Gluten free experience on Oceania?

DebJ14

DH and I are trying to decide between the Oceania Riviera or the RSSC Navigator for a cruise in Jan 2014. $$$ is not the issue. The deciding factor will be who handles a gluten free diet better. Can anyone who has recently sailed comment on their experience with Oceania. Were they able to accomodate, did they actually understand the gluten free diet? We have only sailed mainstream lines since diagnosis 5 year ago and there is a wide variation in how they handle it, even across the same cruise line.

Any comments would be appreciated. I have also posted on the RSSC board.

Thanks.

DH and I are trying to decide between the Oceania Riviera or the RSSC Navigator for a cruise in Jan 2014. $$$ is not the issue. The deciding factor will be who handles a gluten free diet better. Can anyone who has recently sailed comment on their experience with Oceania. Were they able to accomodate, did they actually understand the gluten free diet? We have only sailed mainstream lines since diagnosis 5 year ago and there is a wide variation in how they handle it, even across the same cruise line.

Any comments would be appreciated. I have also posted on the RSSC board.

Thanks.

Oceania handles it beautifully. You'll get a menu every morning outlining which choices are Gluten free in the Main Dining Room and the Buffet.

As the Specialty Restaurant menus are static, those items which conform don't change, and the waiters were very familiar with what "works".

I do not have the problem but I do have a problem with sodium (not the same I know)

There have been posts in the past with the same concerns

You or your TA should contact the Special services dept at least 60 days prior to your cruise so they can stock the necessary products

Contact the Hotel manager or Maitre'd when you board

Oceania usually will deliver the next day's menus to your cabin ..you check off what you want give it to the restaurant early morning

Make sure your cabin # & name is on it

When you go to dinner tell the Maitre'd you have a "special meal" & cabin #

You will be served course by course along with your tablemates

In the Buffet ...ask to speak to one of the Chefs about the items in the buffet so you can get a gluten free meal

they are very accommodating ..if they know in advance

Lyn

I am just off the Oceania Riviera and my husband is very allergic to wheat so we follow a gluten free diet. If you choose Oceania you need to inform them before you sail. Each night we received the menu for the next night's dinner - either the menu for the Grand Dining Room or whatever specialty restaurant we had booked. Then we were supposed to pick my husband's meal by 10AM and return the menu to a variety of places listed on the envelope.

We only ran into trouble twice and one of those times it was him not putting in an order beforehand (fortunately the detail oriented staff averted disaster) the other time it was me asking about the possibility of chicken fried rice in Red Ginger for him. He is an extremely picky eater and I made the mistake of asking if he could possibly get chicken fried rice. I was a little mortified at the response being a laugh from the person working the specialty restaurant reservation desk. I almost cancelled the reservation because I was so embarrassed. I didn't think I was being snooty or rude by just asking. Despite that, I am glad we went because the service in the actual restaurant was so far beyond anything we'd ever experienced. (He had the beef teriyaki.)

Also, I will point out that one person at that desk was the only time I had a negative experience with the staff. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. The times we went to the GDR and my husband hadn't pre-ordered a meal the staff was knowledgeable as to what he could and couldn't eat. They always had gluten-free bread available for him, he just had to ask.

We ate at the buffet and Waves numerous times and as they have the staff serving, he never had any issues with cross contamination, either.

We are, most likely, Oceania converts for life. I wish the thing about the Fried Rice hadn't happened and it might have been a bit of me being over-sensitive as well, but being laughed at is never a comfortable experience.

Oceania makes the GF eating easy. Make sure your booking includes your GF diet request. Do this as early as possible. Usually the day I embark I receive a call from one of the Restaurant Managers, explaining what is available and how my dining will be planned. In the mornings I receive a menu from the Grand Dining Room or from one of the specialty restaurants following my reservation schedule. Each day I mark my menu with my choices, and since I am also a fussy diner, I remove and replace some items. When my husband and I go to dinner that evening, my order is printed out and handed to our server, who reviews it with me to make sure I have not changed my mind. When I eat in the Terrace, I try to choose wisely, avoiding obviously breaded or gravied items. The serving staff is good with knowing what foods are GF and if they do not know, they go and ask the Chef and get a quick answer.

There has always been GF bread on board. If you are like me and like it toasted, you will need to ask for it to be toasted without the other breads. At high tea, there are GF scones and other selections, upon request.

The food on Oceania is really good and I never feel like I am missing out on anything!

Last year we were on a 16 day cruise on Marina with a friend who required a GF food regimen; her comments to us during and after the cruise were that she was amazed at the number of meal choices they provided for her and how careful they were in making sure her food was GF.:)

10 years ago, how did everyone get along before "gluten free" became a household word?

They would be very sick

It is not something people choose as the "Fad of the year" some people suffer with celiac disease or crohns

It is not something to make light of

Lyn

They would be very sick

It is not something people choose as the "Fad of the year" some people suffer with celiac disease or crohns

It is not something to make light of

Lyn

I couldn't agree more. My mother was diagnosed with celiac disease 40 years ago and thanks to more understanding and availablilty of suitable foods, is alive, well and able to dine out with ease at over 90 years. Pity she feels too old to cruise - she would have loved it!

Thank you all so much for your replies. It sounds like Oceania would be a good fit.

As for what we did before Gluten Free became a household word - we were sick all the time and treated for a myriad of diseases we did not actually have.

10 years ago, how did everyone get along before "gluten free" became a household word?

Until I was properly diagnosed I for one spent a lifetime doubled over with GI pain, chronic diarrhea and vomiting at the drop of a hat on top of horrible migraines, rashes and peripheral neuropathy. I had to plan every moment of my day around the availability of a bathroom. I didn't exactly "get along." One man's food is another man's poison and for me gluten=poison.

My husband and I are wheat free by choice (well we have our health reasons but we are not celiac). Luckily if there is a tiny amount of flour in something we are OK but we did find it extremely easy to eat off the normal menu. There were so many choices that didn't involve any wheat what so ever. Obviously if you need to be extremely careful then I agree that Oceania will be the cruise line for you!!

Archived