Update of sickness on Voyager

RCL says as of today, there were 45 reported cases to the medic on the Voyager.

I wonder what the amount of people reporting sickness on any given cruise at any given time. I would think that 45 people out of over 3000 pax would seem pretty good. We don't know what the doc visits are for so does anyone think like I am thinking, probably not to bad at all!

We were on this ship and 3 out of 4 of our party were sick but did not report it to RCCL. I am sure there were others who also did not report it. I did send an e-mail to ship sanitation so they were aware. Even if the ship was spotless, one person could have gotten something anywhere and it could have spread. This happens anywhere where a lot of people gather. Hope everyone is better now. I know I just wanted to die when I had it. Thank goodness it didnt hit me till the last day and when I got home. Yuck-sure wont stop me from cruising though...

I am sure many people who are only mildly to moderately sick do not report it - I did not -- and of our roll call on the Glory in January 30% got sick. There was no CDC report and no news coverage of that one.

Not reporting Norwalk type of illness is a major part of the problem and very selfish. When you are out and about you may only be spreading it to others. Also boarding with a gastrointestinal disturbance is even worse. There is a very good reason for isolation and quarantine. Treatment in the infirmary is usually free. The ship is not the problem; it's the carriers.

I'm so glad you did report it, and they are aware of the norovirus on the current cruise. The CDC says the cruise company has to call in each day the count. Hope everyone who got this horrid illness is better. Sounds like it's just a numbers game whether you are the one to catch it or not; not sure constant handwashing (and of course I would do this) will be enough.

I understand where you are coming from Hdawson but we also need to realize that not everyone reads these boards and can compare that others are sick. Until I happen to come onto this website, I had no idea that there were so many others ill as well. So, to say people are selfish isnt really too fair. It may be that they just think its an illness that they alone just have. So, I agree it should be reported but not everyone knows its an epidemic of some sort.

I just heard on this evenings 5:00 news that Norovirus is being reported here in Kansas City. This is not just a cruiseship issue. Perhaps cruiseships are more scrutinized. I wasn't paying that close of attention but the word Noroviris caught my attention.

I was also on the Voyager 5/15 and I got sick out of three of us, it is terrible but I will cruise again. This was my tenth cruise and I will go again. Just wash and wash I did and still gotit. I did email the RCCL and the CDC, they email me back and were looking into it. What happened it was on the last day and every one was wanting to go home, if we were a day longer it might have been reported. Don't cancell go and have fun and enjoy a great ship and cruise. You might not get it.

FRAN

The Norovirus is the second most common illness only to the common cold. Very common in nursing homes, schools and day care, work places, etc.

Thourough hand washing is much more effective than antibacterial products since it's a virus and not a bacterial infection. I don't think antibiotics are much help either for the same reason. Dehydration is very important so you need to go to the infirmary in case you need an IV to be rehydrated.

In related posts about this outbreak and in many RCCL official statements, they always blame the pax for bringing it on the ship. And- if the pax leave the ship, why are people sick on next sailing? Ah- the crew.

Unlike us, with our "spacious" ;) cabins, the crew quarters are cramped. Also, if you ever saw the Voyager video where they show the crew's relaxation area, pleanty of opportunities for the virus to spread in their area, as well. Computer keyboards and mice, pool tables (cue sticks), bingo cards (yes, crew has bingo), exercise equipment... So- if there are over 1000 crew and some are fairly new to the ship and never exposed to Norwalk, sick pax may disembark, but the virus still spreads. I'm sure once a crew member is sick, they are quarantined, but how about right before symptoms show up or after they are feeling better and may still be contagious. They may pass it on to their roommates, other staff members and even accidentaly to passengers. I've been reading Princess threads and it took several sailings of the Sun to finally get rid of the virus (from late April/early May).

It seems with each subsequent sailing, less people get sick, so the whole cycle should run its course.

It's interesting that last year, on one of the first (or the first) sailing of the Voyager out of Cape Liberty to Canada, several pax got "food poisoning" from eating the Escargot (many of you will remember the famous "Cuppy" thread). On another board, someone observed that outbreaks occur more frequently when a ship begins its new rout for the season -Hmmm.

Bottom line- hope no one else gets sick and you all have a great time warming up the ship for me in August.

P.S. keep us posted. My cousin is on the 7/1 sailing. I'm not telling her anything yet.

From the BBC. Interesting statistic in the last comment.

Vomiting virus hits cruise ship

Thursday, 26 May, 2005

A highly contagious virus has struck down about 200 passengers on a luxury cruise liner, P&O has confirmed.

Passengers on board the Oceana for a 17-day Mediterranean cruise have contracted the norovirus which causes nausea and vomiting for about 24 hours.

A P&O spokeswoman said about 130 of the ship's 2,015 passengers were still unwell. About 10% had been affected.

