Carnival Sunshine.. New Ship or Lipstick on a Pig?

maxamuus

So sad that I will have such a terrible time on the inaugural sailing of the 'new' Sunshine in April 2013 from Venice to Barcelona...:)

Guess I'll have to drown my sorrows in the Red Frog Pub... :rolleyes: if I don't trip over the pig poop on the way.. :eek: ;)

LOL, we will be "suffering" along with you. I'm counting the days!

It's a new ship in a recycled hull. I will be posting lots of pictures once the new flagship is launched.

please do post with an honest review. we're sailing the sunshine in June and hoping the ship feels mostly brand new. we are taking this cruise mostly to visit Europe but want to be comfortable along the way. Thanks!

It's LIPSTICK ON A PIG!!!

Just got off destiny and they are remodeling cabins as we were sailing?!?

Deck 6 was done and they were doing the aft port corner of deck 7.

I had the aftcabin 7327 I was shocked when they started tearing the rooms apart imagine being in the cabin next to one they are remodeling.

This is my cabin

20121101_131912.jpg

THIS is what finished deck looks like

20121101_004057.jpg

20121101_004103.jpg

This is work in progress

This is the aft wrap I came back to get a pic of the progress on the last day but a worker was sleeping in cabin

20121101_003937.jpg

20121101_003912.jpg

20121103_004355.jpg

The pictures of the hallway that you posted are NOT the finished product. There is still much work to be done. I do think its bizzare they started on your cruise but i guess they wanted to get the easy things started before official dry docking began. In addition, they are completely gutting and redesigning the hallway's. This renovation is more than lipstick on a pig but it is by no means a new ship.

please do post with an honest review. we're sailing the sunshine in June and hoping the ship feels mostly brand new. we are taking this cruise mostly to visit Europe but want to be comfortable along the way. Thanks!

I normally take hundreds, if not thousands, of pictures on any given cruise. On our first Carnival Sunshine cruise, I anticipate thousands of pictures. My choice of media is pictures - I capture and show my experiences. The proof is in the pictures.

Anyway, here is an example of our last cruise (Carnival Conquest)

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1760811

But you yourself said that Europe is the destination. And it is. We have been on a number of them The cruises are port intensive.

Our next cruise is Feb 4 on Carnival Elation and you will have another example to see my work. :)

The pictures of the hallway that you posted are NOT the finished product. There is still much work to be done. I do think its bizzare they started on your cruise but i guess they wanted to get the easy things started before official dry docking began. In addition, they are completely gutting and redesigning the hallway's. This renovation is more than lipstick on a pig but it is by no means a new ship.

Absolutely not the finished product.

No, not a new build, but Carnival Sunshine will be a new ship. Basically a new ship in a recycled hull. I'm pretty sure none of the handful of critics could afford the lipstick Carnival is putting on the ship.

I find it a little amusing that I am actually booked on her for a 9 day Europe cruise in May. I was booked in a solo cabin on the Epic, but then my friend joined me. It is actually cheaper to sail Sunshine in a balcony and get two extra days then it is to stay on the Epic. This will be his first cruise so that should make it even more interesting. Honestly, I have no idea what to think. I wasn't really thrilled about the plans to change the ship when it was first announced. I had no desireto sail her either. However, being a Med cruise that is very port intensive, it is easily the best bang for our buck.

You will certainly get an honest review out of me.

Was originally booked for a b2b - Med and TA cruise - Oct 2013 on the Legend. Was pretty disappointed when I saw the look of the Sunshine to think we shouldve booked it instead. Carnival cancelled our 2 cruises on the Legend due to the new itinerary. Was bummed until we rebooked the Sunshine with obc and one more day. Can't wait to get to Venice in October to see the refurb.

So sad that I will have such a terrible time on the inaugural sailing of the 'new' Sunshine in April 2013 from Venice to Barcelona...:)

Guess I'll have to drown my sorrows in the Red Frog Pub... :rolleyes: if I don't trip over the pig poop on the way.. :eek: ;)

I wish that I could feel your pain. Sounds wonderful to me!

Having cruised extensively, and toured Europe, I can assure you a cruise is NOT the way to see Europe.

I've come to that conclusion too after watching the missed port debacle on the Breeze during her maiden voyages in Europe. A cancelled visit to some tropical island on a Caribbean cruise is no big deal... they are all rocks anyway. But to miss Venice, or Florence where I planned on viewing the masters of the Renaissance... no, that is too big a risk. When we visit Europe it will be a land based vacation.

Will be taking our first Carnival,first Med cruise this June aboard The Sunshine.The cruise is so port intensive that I am sure overcrowding wont bother us.I have dreamed of going to Italy since I was 6 years old,so honestly this is a dream come true.Looking forward to a little Night Life.Last cruise was on HAL and most folks were in their cabins by 10pm Snooze!!DH and I closed down The Piano Bar each night.As long as I have a clean cabin and edible food,I will be in my glory!The Itinerary is what we were sold on.

Having cruised extensively, and toured Europe, I can assure you a cruise is NOT the way to see Europe.

I was planning to fly to Europe, see what I could over about 2-3 weeks via rail, then take a 14-day transatlantic back to the states.

