Carnival Sunshine.. New Ship or Lipstick on a Pig?

maxamuus

I have been on the Elation...will be on the Conquest in 30 days...the Breeze in Sept and finally the Sunshine in Jan, 2014.

Really looking forward to comparing all of them! I feel like it will be a nice sampling of what Carnival has to offer....

• 2 months later...

I love the way people complain about work being done on the vessels when they are sailing. Simple fact of the matter is, some stuff needs done at sea. The vessel was already late getting out of the dock as it needed a new fire suppression system put in, which I can guarantee you is no small job. Cruise ship engine rooms run the length of the vessel in most cases. Big jobs take time and pull people away from other jobs, remodeling a complete vessel takes time, hence why some cabins were being done while you were on board.

I love the way people complain about work being done on the vessels when they are sailing. Simple fact of the matter is, some stuff needs done at sea. The vessel was already late getting out of the dock as it needed a new fire suppression system put in, which I can guarantee you is no small job. Cruise ship engine rooms run the length of the vessel in most cases. Big jobs take time and pull people away from other jobs, remodeling a complete vessel takes time, hence why some cabins were being done while you were on board.

if that was the reason for the delay, the rest should have been completed weeks ago.

are you stating that the fire suppression wasn't completely installed, the ship would have sailed anyway, with work continuing on the first sail?

no what I am saying is, the fire suppression system is a job that needs to be done in dock, you cannot completely replace that system at sea without endangering the vessel. What I am saying is, it is a big job. other jobs may have been put on hold for it to be finished.

Most passenger vessels have a system called HIFOG which is a system that can be put into a space with people in it without any additional risk to those in the space. It operates by removing latent heat in the atmosphere while also creating a wet atmosphere and is by far in my opinion the best suppression system we have on ships today for many reasons.

Ships need work done on them all the time though and people complain too quickly about various things on ships. Granted the company should perhaps have extended to dock, but this costs a great deal of money.

@BigDuck, some of the jobs simply cannot be finished in a matter of weeks, I would say remodeling every cabin would be a job difficult to complete in a matter of weeks.

Archived