What type of Luggage works best?

Livemad

I'm a new mom and I need to look into purchasing some new luggage for baby and me. (Ideally 2 pieces of the same type) I'd like something light but stylish. I don't mind spending money on good quality pieces since I plan to use them every year and want them to last and continue to look great.

I've been looking at suitcases and duffles. I wondered if there were parents that had a preference and why they choose one over the other. Duffles are obviously lighter but I was unsure about how much they could hold.

We've booked a 7 day cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway but in the future I'd like to take an extended cruise 10 days or more and I'd like to use the same luggage.

Does it make sense to buy a duffle? Would all the baby supplies fit?

Any advice will be helpful. :confused:

We have travelled with our boys since the youngest was 2 years old. I find the rolling/spinner, light weight, hard shell luggage works best for us. I can easily roll a suitcase with the carry on attached with one hand, freeing up the other hand for another piece of luggage or a child's hand. The rolling carry on can hold a car seat if necessary, which can also then double as a stroller for the child while in an airport or other building with flat surfaces on the floor :rolleyes:

If I were you, I would plan on having two full sized suitcases and one rolling carry on while your child cannot walk through the airport on their own. I would use a carrier (I love my ergo...) to carry this child on my back, freeing up my hands to deal with luggage. Car seat would be attached to luggage if needed. Once the child is older, I would have them roll a carry on beside me (my 4 yo did this last trip through the port and airport in Tampa), while I dealt with the big luggage.

I can't really comment on whether all of your baby's things would fit in a suitcase, as many people order diapers, food etc for delivery to port, while others pack from home. We did 7 days away with two boys packed in one 22" suitcase, which included clothes, formal wear, diapers for one child and snacks without a problem.

My biggest suggestion is try things out as you would use them. If you need to roll the full size suitcase with the carry on in one hand, make sure you can do it!

So I should get the duffle idea out of my head. I saw rolling duffles and thought maybe but 2 full sized suitcases will work better since I love to shop and will need as much room as possible for the stuff I bring back home.

Doesn't the hardshell on the luggage make them heavier? I thought those would be too heavy. It would save any delicate items though...

Go to a store and start looking at luggage! Try it out...roll it around the store. Pick it up. Open it and look inside!

No luggage is going to "look good" if used frequently....luggage handlers drop it and throw it, and it gets scuffed and dirty on the outside....but that doesn't matter! It's how it packs and operates...not how it looks!

Most decent luggage has the weight listed on the tag....nowadays, the hard sided is light-weight...but you won't be able to "stuff" it, like you can soft-sided!

And remember....most of the "baby stuff" you'll be bringing (diapers, etc....) won't be coming home with you, so you'll have extra space for those purchases!

Like cbatsea said, the diapers take up space on the way there that you can use for your shopping finds on the way back ;)

We use a set of Heys luggage, it is expandable so I pack it with the zippers fully closed, which gives me lots of room to add things I want to bring home. You could always pack a small duffle in the suitcase as a back up, we bring a small bag on board with pop in it for DH, then use it on the way home for overflow from the main bags if needed.

Honestly, you will probably figure out what works best for you once you've taken a few trips, so I wouldn't run out to buy an expensive set of luggage until you know what you want.

Wow you seem passionate about luggage.

Of course I'll go see the luggage at the store and test it out. But before I go to the store I want an idea of what to look at so I don't have to test every suitcase they have. I want an idea of what to look for first which is why I'm asking for advise from people that travel frequently and know what travels best and worst.

For instance I had no idea hard shelled luggage could be light. I've always had soft sided luggage. I was planning on packing the diapers separately but if it fits in the suitcases then it would be a benefit.

And while you think the look of the suitcase doesn't matter it does to me. No, it does not matter more than how well it packs but I don't want something that looks like a frat boy has owned it for 4 years after one trip. My vacation is about enjoying myself and seeing some ratty piece of luggage doesn't make me think "pamper yourself" it makes me think of a safari. lol Perhaps there are pros to nasty looking luggage, but not this year.;)

B&Z's Mom,

The Heys look durable and stylish, I'll keep them in mind when I go look in the stores. Thank you.

Have you ever had them pop open by accident? All I remember of hard shelled luggage is my grandmother's old luggage that she would overstuff and it had a tendancy to pop open. That was many years ago though. And come to think of it it was her favorite even though she had to tie a belt around it 'just in case'. :p

Go to luggage dot com or a site called Irv's luggage. Look at the weights of the different brands. Read the customer reviews. I recently bought Samsonite LIFT luggage. I have the 30" and the 25". I just love them! The 30" is really big, though. If I pack it full, it goes over the 50 lb. limit of the airlines. They are extremely lightweight and have spinner wheels that make them easy to roll. The carry-on size had bad reviews, so I bought a different brand. I found the online prices to be much better than the department stores. They often have free shipping as well.

I find that the hard shell luggage is too heavy and hard to pack.

B&Z's Mom,

The Heys look durable and stylish, I'll keep them in mind when I go look in the stores. Thank you.

Have you ever had them pop open by accident? All I remember of hard shelled luggage is my grandmother's old luggage that she would overstuff and it had a tendancy to pop open. That was many years ago though. And come to think of it it was her favorite even though she had to tie a belt around it 'just in case'. :p

We have used them on three trips (cruise and air travel) without a problem. We have never had a problem with them popping open, the zippers are fairly sturdy but I am careful not to overpack ;)

I bought mine at Costco a few years ago for about $100 for the carry on and 22" upright. I know they are lightweight, maybe 3-4 lbs for the big one?

Happy shopping!

