Which airport for Galveston to NY?

Elcruzer

Your choices are IAH and HOU.

IAH = George Bush Intercontinental Airport

HOU = Houston Hobby

More info: http://www.fly2houston.com/

IAH is slightly farther but is much larger, so probably your better bet for a variety of options. I'd suggest you do some searches on Google Flights so you can compare them easily together. Also check Southwest if you find that to be an option, since they are a sizable chunk of HOU's traffic.

Also, if you're going to be at the airport for hours you probably want IAH as Hobby doesn't have the same level of facilities (and probably no elite clubs, if you have access.)

Thanks for airport info.Any suggestions of ways to get from port to airport? Thinking of perhaps staying for a couple of days after cruise at either Galveston or Houston. Any suggestions for hotels and places to visit? Any hotel give transfers to airport?

You have the typical options for transfers from the port to the airports (shuttles and taxis). Taxis are probably much 2 expensive, unless (maybe) you have 4 or 5 people. I think Galveston is one of the rare cases where the cruise line transportation may be competitive (if you only have 2 people.)

But... it depends on if you want to stay on the island or head to Houston for a few days. If you want to stay on Galveston, you might have luck with a 1-way car rental. I don't think any agencies are open on Sundays these days, so it depends when you arrive. Galveston has quite a bit of historical stuff, but generally it's a place to just relax. I don't believe that you'll find any hotels on the island that provide transport to the airport because it is quite a distance. Many will provide transport from the ship to the hotel.

In Houston you may find some hotels will provide transport to the airport (but not from the port) and I'm sure they will be places near the airport so that may or may not be your best option. Houston is a BIG place so you will need a car if you intend to explore. If you choose to stay there, probably your best bet is to get a shuttle or take the cruise bus to the airport and rent a car from there. There is plenty to see and do in Houston, as you would expect in a metro area of 6 million people.

What I'd do: probably Houston. When I lived in Austin I'd go down to Galveston for a few days just for a break. There is nothing spectacular about the place, but I love the island. I enjoy being near the water and it is very low key (most of the year). However, if you're just getting off a cruise you probably aren't looking to vegetate, so Houston is probably a better option.

You have the typical options for transfers from the port to the airports (shuttles and taxis). Taxis are probably much 2 expensive, unless (maybe) you have 4 or 5 people. I think Galveston is one of the rare cases where the cruise line transportation may be competitive (if you only have 2 people.)

But... it depends on if you want to stay on the island or head to Houston for a few days. If you want to stay on Galveston, you might have luck with a 1-way car rental. I don't think any agencies are open on Sundays these days, so it depends when you arrive. Galveston has quite a bit of historical stuff, but generally it's a place to just relax. I don't believe that you'll find any hotels on the island that provide transport to the airport because it is quite a distance. Many will provide transport from the ship to the hotel.

In Houston you may find some hotels will provide transport to the airport (but not from the port) and I'm sure they will be places near the airport so that may or may not be your best option. Houston is a BIG place so you will need a car if you intend to explore. If you choose to stay there, probably your best bet is to get a shuttle or take the cruise bus to the airport and rent a car from there. There is plenty to see and do in Houston, as you would expect in a metro area of 6 million people.

What I'd do: probably Houston. When I lived in Austin I'd go down to Galveston for a few days just for a break. There is nothing spectacular about the place, but I love the island. I enjoy being near the water and it is very low key (most of the year). However, if you're just getting off a cruise you probably aren't looking to vegetate, so Houston is probably a better option.

Mike, thanks for all your info.

I would probably recommend Hobby if you can fly southwest to NY. I say that because Hobby is really not that hard to get in and out of and it is much closer to the city and things you might want to see than Bush.

Galveston you could spend a day at Moody Gardens or drive up to Clearlake (not terribly far) and see Kemah and NASA. I do know they offer buses from downtown to IAH but not sure about other areas of town or if they do it for Hobby. The buses are run through our Metro system and I believe they run every half hour. I would not rely on public transportation to get around Houston though just to the airport.

Another thing, you didn't mention when you were coming but if it is in March you should really plan to go to the Houston Rodeo. There are concerts every night after the event, rides, various live stock shows, etc.

Archived