ecstacy. Our sailing was delayed by 36 hours. This was a logistics nightmare. Having said that, we are scheduled to sale on the Crown Princess out of Galveston on January 26th (4 days from now). We know that January and February is foggy season for Galveston. However, the rates that you get during this season are fantastic.

Here are two good rules:

Warm air + cold water = possible fog

Calm winds = fog that remains and burns / blows away slower

Several cruises (my estimation is 10%) out of Galveston are affected by fog resulting a delays of 2-4 hours (fog usually burns off in the late morning). Very very few Galveston cruises (my estimate is less then 1%) are crushed by the fog. I had one crushed (our 5 day 2 port turned into a 3 day 0 port cruise). However, we were given a 50% refund and a voucher for 50% our next cruise.

So, be aware of the situation. Observe the Galveston web cams. These things show you the conditions. If you are delayed on departing grab a meal and have several drinks. If your ship is not in port by 5pm, consider getting a room. It is better not to schedule early departing flights this time of year. If you are delayed on debarkation, schedule later flights.

If you are delayed, please remember that it is Mother Nature that has delayed you and it is the US Coast Guard that determines whether the port is closed. Trust me, the cruise lines do all that they can do to avoid and then remedy this situation.

Again, only a small percentage is affected. Thus, be aware buy do not be afraid.

We were also in Galveston, waiting to board RCI's Voyager, same date and same time as your experience in February, 2011. We got to the port at about 5pm, and boarded some time after 8pm, after standing in a very long line, outside, in the dark. The ship didn't sail until the next day, as the fog rolled back in before they could get out of port.

We sailed again on RCI's Mariner out of Galveston last year and were very apprehensive about the weather. Fortunately, all went well.

Bottom line, you're at the mercy of the weather. Certain times of the year are more prone to fog than others.

Yes. We sailed on Mariner of the Seas in January 2012 and our departure was delayed by fog. I received a phone call and an e-mail. You have to sign up in advance to get such messages; text is also an option but I did not choose that. It was noon and we'd just checked out of our hotel, but had a great time that afternoon at the Sunday brunch at Hotel Galvez, and doing the carved tree stump self-guided tour. We got to the port around 6 PM which was the time they told us to come.

Yes. We sailed on Mariner of the Seas in January 2012 and our departure was delayed by fog. I received a phone call and an e-mail. You have to sign up in advance to get such messages; text is also an option but I did not choose that. It was noon and we'd just checked out of our hotel, but had a great time that afternoon at the Sunday brunch at Hotel Galvez, and doing the carved tree stump self-guided tour. We got to the port around 6 PM which was the time they told us to come.

Thanks for the info! I am going to sign up to be notified for sure. And I have read that I can go to the webcams and just make sure the ship is actually there too, before we head to the ship.

Ask any question!

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

Something else in Galveston there also is Galveston Historical Foundation (see web):

Dolphin Watching and Port Tour provided at Maritime Museum between Fishermans Wharf Rest.and GHF Film Theater.

What can you tell me about fog in April? Does it tend to be as bad as in the mid-winter months? We are sailing on 4/14 and are hoping that everything goes smoothly. Thanks in advance.

Fog is rare in April.

It is not as often as OP would lead everyone to believe.

I assume if someone is affected once, they believe it is a common occurrence every day.

Fog yesterday - warm air, cold water.

Clear on the bay side of the island in the morning, foggy on the Gulf side.

Later in the day, light fog all over the island.

Can't control mother nature:D

What can you tell me about fog in April? Does it tend to be as bad as in the mid-winter months? We are sailing on 4/14 and are hoping that everything goes smoothly. Thanks in advance.

Mother Nature has a mind of her own.

But in April waters and air are both typically both

warm and there is by far a less chance

of fog in April than winter.

But Galveston has had snow in December,

ice in November , and other years no freezing weather

at all. Heck the banana trees didn't die back in no freezing years.

And there has been fog in April.

Fog occurs on every coast,

where there is

Cold air warm water

Or

Cold water warm air .

