Carnival Sunshine.. New Ship or Lipstick on a Pig?

maxamuus

Any ship I am on is a flagship and that's a fact, jack! :p

Yea!!! glad I will meet you .. even if you do seem to favor Carnival a little more than I do.. next month.. soon!!! Im ready

Having cruised extensively, and toured Europe, I can assure you a cruise is NOT the way to see Europe.

sorry sounded like you were arguing when you quoted me. If thats how you state your opinions.. and cant accept mine..so be it. We all are entitled to our opinions. I had only said it was one way to see europe. I respect your OPINION too.

If you are saying that is only your opinion.. not a fact .. so be it. thanks for clarifying.

Yea!!! glad I will meet you .. even if you do seem to favor Carnival a little more than I do.. next month.. soon!!! Im ready

This month - time to change your calendar - and clock tonight.

Looking forward to another Fun Ship voyage with the new entertainment. Much better than HAL and their wheelchair races. :)

This month - time to change your calendar - and clock tonight.

Looking forward to another Fun Ship voyage with the new entertainment. Much better than HAL and their wheelchair races. :)

It is THIS month.. yep.. time to try a guy's burger and see what all the fuss is about. New stuff is fun to see too. the lady who was supposed to do this cruise with me (before the smoking rules changes) .. was like conquest!! ive done conquest 8 times.. so those of us who did her out of galveston a bizillion times are ready for a change.

bring on Sunshine. I love any ship I can drive to. Ill even try Sunshine when it gets to NOLA.

Having cruised extensively, and toured Europe, I can assure you a cruise is NOT the way to see Europe.

Well, when one has enough $$$ to do whatever...I'm sure that's true. My theory is to travel any way you can and however you can afford.

It's LIPSTICK ON A PIG!!!

Just got off destiny and they are remodeling cabins as we were sailing?!?

Deck 6 was done and they were doing the aft port corner of deck 7.

I had the aftcabin 7327 I was shocked when they started tearing the rooms apart imagine being in the cabin next to one they are remodeling.

This is my cabin

20121101_131912.jpg

THIS is what finished deck looks like

20121101_004057.jpg

20121101_004103.jpg

This is work in progress

This is the aft wrap I came back to get a pic of the progress on the last day but a worker was sleeping in cabin

20121101_003937.jpg

20121101_003912.jpg

20121103_004355.jpg

It is interesting that they have already started the cabin remodels. Do you have any idea how many cabins that are redoing per cruise?

Hopefully they redo the hallways once the ship goes into drydock to look like the ones on the Breeze.

It is THIS month.. yep.. time to try a guy's burger and see what all the fuss is about. New stuff is fun to see too. the lady who was supposed to do this cruise with me (before the smoking rules changes) .. was like conquest!! ive done conquest 8 times.. so those of us who did her out of galveston a bizillion times are ready for a change.

bring on Sunshine. I love any ship I can drive to. Ill even try Sunshine when it gets to NOLA.

Uh Oh. What are the smoking rules changes? We are booked to sail Sunshine Dec 29/13 and there are 3 smokers in our group of 12. Better to let them know whats up long before the cruise so they can be prepared.

That is your opinion, and yours only. We have travelled Europe both on land and by cruise. There is NO WAY one can see as many locations, countries and such in the time frame of a cruise by doing it on land and travelling by train and for the same $$. It is unfair to judge the way one wants to travel, as we all travel the way we choose for different reasons. Let's not let our own biases be used to flame others.

We've sailed the Destiny many times. I know she's not the newest, biggest or prettiest....but I'm very fond of the old 'pig'!

However.... we'll be on her final voyage (transatlantic 18 days in February) and if they're ripping her to bits already.....it's more than slightly disconcerting to think of what it'll be like on her final voyage....

Oh well....18 days cruising is 18 days cruising... regardless!!!:)

i have no desire to sail her. I don't like the way CCL touted her as a new ship when in fact, it is lipstick on a pig, or a remake, remodel, __________ insert what ever word you choose. It seems like a "bait and switch" almost to me. You cannot call something new if it is not new. The ship has been titled before, therefore, not new. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Can you imagine me selling you a car 205k miles on it. Yes, it's brand new-of course.. Just because I go and have it detailed, put on new tires, and maybe even a new engine, that doesn't make the car new.

That is your opinion, and yours only. We have travelled Europe both on land and by cruise. There is NO WAY one can see as many locations, countries and such in the time frame of a cruise by doing it on land and travelling by train and for the same $$. It is unfair to judge the way one wants to travel, as we all travel the way we choose for different reasons. Let's not let our own biases be used to flame others.

I can assure you it is not mine only, and I am not judging anyone. And Bias used to flame others? Only if the others put themselves there. Looks like I struck a nerve with you. If I were interested, I would attempt to find out why had this been real life.

We've sailed the Destiny many times. I know she's not the newest, biggest or prettiest....but I'm very fond of the old 'pig'!

However.... we'll be on her final voyage (transatlantic 18 days in February) and if they're ripping her to bits already.....it's more than slightly disconcerting to think of what it'll be like on her final voyage....

Most people avoid cruises just before a normal dry dock just for the depleted food activities and even personnel.

But to hear in this instance they've already started (de)construction ....... :eek:

New, rebuilt , remodel.. Many facilities are rebuilt whether it be a cruise ship , hotels or homes

The end result will be the deciding factor . Only one way to determine, wait and sail , or ask someone who has sailed her ( someone who you trust their opinions) and make your own decision..