Hundreds of passengers and crew were hit by the same virus on another P&O liner, the Aurora, in 2003.

The spokeswoman said: "Passengers who are unwell are being asked to isolate themselves in their cabins for as long as necessary."

Sanitisation

She added that the 77,000 ton ship was undergoing an "extensive programme" of sanitation and disinfection to try to prevent the spread of the virus.

The company has said passengers who had been forced to isolate themselves would receive compensation.

The cruise ship left Southampton on 19 May and is due back in port on 5 June.

The spokeswoman said the virus had probably been brought on board by a passenger.

She added that American research suggested the chances of the catching the norovirus on land was 1 in 12, compared with 1 on 4,000 on a cruise. BBC

We are booked 6/3 cruise, is there any update on this? The one time we were on Princess there was a Norovirus and it effected the whole cruise. We didn't depart on time and set a cascade of events.

HELLO ROYAL CARIBBEAN. ARE YOU LISTENING? WE ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS ON FUTURE TRIPS. CAN YOU AT LEAST GIVE US ANY ASSURANCE THAT AFTER SPENDING TONS OF HARD EARNED MONEY TO PAY FOR A HEAVENLY VACATION, THAT IT WONT TURN INTO A VACATION FROM HELL? I FOR ONE DONT WANT TO CANCEL MY RESERVATIONS, BUT THERE ARE OTHERS WHO ARE WORRIED, WHO MIGHT.DO YOU CARE??????????

THANKS FOR LISTENING

Not reporting Norwalk type of illness is a major part of the problem and very selfish. When you are out and about you may only be spreading it to others. Also boarding with a gastrointestinal disturbance is even worse. There is a very good reason for isolation and quarantine. Treatment in the infirmary is usually free. The ship is not the problem; it's the carriers.

Maybe if the cruisers were compensated by the cruise ship rather than being quarantined to their cabin by force they would be more likely to report it. I'm not spending $1,000+ to spend my entire vacation stuck in my cabin watching free pay per view. I reported it one time and will never do it again. Only compensation I received was a $50.00 coupon for a future cruise. Yes, it was their food which got me sick so why should I be punished? I should have received a credit for every day I was stuck in that cabin. I could care less if I'm labeled as selfish.

HELLO ROYAL CARIBBEAN. ARE YOU LISTENING? WE ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS ON FUTURE TRIPS. CAN YOU AT LEAST GIVE US ANY ASSURANCE THAT AFTER SPENDING TONS OF HARD EARNED MONEY TO PAY FOR A HEAVENLY VACATION, THAT IT WONT TURN INTO A VACATION FROM HELL? I FOR ONE DONT WANT TO CANCEL MY RESERVATIONS, BUT THERE ARE OTHERS WHO ARE WORRIED, WHO MIGHT.DO YOU CARE??????????

THANKS FOR LISTENING

No one can give you assurance that you will not get sick on a ship no more than anyone can do the same thing on land. The Noro is usually brought on board by a passenger. All you can do is make sure that you wash your hands as much as possible. The cruise lines work hard to keep ships clean. Cruise lines do not answer the discussion boards.

Maybe if the cruisers were compensated by the cruise ship rather than being quarantined to their cabin by force they would be more likely to report it. I'm not spending $1,000+ to spend my entire vacation stuck in my cabin watching free pay per view. I reported it one time and will never do it again. Only compensation I received was a $50.00 coupon for a future cruise. Yes, it was their food which got me sick so why should I be punished? I should have received a credit for every day I was stuck in that cabin. I could care less if I'm labeled as selfish.

If it was their food that caused you to get sick, they wouldn't have quarantined you, because that is not contagious!

OBVIOUSLY you have no regard for your fellow passengers! It's this mentality that starts these things....you are selfish. You're lucky they gave you anything!!:rolleyes:

Most passengers travel by air to get to the departure port. Who's to say they aren't picking up something on the plane? Ever sit near someone who is hacking out a lung the entire flight and then days later you are too? Or how about pre cruise hotel rooms? Have you seen the reports on tv about disgustingly filthy hotel rooms are? You can't blame these illnesses on the cruise lines. I'm sure the ship's these days are cleaner than most public areas. People need to realize getting sick is a risk anywhere.

Illness happens -anywhere-. To cancel vacation on the chance that you -might- get sick is insane. You can get sick at a resort. You can get sick on an airplane. And yes - you can get sick on a cruise ship. You can also get sick just sitting in your home and going nowhere.

If you live in fear, you get nothing but fear. If you live your life worrying then you'll never take a chance.

Go on your vacation. Take care of yourself. Don't think about it, and realize that if you're meant to get sick on the ship, you likely would have gotten sick at home too.

And Bosco... you ever watch Third Watch? You're about as hyper as you TV counterpart tended to be. ;) In life there are no guarantees. ;)

Archived