Upgrades?

poss

I've been reading mention of "upgrades" on a variety of posts. How does one obtain such things? Is it as with hotels, i.e. one asks at check-in and if they've got availability, they do the switch? Does one inquire in advance? of whom? etc. Thanks! (We've never taken a cruise before, in part because we feared we'd feel claustrophobic in the cabins. It'd sure be lovely to score an upgrade to a larger cabin.)

You must be looking at the mass market lines. RSSC rarely does upgrades. About the only way you get an upgrade on RSSC is via a cabin guarantee; ie, you book a Cat H guarantee and wind up in an E,F, or G. Every now and then RSSC does offer an early booking upgrade on some specials; usually repositioning cruises. You won't feel claustrophobic in RSSC staterooms.

Poss, on our two Radisson cruises, we were upgraded both times three categories. The upgraded cabins were the same size as the ones we had originally paid for, but in better locations. On both Mariner and Voyager, the non -butler accomodations (the only ones I can speak to) are very spacious for the normal sized passenger, and the balcony is a real treat. The bathroom is really big (Voyager has both a shower and a tub) and the closet is truly a walk in. The upgrades came without any special request on our part; I don't know if our TA had a hand in it or not. I think a lot of people pay for the cheaper G and H categories and just get upgraded to D and C categories when there is space available.:)

Wow! What different reports! Anyway, thanks to both. By the way, why are C&D categories considered better than G, for instance? (I have no interest in butler services-- but if cabins/bathrooms had been bigger that would have a lot of extra appeal. I almost booked HAL for our first cruise because their suite cabins were considerably bigger than Radisson, plus had a jacuzzi tub as well as shower. i.e. it was less expensive on HAL for the much larger cabin than on Radisson for the standard. We chose Radisson for the smaller size and non-restriction on when/with whom to have dinner, by the way. But as far as cabin size, HAL beats Radisson hands down, i.e. comparing prices.)

Thanks again.

Well, if you are going to compare apples to apples, yes I would imagine that HAL would be less expensive at first glance, but keep in mind that there are VAST differences between the two lines...HAL being a classic mass-market, and RSSC being a luxury line. When you are looking just at costs, you also have to factor in that on RSSC there is no tipping (it's considered included -- and they mean it), and all wine and other alcoholic beverages are included at dinner. Depending on how much you enjoy wine and drinks with dinner (and I do a LOT! ;)) that can really add up on HAL.

But there are also major differences in the overall experience that account for the differences in price. I myself have never been on HAL, but I know a number of folks who have (including my in-laws) so I have a pretty good idea of what their cruises are like, and there really is just no comparison. There are some past threads that detail these differences, if you want to search backwards (or let me know and I'll provide you with the link). You really are going to love RSSC!

I just returned from our Med cruise, and we did get an upgrade, as did another couple we befriended. We both had booked Cat. H guarantees, and we were upgraded to Cat. E, and they were upgraded to Cat. C. Now understand, all of these cabins are identical, except for much better locations on the ship, and in their case, the Cat. C has a much larger balcony.

However, I have heard that if you don't do a "guarantee", it's unlikely you'll get upgraded; I've also heard that it's highly unlikely you'll actually get upgraded to a larger size cabin, as once you get above Cat. C, then you move into the Penthouses and Suites. All other cabins below Penthouse, including the lowest category (H) are exactly the same size, which is 306 sq. ft. plus balcony. Note that this is really MUCH larger than most cabins on any other cruise line, until you actually move up into their suites.

But for me, I personally feel that unless you are going to go with a Penthouse or higher (or have your heart set on a specific cabin), the H Guarantee, vs. directly selecting a cabin in a specific category, is the best way to go, because you have a VERY good likelihood of getting upgraded. Not to mention the fact that, truly, it doesn't really even matter all that much where you are on the ship. On the Voyager there are only ten Cat. H cabins at all, and I would imagine many more than ten parties are booking H Guarantees so a good percentage of them are going to get upgraded no matter what. Also, some people are going to directly select H cabins, as they do offer a price for that as well, so there will likely be less than 10 H cabins to dole out to the guarantees. I hope this makes sense!