BTW re: Europe and cruising for me.. Europe on a land is amazing, spend some time in the place , eat their food , see their nightlife , enjoy their customs . don’t rush … we done Europe 4 x on land 2 cruises

For me its land hands down

But its all good

On that as well. Im sure we will be fine. I hope to sail the "NEW" ship back as well in Nov.

Just curious people's opinion on the "new" Carnival Sunshine. I know its really just the Destiny, and its had issues in the past with propulsion.

Is Carnival truely gutting the ship where it will be almost like a new ship? Or is it just a dry dock with some new curtains and a coat of paint?

Some of the European trips look cool next year, but i still keep thinking its just the Destiny. :confused:

While I was offended that they tried to present the Sunshine as a new ship - I reject the premis of your question. Destiny was not a "Pig" of a cruise ship. She broke the Panmax mold for all cruise ships that followed up til the Oasis - which broke the mold again. Her water slide, towering above her 747 profile and any other ship in port triggered 15 years of innovation on the sunny deck of all cruise lines. While I have never sailed her, I sailed on her younger sisters and have enjoyed the foot print that has basically served the Triumph and Conquest class vessels that have been at the heart of Carnival (and Costa's) growth. Of the many great things Uncle Bob brought to Canival, this was the best.

So it should be obvious to those that have read this far, I feel stronly that the Destiny was not a PIG. I think its great that that Carival chose to invest in giving her a "New" Life. I just don't like the course they have chosen by radically reducing the passenger space ratio and the free dining and entertainment space.

Would love to have seen a wrap around Promendade with new alfresco dining/driking venus could have been added above the Lifeboats - and Cove balconies below. Should have been very easy to add a deck or two at the Funnel (with suites and swimming area) and a deck or two at the Bow for an improved spa. For what they are spending - the could have cut her in half and added 100 to 150 lineal feet of new and exciting stuff.

While I was offended that they tried to present the Sunshine as a new ship - I reject the premis of your question. Destiny was not a "Pig" of a cruise ship. She broke the Panmax mold for all cruise ships that followed up til the Oasis - which broke the mold again. Her water slide, towering above her 747 profile and any other ship in port triggered 15 years of innovation on the sunny deck of all cruise lines. While I have never sailed her, I sailed on her younger sisters and have enjoyed the foot print that has basically served the Triumph and Conquest class vessels that have been at the heart of Carnival (and Costa's) growth. Of the many great things Uncle Bob brought to Canival, this was the best.

So it should be obvious to those that have read this far, I feel stronly that the Destiny was not a PIG. I think its great that that Carival chose to invest in giving her a "New" Life. I just don't like the course they have chosen by radically reducing the passenger space ratio and the free dining and entertainment space.

Would love to have seen a wrap around Promendade with new alfresco dining/driking venus could have been added above the Lifeboats - and Cove balconies below. Should have been very easy to add a deck or two at the Funnel (with suites and swimming area) and a deck or two at the Bow for an improved spa. For what they are spending - the could have cut her in half and added 100 to 150 lineal feet of new and exciting stuff.

We cruised the two younger sisters first before sailing on the Destiny. We saw all the blaring errors of that ship that we probably wouldn't have noticed had we sailed her first.

It was so bad, the two sisters were eventually, after being classified the Destiny class, spun off to their own Triumph class.

She's a pig.

i have no desire to sail her. I don't like the way CCL touted her as a new ship when in fact, it is lipstick on a pig, or a remake, remodel, __________ insert what ever word you choose. It seems like a "bait and switch" almost to me. You cannot call something new if it is not new. The ship has been titled before, therefore, not new. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Can you imagine me selling you a car 205k miles on it. Yes, it's brand new-of course.. Just because I go and have it detailed, put on new tires, and maybe even a new engine, that doesn't make the car new.

Have never cruised the DESTINY. Probably won't the SUNSHINE either, but the above post pretty much expresses my sentiments. I know Carnival is trying to save money redoing an older ship at a fraction of the new-ship-price. I commend them for that, but changing the name, which IMHO can only be construed as attempting to fool the uninformed about what is happening, is deplorable to me.:( Instead of calling her their newest ship and naming her the SUNSHINE, why not announce a redo of her features and call her the NEW DESTINY ?

Lipstick on a pig is a bit strong, however.:rolleyes:

I think Carnival is feeling the "bite" of the OASIS and the ALLURE and wishing they hadn't dropped the PINNACLE PROJECT. Same amount of ports to cruise to, the only way to increase passenger participation isn't necessarily with MORE ships, but with LARGER ships. I probably wouldn't cruise on them, but I'm not the "average" new passenger these days.:)

As others have said, it is one thing to cut a ship in half and really adding to redo her as has been done to some wonderful ships before on other lines..the Old Westerdam in HAL comes to mind..this is a partial redo even though lots more cabins and new big serenity..I hoe that area really is an amazing and better use of space and all public areas have better seating etc..doing alot even while running in some of the cabins now...and definitely should be the New Destiny...for a while..just like Hal did on Westerdam and then when they retired her..got a better new one....same name...they even loose some cool history doing this...the first of the bigger ships to redo makes some sense..just in a better way.

I am not anti trying her later when i hear about it and when Carnival gets the food uniformity improved and back to where it was..and anytime dining is really as good as set dining..that is one thing that has affected it I think..and adding new food things may be taking away from efforts..that and less staff in all areas on lots of ships...that all has to get better..don't know what that issue will be on this ship...more staff rooms too??

So sad that I will have such a terrible time on the inaugural sailing of the 'new' Sunshine in April 2013 from Venice to Barcelona...:)

Guess I'll have to drown my sorrows in the Red Frog Pub... :rolleyes: if I don't trip over the pig poop on the way.. :eek: ;)

Archived