Number of tops? packing light(ish)

Hoyaheel

Planning my packing for a week long trip to Paris next week. We're renting an apt and will have a washer. I'm planning to bring 3 pairs of pants (I thought about two - and still might - but right now I'm thinking wear on plane, pack two) We're checking one bag anyway because of some liquids and other non-carry-on items we need to bring so space isn't the biggest concern. I tend to split my days in 2 - which helps if it's wet outside - we'll stop back in the apartment after the morning activities and change clothes before late afternoon or evening activities....

That said - I really don't want to be lugging 75lbs up 4 flights of stairs (no elevator) and prefer to pack light(ish). So what is the ideal number of tops to bring, assuming any top choice will go with any of the pairs of neutral pants. I will bring one cream cashmere sweater and one black cashmere sweater.

(I'm also thinking I might bring a purple merino dress....)

[i'm asking here because no one on flytertalk has ventured an opinion in the past 24 hours - I know you ladies are far chattier ;-)]

75 lbs up 4 flights of stairs? :eek: No thanks, tried that once :D

I'm pretty messy, so that influences my choices :) I'd swap out that cream cashmere for a different colour of cashmere (pale gray or something that works with the rest of your wardrobe), unless you are comfortable using a strange washing machine to wash it :eek:

I'd definitely pack (at least) 2 pairs of pants. Consider how much time you want to be tied to laundry -- if there is no dryer (you said there's a washer), you need to figure it may take 48 hours for your items to dry once washed.

If there is a dryer, I'd take 4 tops (2 days worth) in addition to the 2 cashmere sweaters, so you can wash and dry 3 of the tops at one time. I guess, really, if there isn't a dryer, I'd take 5 tops, so you'd have 2 or 3 available while the other 2 or 3 are hanging to dry.

Thanks for your input! It's a washer/dryer combo unit.

I have other colors of merino wool sweaters, but only cashmere crew neck or cardigan that fit are cream and black. I wore the cream in Amsterdam 2 yrs ago and no stain issues...I do have black & red cashmere turtlenecks - and one might be one of my top options - but a turtleneck sweater is a limiting option because you only get that "color". Of course I'll have a couple scarves with me too (or, one scarf and plans to buy another while there:D)

My original thought was 4 tops (I think I had 4-5 for Amsterdam - though that trip was 1 day shorter, I'm aiming for the same amount of stuff).

Ahhhhh, a scarf from France? 24 Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré by any chance? ;)

Nope, I'm more the vintage store/street market type shopper;)

I've read reports of some being unearthed here, which is just down the road from our rental, so you never know:D

Nope, I'm more the vintage store/street market type shopper;)

I've read reports of some being unearthed here, which is just down the road from our rental, so you never know:D

Oh,oh,oh, I wanna travel with YOU. A woman after my own heart -- I love vintage/thrift shopping. My first Hermes scarf was from a thrift store for $2. :D It was the start of the slippery slope :D Good luck on your quest -- I know there are amazing treasures out there waiting to be found!

(My avatar is my favorite H scarf -- Les Chants du Henne)

I'd bring more than I think I'll need.....I'm NOT a fan of "packing light"! Even with a washer, you'll need something to wear while the machine does it's magic!

Bring washable stuff....(can you even wash cashmere??) Bring cotton stuff! Things that you can throw into a short wash cycle! Yes,,,bring 3 pair of pants!

I don't know how folks do a duffle bag for a 3 week trip! And I will never, ever attempt that! I hope you're not alone, so someone can help you lug that weight up those stairs!

I will NOT be lugging 75 pounds - that's why I'm trying to figure out what I want to bring. I DO pack light, hence the pretty specific question I asked. Thanks for your input:rolleyes: I always carry my own bags.....

I wash cashmere (and down, and silk, and....) at home all the time. I use my machine's hand wash cycle. If I needed to wash one of my cashmere sweaters while travelling, I'd do it by hand instead of trusting an unknown machine.