LeeAnne

We had never done a guarantee but we had to do one for our upcoming cruise on Navigator. WE did a guarantee H( lowest cabin) and have been assigned an H cabin so I guess we weren't lucky to get an upgrade. However, we could have been "upgraded" to one of their aft cabins where the vibration is a problem so , in this case, I'm happy to get what we paid for.

Poss, like LeeAnne said, you will usually only get an "upgrade" with a guarantee rate to a higher deck on the ship. To me this is not an upgrade, as I like to be lower, and closer to public areas below. To get a larger cabin is almost unheard of, but again only available if you booked a guarantee.

If when you board, you want to buy an upgrade, say from a standard to a penthouse (which on the Voyager are only 14 sq.ft. bigger), you pay 1/2 the difference between the brochure rates of both to get your upgrade. Keep in mind that brochure rates are hopefully much more than you paid, so it is not the difference between your TA's rates between the cabin prices.

Cruiseluv, I agree. I am the type of person who wants to know exactly what cabin we have and I want to pick the location so we don't end up way in the aft or under a disco or something like that. Others love taking the chance on getting an upgrade, which is great when it works out that way!!

Poss.

As far as I know, all the cabins in RSSC ships are exactly the same size, which is very nice size, except when you get to the penthouse and butler cabins, etc. The only variable among the "regular" cabins is the location. The higher up, the more money. I think the large mass market ships have many more styles and sizes of cabins - some are in the middle of the ship with no windows, some are small with just a porthole, some have just a small window, on up to balconies and verandahs and living rooms.

Ginny

Jhp has a good point about cabin location -- I'm not really sure why the higher decks are more expensive, but sure 'nuff, the higher up you go, the higher the cost. And she's right that with a guarantee you take your chances on where you will end up. My reasoning was that I don't really have that much of a preference, and I'd rather save the money even if I get assigned the lowest cabin category.

I did in fact luck out as I actually preferred being higher up -- I ended up on deck 9 and I spent a lot of time on the pool deck (deck 11), so I liked just taking the stairs. It also worked out well for me on one day when we were at sea and I was jogging on the track on deck 12 -- I was also doing my laundry that day, and I could just pop down the stairs to our laundry room on deck 9 to shift loads in between laps.

But anyway, I guess the message is, if it matters to you where you are on the ship, don't get a guarantee...but if it doesn't, then go for it and you might get upgraded to a "better" location.

Our friends who ended up in a Cat. C were quite happy, because they got this really nice big balcony. Some, however, don't like these particular cabins because they are right off the stern, and Voyager has something of a vibration problem in the stern. But my friends said it really didn't bother them.

LeeAnne

Ginny is right, all standard cabins on both Mariner and Yoyager are the same layout ( except a little more square footage on Voyager, a bit wider and bigger bathroom), and they sell out from the bottom up. Very few lowest fares available on the Voyager, and the G cabins are really the best location for the price on that ship. H cabins are aft. On Mariner, C penthouse is a great deal if you want to spend the same money for a lot of extra space with no butler.

Upgrade that LeeAnne mentioned above about her cruisemates, meant they got an "aft" cabin on the voyager. Great views and big balcony, but the trade-off is the vibration thing that has been debated ad nauseum on this board.

LeeAnne, you were lucky to get higher up with your upgrade, you are a runner, and I never (well maybe once) set foot to that part of the ship! I like to be down there with the Compass Rose, computer room, shops, you know the rest. Last word, you can't be going wrong with ANY standard suite on RSSC, and you can't go wrong with booking a guarantee. All it may mean is a little more elevator time

I know that we did not have a "guarantee" for our Mariner cruise last year, but I truthfully don't know if we had one for our Voyager one this year. The Alaskan cruise was pretty full, but we still were upgraded three categories; the transatlantic was 40% empty, so that probably explains the upgrade this past April. We had a wonderful suite location, however, just steps away from the stairs and elevator.

