Voyages to Antiquity questions/answers

Ontariotrekker

After dinner entertainment is provided by the vocalist in the small lounge and often the trio in the bigger one. The ship will run movies pertinent to the itinerary ( but perhaps not too new ) in the larger venue. We also had a local musical group come on while we were in Vietnam and they were wonderful.

Shar

Did you get special shots. we will be taking malaria tablets. Already have hepatitis etc.

When we visited the travel clinic, we were given some booster shots, nothing special.

As for malaria, we were told that as long as we only sleep on board the cruise ship, malaria should not be a problem, because the mosquito that carries malaria feeds only at night. (But, we were all assuming that there will be AC, and that we will not be sleeping on the open deck!) In your case, you have several pre-cruise land days in India, I would think that taking malaria tablets would be a worthwhile precaution.

We were also warned about Dengue fever, for which there is no vaccine. The mosquito that carries the Dengue fever feeds during the day time. We were advised to minimize the chance of getting bitten by using insect repellent containing at least 28.5% DEET.

In answer to a few questions...firstly its not at all like a "english boarding school". I am Aussie so have a natural aversion to all things stuffy and formal and it was not a bit like that on our last September cruise. I also love sea days...relax folks the tours are quite full and intensive you will enjoy some down time. V to A lets you have time to do whatever you want. I enjoyed organising my photos and sending some back to the facebook group (and yes the internet is slow). There are probably some card players on board or some experienced photographers who you can share info with...whatever its up to you. We enjoyed just sitting on our balcony enjoying the fantastic scenery. You could write up your travel diary to help remember all the outstanding things you are going to see.

The staff are absolutely amazing...so friendly and welcoming and nothing is too much trouble simply delightful.

Please please post some info as you travel through India and Egypt...I am booked for next year and cant wait!!!

Sue

As I seldom take pictures nor do not do travel diaries since I have too many places I have been to and do not play cards except solitaire or do Sudoku it might be long days for my husband and myself. We are taking many books and have kindle ready with several. Hopefully, there will be a deck chair that is ready for me so I can stare off in space. I am looking forward to the lectures.

Sounds like they run the ship like a British boarding school.icon7.gif

But with better food and no mandatory field hockey!

Someone mentioned a trio. Is this by chance Concerto Strings? We had them on Marco Polo and Discovery. It would be ironic if also here.

I believe they are called "Cafe Concerto Strings" so quite possibly the same group.

You are correct. Last time we saw them on the Discovery when we did Antarctica. They were quite put out as the Marco Polo as everyone knew it did not exist. They were not too happy with Discovery. Glad to see they are still around and will be happy to see them for the 4th time.

• 1 month later...

Hi Cynthia - according to the FLL office the brochures should be ready to ship in about 5 weeks. Apparently there will be 4 Black Sea cruises in 2014 due to the overwhelming demand. I was on the first one and it was wonderful - interesting ports and lovely things to see.

Shar

Hi Cynthia - according to the FLL office the brochures should be ready to ship in about 5 weeks. Apparently there will be 4 Black Sea cruises in 2014 due to the overwhelming demand. I was on the first one and it was wonderful - interesting ports and lovely things to see.

Shar

Good to hear they will have several Black Sea cruises -- hopefully one will work for me in terms of itinerary and timing!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your information. Not traveling till Feb. so maybe the smokestack will be resolved. please foward any info you can and is there someone to contact aboutwhen they expect to resolve the smokestack issue

Thanks again for your response

Archived