Best Jamacia shore excursions for families

dlawrence

We will be sailing on The Indepedance of the Seas in March and would like to reserve a shore excursion for the family. Children are 22 and 19 and are family enjoys water activies and adventure.

Would appreciate recommendations and reviews of past excursions.

thank you

Port of call boards are so slow, hardly anyone ever posts there!

We have the same question...thinking of doing the Chukka Beach Break excursion. Any photos or reviews would be appreciated!

People do post there...use the search function in the Ports of Call section and you will get information for the Chukka Beach Break.

Here is a link for one of many Chukka Beach Break threads http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1379430&highlight=chukka+beach+break

Hope I can help...

I love Marva Shaw and my extended family and I have used her several times. In fact, we have a group of 25 getting ready to tour with her during our Liberty of the Seas cruise when we stop in Falmouth. I highly recommend her (you can read my reviews, or ask for more specific info and I'll do my best to help), and know that you'll be well taken care of if you book with her.

What to do in Jamaica? Well, our group, who is also active and water loving, will go to Dunn's River Falls, tubing down the White River, stop for lunch at a local jerk restaurant, and do whatever else we want/have time for. We booked a private tour since we're leaving out of Falmouth (she only offers private tours from there, versus a tour where other groups go with you) and because we wanted the flexibility with our large group. Please consider Marva - I honestly can't recommend her enough, and her reviews are outstanding.

(By the way, there are many different excursion options for you and your family - just pick a tour guide (MARVA! lol), then start planning the excursions that fit your needs.)

• 2 weeks later...

Our family had a great time river boarding and rafting with Braco river tours. we found it on tripadvisor. It was very close by. maybe a 15 minute bus ride. They pick you up right inside the port area and are very professional and a lot of fun. I would highly recommend the river boarding for the teens. My teens loved it.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g612473-d2454757-r122225812-River_Rapids_Adventures-Falmouth_Trelawny_Parish_Jamaica.html

We leave on the 16th on the IOS. I contacted Marva and am waiting for a response. Does she do any tours to Dolphin Cove? What about getting back to the ship on time and does her guide go with you on the Dunns Falls excursion? We have for kids, three 14 year olds and a 12 year old. And what about tips? Any help would be appreciated...:)

We leave on the 16th on the IOS. I contacted Marva and am waiting for a response. Does she do any tours to Dolphin Cove? What about getting back to the ship on time and does her guide go with you on the Dunns Falls excursion? We have for kids, three 14 year olds and a 12 year old. And what about tips? Any help would be appreciated...:)

I don't believe Marva has an official tour to Dolphin Cove; however, if you book a private tour with her, then she'll take you wherever you want to go. Definitely ask though, as she tries to be accommodating to her guests. By the way, her internet has been down since Hurricane Sandy - if there is a delay getting back to you, then that is likely the reason. She is usually excellent at communicating. :)

Getting back to the ship on time has never been a problem for our group. Marva's name is at stake if she doesn't get you back - she will do her best to get you there well before boarding time.

Marva and Javia do not go on the excursions with you - they are your mode of transportation and do not work for the "excursions" you book. Did that make sense? :confused: LOL

Tips.... this is what I do: each excursion guide gets about $5/person from my family. Sometimes I round up or down, depending upon the guide and how well they do. For example, we went to Dunn's River Falls and tubing this last trip. We tipped our falls guide AND we tipped our tubing guide. I also tip Marva/Javia (whoever drives). I honestly don't know what a good tip is here, and I hope I haven't been undertipping! I would say 15-20% of the cost of the tour is generous and appreciated, but I honestly don't know, and she will not tell me - she is grateful for any tip you want to offer.

Have a great cruise!!!

Archived