To my knowledge this season,

with 5 ships in and out of here every week,

there has been only one cruise fog delay.

The odds are good Galveston will have

another but here is hoping not.

After all the powers of decision on the Houston Ship Channel

have changed policies

on allowing ship movement in the fog

except in severe conditions , as I understand it.

Mother Nature weather delays are a

compromise in travel.

Fog being only one of many.

An airline delay is more probably to happen than a fog delay.

Or car trouble driving to Galveston.

Mother Nature is in control!

Plan your cruise!

Allow time for delays on both ends,

unless your situation doesn't allow it.

Enjoy your cruise!

Attitude is everything.

Buy insurance!!!!!!!

Mother Nature has a mind of her own.

But in April waters and air are both typically both

warm and there is by far a less chance

of fog in April than winter.

But Galveston has had snow in December,

ice in November , and other years no freezing weather

at all. Heck the banana trees didn't die back in no freezing years.

And there has been fog in April.

Fog occurs on every coast,

where there is

Cold air warm water

Or

Cold water warm air .

To my knowledge this season,

with 5 ships in and out of here every week,

there has been only one cruise fog delay.

The odds are good Galveston will have

another but here is hoping not.

After all the powers of decision on the Houston Ship Channel

have changed policies

on allowing ship movement in the fog

except in severe conditions , as I understand it.

Mother Nature weather delays are a

compromise in travel.

Fog being only one of many.

An airline delay is more probably to happen than a fog delay.

Or car trouble driving to Galveston.

Mother Nature is in control!

Plan your cruise!

Allow time for delays on both ends,

unless your situation doesn't allow it.

Enjoy your cruise!

Attitude is everything.

Buy insurance!!!!!!!

Thank you very much for your response. I agree that mother nature makes the rules, we just play the game :)

We do have insurance on the cruise, so that takes a bit of the worry away. And we fly in the day before the cruise, so on that end we are probably good. The only concern right now is our flight home, it is at 2:15 from IAH. According to the schedule we dock at 7:00 that morning, so it should be more than enough time.

Thank you again for your response, have a great day.

Fog is rare in April.

It is not as often as OP would lead everyone to believe.

I assume if someone is affected once, they believe it is a common occurrence every day.

Fog yesterday - warm air, cold water.

Clear on the bay side of the island in the morning, foggy on the Gulf side.

Later in the day, light fog all over the island.

Can't control mother nature:D

Thank you! I assumed the original post had a touch of exageration in it, great to have the local knowledge available to be shared.

Have a great day!

Thank you very much for your response. I agree that mother nature makes the rules, we just play the game :)

We do have insurance on the cruise, so that takes a bit of the worry away. And we fly in the day before the cruise, so on that end we are probably good. The only concern right now is our flight home, it is at 2:15 from IAH. According to the schedule we dock at 7:00 that morning, so it should be more than enough time.

Thank you again for your response, have a great day.

If you are taking RCL transfer you are probably fine.

If you have private service I would walk off early WITH luggage

to meet your ride

If you are taking RCL transfer you are probably fine.

If you have private service I would walk off early WITH luggage

to meet your ride

Thank you again for the information, this is great. We are using the RCL transfer service, so hopefully it all works out. Not going to worry too much more about it since it is out of my hands.

Just disembarked off of Mariner on Feb 3rd so thought I would give some feedback.

Off the boat by 8:30, No fog, 12 Noon flight at Hobby- no problem.

There was 14 of us and we used Sam's Limousine. Price was 299 + tip. Excellent deal - fast- we were picked at 9 and at hobby by 10. Made a few calls prior to sailing and I believe it was an outstanding deal esp with 14 of us.

Just disembarked off of Mariner on Feb 3rd so thought I would give some feedback.

Off the boat by 8:30, No fog, 12 Noon flight at Hobby- no problem.

There was 14 of us and we used Sam's Limousine. Price was 299 + tip. Excellent deal - fast- we were picked at 9 and at hobby by 10. Made a few calls prior to sailing and I believe it was an outstanding deal esp with 14 of us.

Great, thanks for sharing your experience. Have a great day.

Archived