Tipping question for a first time cruiser

azguy

I know this is probably a worn out topic, but it's new to me, so please be gentle. :)

My wife and I leave next week on our first cruise. We are on a 7 day Princess cruise in Alaska.

Our understanding is that certain people are automatically tipped by a daily charge, but this appears to be food personnel only.

Can someone help me out to clarify if this is true?

If so, what do you tend to tip the room stewards? How about if you order room service or do the "Ultimate Balcony Dining"? Is that an additional tip?

We like to make sure we tip correctly, especially for people who "live" on tips, but as first time cruisers were a bit puzzled by some of it.

Thanks so much.

Hi Guys, :)

Don't fret about it. :( I would suggest that you go with the automatic tipping of USD$10.00 per person per diem. This per diem rate is all inclusive...your restaurant team (waiter, assistant and wine steward), maitre d', stateroom steward and his/her assistant.

If you're not happy with the service in a specific area, you can always check with the guest services desk prior to the last evening and decide if you'd prefer to pay in person.

Remember for all the bar drinks you sign for, an automatic 15% gratuity is added to your cabin bill. :eek:

If you feel there was exceptional service above and beyond in a specific area, then feel free to add some in person but let them know that it's extra above and beyond the per diem so they don't feel they're only getting $30 or whatever for the week.

Stateroom stewards/attendants and restaurant staff work long split shifts, so your tips are greatly appreciated, and many send $$$ back to their families overseas.

Additional tipping such as for stateroom service would/should be the same as you tip in an upscale hotel. :cool:

Hope this helps, and

Ciao for now!!!

Hi Here's my 2 cents worth.

We were on Golden last year and had the bestest waiters possible so naturally we and the rest of the table mates tipped them.

Very graciously they both told us that they were honour bound to put any personal tips into the pot to be shared.

I have no reason to doubt this, so just think.

Something else that doesn't get mentioned enough: You will find "You Made a Difference" cards at the Purser's Desk. If you feel someone has done an outstanding job or just done something to make your vacation a little better, fill in one of these cards for those individuals. It lets the management know who is doing well. The crew earn days off in port and promotions are based on the responses received.

Hi Here's my 2 cents worth.

We were on Golden last year and had the bestest waiters possible so naturally we and the rest of the table mates tipped them.

Very graciously they both told us that they were honour bound to put any personal tips into the pot to be shared.

I have no reason to doubt this, so just think.

We just got off the Star and wanted to give our waiter/assistant something extra for themselves. Pursers office told us as long as we did not take off the per diem tips that we could fill out an envelope (they had them there) put their names on them and say it was for them only and who it was from. We did this and they were very surprised and happy. The envelope went right in their pocket.:)

Our cabin attendant was given a small list of things we wanted extra on our first day and we gave her some cash (all in $1bills) At the end, we gave her extra also.

One needs to tip the room service waiter a few dollars as they are NOT in the pool. (At least this is what I have been told) :)

The last two cruises have put the tips on my room account. Since the Caribbean Princess had Personal Choice dining we had a different waiter every night, we ate at different times every night.

I usually bring a thank you note from home and put something extra in it for the room steward or the dining help.

Good question on the single cabin tips! - have been wondering the same thing myself! All of the Princess material clearly states "per person", but you know what happens when you assume :D

Also, do folks usually tip their cabin steward when they first get on board? Any guidelines on how much (since it would be in addition to the $10 p/p added to the account) and if it makes a difference in the service you receive?

Thanks!

First off, we leave all the automatic tips on, no matter what. These people work too hard to be stiffed.

We also pre-tip our room steward/ess $20.

We like good wines at gentle prices and if the wine steward "gets" our tastes and makes a great recommendation, we'll give him an extra $5. at the end of that meal (in addition to the automatic % charged). Sometimes, he'll "forget" to charge us the corkage fee - for that, we'll give him $5. at the end of the meal.

And anyone who brings food/beverage to our room is tipped $2. per visit.

I also have tipped the room service steward but I checked with Princess and they said that all dining room and cabin personnel are included in the automatic tips and they said that included room service. So I guess he had to turn it in until he found out if we left the automatic tipping in place.

FWIW, somewhere in our paperwork or in an onboard notice we read that, from the $10.00 auto-tip, $6.50 went to food service personnel and $3.50 went to the cabin steward. We did tip a couple of waiters and our cabin steward extra for excellent service.

One of the first things that I do when I get on board is to slip my cabin steward a $100.00 bill, you would not believe the exceptional service I get after that, and yes this is in addition to the $10.00 pp tipping that I give...

Wow I hope you will never have the same cabin steward as I,for I have to save up very hard to pay for my cruise.Last time I paid out $350.00 on tips that also includes the auto tips on account........So I guess with your $100 tip a time the cabin steward would be yours for the trip :D

One of the first things that I do when I get on board is to slip my cabin steward a $100.00 bill, you would not believe the exceptional service I get after that, and yes this is in addition to the $10.00 pp tipping that I give...

What are the exceptional services you receive for the $100. up front?

I know this is probably a worn out topic, but it's new to me, so please be gentle. :)

My wife and I leave next week on our first cruise. We are on a 7 day Princess cruise in Alaska.

Our understanding is that certain people are automatically tipped by a daily charge, but this appears to be food personnel only.

Can someone help me out to clarify if this is true?

If so, what do you tend to tip the room stewards? How about if you order room service or do the "Ultimate Balcony Dining"? Is that an additional tip?

We like to make sure we tip correctly, especially for people who "live" on tips, but as first time cruisers were a bit puzzled by some of it.

Thanks so much.

Princess and other cruise lines automatically collects tips on your credit card.

The Princess Patter (newspaper) delivered to your cabin will lay out the exact amount that goes to each genre of service providers from cabin stewards to bus boys and waiters. Cruises are meant to be 'cash free' and bartenders throughout the ship receive their share as well.

Luggage is delivered to cabins and collected sans special tipping. Caveat: You are permitted to see the purser and reduce or increase tips if by chance you had genuine gripes (unlikely)about service or simply feel you wish to pay more than the usual allotment. Nothing to stop one from giving a steward that white envelope as an extra though he/she is supposed to toss it into the larger pot shared by all. A call to Princess or another posting will fill you in on the current tipping schedule of auto payments.

Archived