Ruffles with wheels work really well. Be careful of weight if you have anything larger than 26". Roll clothes instead of folding them. Stuff shoes with underwear or cosmetics. I can pack 10 days worth of clothes (including 2 full length formals and accessories) in a 24" duffle.

And while you think the look of the suitcase doesn't matter it does to me. No, it does not matter more than how well it packs but I don't want something that looks like a frat boy has owned it for 4 years after one trip. My vacation is about enjoying myself and seeing some ratty piece of luggage doesn't make me think "pamper yourself" it makes me think of a safari. lol Perhaps there are pros to nasty looking luggage, but not this year.;)

My family travels a lot and I'm sorry to tell you that there is not a piece of luggage made which isn't going to get scuffed or roughed up, especially if you check it. Fabric tears, zippers get caught on something and break, sharp items poke holes, bags fall off carts and get dragged, etc. The only way to keep your luggage looking pristine is to keep it on a shelf in the closet.

Duffle bags are not a good choice for your main piece of luggage. I also suggest that you start checking out luggage in person so you can decide what will work for you.

If you want to use luggage for a while focus on the quality. That being said, even the nicest luggage will get messed up with use.

I travel every week for business and love TravelPro luggage. TravelPro is the most commonly used luggage for flight crews. I've used the same travelpro rollerboard suitcase weekly (usually carried on, but checked at the door of the plane for small planes) for several years and it's still in great shape.

Their good lines (they have some inexpensive ones that aren't as sturdy, ballistic nylon, etc.) hold up very well, roll very easily and smoothly and often have multiple pockets & the ability to expand if necessary.

Macy's sells TravelPro and I've occasionally seen it at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, etc.

Try Kipling. When my son was born we bought one of their wheeled fabric suitcases and a large hold all which sits on top of the case handle. The hold all is a great size for a change of clothes, toys and all the bits for travelling and then works really well as a beach/day bag while we are away.

The Kipling case has an zip which you open to extend capacity (takes it over cabin size) but we have used this for both of us for a short break and to complement a suit bag on longer trips.

He loves the monkey and bright colour too and now he is four and travels with grandparents etc its very much his luggage.

I use to have the soft sided luggage, but not have hard side luggage with the 4 spinner wheels. I would never go back. Since you have a little one, the spinner wheels will be best for you. I have had two hard sided suitcaes back to back with both handles in one hand and pushed them long in front of me leaving my other hand free to carry other stuff. It's just so much easier than dragging suitcases behind you on two wheels.

Great Tips, Thank you!

Angelndscz,

I do think the spinner option will make it easier to move around and keep a hand free for my baby. Putting them back to back would be a life saver and I won't have to sacrifice on space. I have space bags too! Love them. I'll definitely check those out. I have to say though that the video salesman needed some onscreen practice.

Boulders,

I was leaning towards the whelled duffles before and I will still take a look when I get to actually trying them out in the stores, but I don't know if all the baby stuff would actually fit. I also think the hardside luggage would protect the baby bottles and such much better.

o0KelviN0o

Those Trunki cases are adorable! My baby turns 5 months tomorrow so I can't imagine her getting on it now but she'll be cruising at 13 months so maybe it would work as her carry on. Thank you so much! I love it.

Cshgrand

I've seen the Kipling's smaller bags but was always afraid it would get too dirty very fast. Everyone keeps mentioning that the luggage will get roughed up and the Kipling material looks much more 'vulnerable'. While some of the others can resist some stains and be brushed clean I think the Kipling would get very worn looking.

flhokie

I will take a look at the TravelPro at Macys the next chance I get. They look very manly and sturdy as can be. Do you have the hard sided luggage or soft? The hard side they show online at the Macy's website looks very heavy... and the site just went down as I was viewing it. lol

grandma*knows*best

I will definitely take a look at them. This weekend if possible after an early matinee of 007! So I can dream about James Bond's luggage.

Free2bMeForever

Duffles with wheels look great but again the space. I can't see myself sticking my underwear inside shoes but I can put other stuff in them. lol Have you ever seen a Duffle with spinner wheels?

I guess I'm the only one who could care less what kind of luggage I have. We've been on 30+ cruises and lots of land vacations. I always keep any eye out for yard sale and craigslist luggage for $5 or less. I always find large suitcases in great shape. When we pick up our luggage after a cruise or flight and it's torn or a zipper ripped off(this happens very often) - we just say - oh well - as long as it makes it home - we'll throw it away - no worries! I'm not sure why, but our luggage often gets a slice - not bad enough for the airline to replace it, but bad enough I'd be really mad if I just bought it for $100.

I consider luggage to be like part of the family because we use it so much. Mine is named Olivia (ya I know, kinda sick lol) but I LOVE Hartmann luggage. Yes, it will set you back a pretty penny, but I have been toting mine around the world for 15 years and she is still holding strong. Oliver (my husbands Hartmann luggage) zipper broke about 3 years ago and when I called Hartmann about it they paid to have it shipped back to them fixed it and sent it back within 2 weeks. That's customer service you rarely see anymore. Just my opinion but it really is a great product!

I consider luggage to be like part of the family because we use it so much. Mine is named Olivia (ya I know, kinda sick lol) but I LOVE Hartmann luggage. Yes, it will set you back a pretty penny, but I have been toting mine around the world for 15 years and she is still holding strong. Oliver (my husbands Hartmann luggage) zipper broke about 3 years ago and when I called Hartmann about it they paid to have it shipped back to them fixed it and sent it back within 2 weeks. That's customer service you rarely see anymore. Just my opinion but it really is a great product!

Very similar with TravelPro. Paying a bit more and using it for years and years (with customer service when something breaks--so you can continue to use it) is worth it.

Archived