Given the likely temps (50, cold & humid says my good friend who lives in Paris and is giving me regular updates) I will be layering. I always plan to layer - it makes packing light so much easier.

I'm going to lay out clothing this weekend and see what I come up with.

And then take a few things out of the pile;)

I did Munich a few weeks ago in a similar manner...4 flights of stairs in a rented apartment. I didn't use the washing machine. I was able to get an extra pair of shoes, 2 pr jeans, 2 pr black pants, 6 tops with coordinating camisoles, a couple scarves, and 4 dresses in my carry on. The pants and dresses were all cotton or ponte. I layered. I am not messy, so I just rewore when necessary. I could've gotten away with less; I'm a big fan of cardigans and the longer wraps. I change the look with different camisoles and scarves. I'd bring at least 5 tops if I were you. I'd limit the amount of single use items and stick to items where you can vary the look. Have a fantastic trip!

Hi Kelly! I'm so jealous! I wish we were going somewhere fun for a week! Business or pleasure?

You always look put together, so I'm sure you'll pick the right outfits, but I don't blame you for not wanting to haul a heavy suitcase up the stairs. I think I'm going to boycott places that you have to walk up more than one floor!:p

Have you looked at this site? http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/ She goes to Paris all the time in a carry on and puts together great outfits. A lot of her stuff comes from LLBean, so the outfits are "mostly" attainable.

Have fun and say "hey" to Dane for us! :)

Will do Janet:D I've looked at that blog before - I think I have a packing list on a home computer from it; I should check again.

It'll be a pleasure trip - haven't yet discovered how to get any business trips to Europe:(

I love Paris, it is my favorite city in the world and the convenience of having your own apartment is wonderful. A few things to remember about those washer dryer combos in apartments in Paris. They typically don't hold a lot, they take a long time, they ask you not to start a load after a certain time because they do take so long, and your clothes will not be totally dry like they come out of a typical American type washer. In fact our apartment had one for a two week trip this year and we went to a laundromat instead of using it. Just so much easier.

I have lived abroad before, and we're familiar with most european appliances. Though things always change.....(we had a washer/dryer combo in our Amsterdam apt a couple years ago;))

We'll also have a heated towel rack in the (teeny tiny) bathroom if we need extra after hours drying help;)

Cowprincess- I was cleaning out my closet last night (I've lost 35 lbs recently, yippee, though, I do hate getting rid of some of my nicer pieces:cool:) I found a plum cashmere cardigan I'd forgotten about. It's short - I'd prefer a longer sweater - but it's on the possibility list (It's also not quite in my preferred packing color theme, but should go with most of what I pack....)

Are you planning to wear trousers in the evening too? Will you be eating in restaurants? Not sure about you Americans but we tend to wear dresses or skirts in the evenings rather than trousers (or pants as you call them!!!) in Europe, that always makes me laugh as our pants are certainly not on show :D... I would say one top for each day and if you want to wear one in the evening too you could use the washer. I wear lots of cashmere both in summer and winter because it is warm and light. It hasn't got too cold yet so I am sure you will be fine. Enjoy your trip!

Oh gosh! I hope I didn't scare you away from the ivory sweater :) For me, it'd have to be the plum one and I'd FORCE it to work with the other stuff :D because it would be less likely to show the mess I make of myself on a regular basis. Plum cashmere -- gorgeous :)

We'll probably go out in the evenings - hence the purple merino dress I mentioned - but are more likely to do big meals at a lunch and either I'll cook in the evening or we'll do a charcuterie plate in a wine bar. The main reason I like to rent an apartment is that I love to go to markets and then cook with local food.

I foresee more "trying on" and mixing/matching this weekend to see what I come up with. But oh what fun problems to have, right?:D

(the paisley wool scarf I'm bringing will go with everything - but the red cashmere will not go with the plum.....But if I bring both scarves, no worries......)

Archived