Until I actually see it, I will not form an opinion....because at this point, I do not know what it will be.

I do not have the powers of the Amazing Kreskin that some on here seem to think they have.

I do know that Carnival is smart to only spend $150 million to redo an older ship that was in great need of repair; instead of spending 1 BILLION dollars on a new one.

That keeps my cruising costs low and still provides a good product.....

Just curious people's opinion on the "new" Carnival Sunshine. I know its really just the Destiny, and its had issues in the past with propulsion.

Is Carnival truely gutting the ship where it will be almost like a new ship? Or is it just a dry dock with some new curtains and a coat of paint?

Some of the European trips look cool next year, but i still keep thinking its just the Destiny. :confused:

I'd have to sail it be give an opinion. My only concern with that ship would be the extra passengers.....I don't think doing a total refurb on an old ship is putting lipstick on a pig. I imagine the ship will be magnificent. I just think it's also going to be crowded. That's NOT something I want to deal with. Cruise ships are crowded enough already.

I'm not sure if I missed it somewhere.....but I'm alittle confused as to why Carnival is calling it a whole different name?

Lots of ships get refurbished and big overhauls, yet they keep their name, what makes this one different with getting a whole new name??

I'm not sure if I missed it somewhere.....but I'm alittle confused as to why Carnival is calling it a whole different name?

Lots of ships get refurbished and big overhauls, yet they keep their name, what makes this one different with getting a whole new name??

I think they are trying to totally rebrand it. Basically make you believe it's a brand new ship even thoughthey and everyone knows its not. Its a mental thing! :D

. When we visit Europe it will be a land based vacation.

That has always been my feeling.

When I cruise, I cruise TOTALLY for the ship. Ports are a bonus. If I miss one, I don't care in the least.

For me, if I have to fly to Europe anyway, then I will just do a land vacation. The only way I would cruise Europe (and I actually love this plan) would be to fly over, stay for at least a week...10 days would be better and take a trans-atlantic voyage back. IF and when it gets to the point where time/days are not an issue to worry about, that is the European cruise vacation I would do.

My bucket list is long.... :p

That has always been my feeling.

When I cruise, I cruise TOTALLY for the ship. Ports are a bonus. If I miss one, I don't care in the least.

For me, if I have to fly to Europe anyway, then I will just do a land vacation. The only way I would cruise Europe (and I actually love this plan) would be to fly over, stay for at least a week...10 days would be better and take a trans-atlantic voyage back. IF and when it gets to the point where time/days are not an issue to worry about, that is the European cruise vacation I would do.

My bucket list is long.... :p

I'm with you!! Land vacation, then cruise back!

Pat

My only concern with that ship would be the extra passengers....

This is the way I look at the extra passengers. There is the "potential" for an additional 364 passengers (about 14% more than Destiny). It's not like all passengers ever show up at one place at any given time so if you have 10 people lined up for the buffet, you would now have 11.

I'm not saying the ship won't be busy, it will be. All Carnival ships are busy, but on a ship this size I honestly don't think you will notice the additional passengers.

I have no doubt at all that you are correct. However, if you are cowards, like my wife and myself, and are too nervous to make our way around Europe ourselves, or even as a part of a tour where they all seem to have a fair amount of meals and time on your own, then I'm thinking it would make some sense.

We wouldn't really see that much, but having the safety net of going out on ship's tours coming back to the familiar cruise ship each night would keep us enough in our comfort zone to give it a shot. (Yes, we're really chickens) Optimally, that experience would give us enough confidence that, yes we can get around fine without knowing the language and customs, to go back and do it the right way later on.

And it is a fairly inexpensive way to go, at least as opposed to land tours. I'm sure the savvy can get by less expensively on their own, but we're anything but savvy. So I'm tempted to give a cruise on the Sunshine a shot, despite my misgivings about the ship itself.

I like waking up somewhere different everyday without having to pack and unpack. It is foolish to think you can see Europe in a week or to. Better to get an introduction to a country, decide if you want to return, and if so, then maybe plan a land vacation.

When I did various rail passes, I would pick the next train going anywhere I thought I might be interested in. When I got there, if it turned out to be not what I was thinking, I would simply jump on the next train going anywhere else. But of course, I was younger then, and living out of a backpack was fun. :p

Now I think it is just regular cruises and river cruises in Europe for me.

• 4 weeks later...
This is the way I look at the extra passengers. There is the "potential" for an additional 364 passengers (about 14% more than Destiny). It's not like all passengers ever show up at one place at any given time so if you have 10 people lined up for the buffet, you would now have 11.

I'm not saying the ship won't be busy, it will be. All Carnival ships are busy, but on a ship this size I honestly don't think you will notice the additional passengers.

I agree with you 100%. Carnival's branding areas allow crowds to spread out. I am willing to give the Sunshine a try even though I think that nothing can top the Breeze. Problem is airfare from Philadelphia. The airfare is basically just as much as the cruise.

Will be watching for pictures and reviews of Sunshine. We are panning to cruise this ship next year. Daughter cruised on Destiny a few years ago and wants to see how they changed the ship. I don't have an opinion since I was never on Destiny so it will all be new to me and I'll have to take my DD's word on the changes. I'm still looking forward to it, it IS a cruise, afterall!

Archived