Agreeing with LeeAnne et al, you just can't compare RSSC with Holland or any other line that is less than luxury. Our cabin was good sized, nicely appointed, and perfect for the amount of time we spent in it. We were pampered from the moment we awoke to the time we fell into bed. There was no waiting in lines, no hassles, not one iota of unpleasantness. Everyone went out of their way to make our happiness their priority. The food was great, the wines were wonderful (especially those served during our Cordon Bleu dinners), and the service was impeccable. For the cost of a Radisson balcony cabin, you can probably get a larger suite on HAL or RCL, but it is kind of like eating in a diner. Who wants a lot of mediocre food, when you can enjoy just the right amount of something special?:rolleyes:

Poss,

We'll be leaving soon for the Voyager. The couple we are traveling with received an upgrade from a Gtd H to an E located far aft. We received an upgrade from a Gtd H to a C on deck 9. I'm looking forward to the balcony on the stern; hopefully we won't be bothered much by any vibration. Frankly, most every ship we have been on has had some vibration.

As to HAL, I have sailed on them and can tell you that there is a big difference (imho) in the food quality as well as the whole meal time experience vs. RSSC.

In addition, there are things that RSSC will do that you only appreciate if you've sailed on other lines. On our last cruise, we were in port in the Marquesas the same day as a HAL ship. RSSC had arranged free local transportation, while the people on HAL had to fend for themselves. They really grumbled when they saw the RSSC passengers boarding the only available "Le Truck." In addition, when we returned to the pier, there was a long, long line of people waiting for tenders back to the HAL ship. Our ship, being much smaller, had no problem taking all waiting passengers back to the Paul Gauguin.

HAL is ok as a mass market cruise, but I certainly wouldn't pay anything close to Radisson's prices just to get a larger cabin. The Voyager cabins are plenty big by cruise ship standards (just look at the cabin size on Oceania for example). And on your itinerary, you shouldn't be spending much time in your cabin anyway.

CMI

CMI

Great going. We are booked for a C on the New Year's Cruise.

How lucky that you are to be upgraded to it! We have enjoyed the

large balcony,were not bothered by the vibration and find the 'wake'

mesmerizing. Hope you have a fabulous time. And please update

us upon your return.

(Not trying to hijack this thread but a quick question to Paula) Are you talking Category C for New Years cruise on the Voyager or the Mariner? I know both do Panama Canal over New Years 2006. The reason I ask is the Voyager is actually the pre-cruise segment of the 2006 World Cruise!

Paula, not trying to highjack Marcie's post to you, either! But there are no C cabins aft on the Mariner. C on Voyager aft are same size inside as standard cabins, just the balconies are bigger. The ones aft on Mariner are much bigger, and are called Seven-seas suites or something like that.

In reply...

=We're on the Voyager for New year's....but...

=the segments of the WC that we're on for are HongKong-Singapore-

Dubai

=I think you must mean C as the horizon cabins...they look out

at the wake/horizon...although most post re: balcony or vibration!

Yes, the Voyager has the C Horizon suites on the stern. The suites are identical to all the other ones (below Penthouse level anyway), except instead of a 50 sq. ft balcony, the C Horizon balconies are 80 to 137 sq. feet.

LeeAnne

Joannapvb,

There are "Horizon Suites" aft on both the Voyager and the Mariner but they are rather different on each ship.

On the Voyager they are "C" grade (cheaper than the Penthouse "A" & "B" grades), are the same (very large) size as the standard suites but have extra large balconies. They do not come with butler service.

On the Mariner they are "HS" grade (more expensive than the Penthouse grades), are much larger than the standard suites and have enormous balconies with chaises longues and enough space to entertain a large crowd. They also have butler service. At a price only slightly higher than that for the Penthouse A suites, I think that these are one of the best luxury buys at sea!

Archived