Live from the Musica, Venice to Rio, daily report & any questions?

Skipper Tim

They are not provided for insides or outsides, categories 1-5. I know the top categories have them. Perhaps Amomondo could jump in here?

Splosh....in I leap..........

You only get robes in suites and balcony cabins(unless you are gold or black card member, then you get them in any cabin type).

Good afternoon from Casablanca!

I opened my curtains at 7 this morning to see a mountain of shipping containers passing by just a few feet away. The port of Casablanca is industrial and far from picturesque. Then it was for the port that the French colonial power originally developed Casablanca. It is therefore reassuring that Casablanca is still very much a working port and not just a stop for cruise ships.

After a rather busy breakfast at L'Oleandro's (poached egg on toast with a rasher of bacon), I had a jacuzzi on the pool deck while the queues to disembark subsided. The water was not as hot as on the QE2 or the two Royal Caribbean ships I have been on but it was warm enough. Actually, I remember lowering myself slowly into one of the jacuzzis on the stern of the QE2 charging across the Atlantic in January, thinking I was going to pass out with the heat.

The taxis nearest the ship wanted to take us on tours and were not interested in a short trip into town. We could however see regular taxis and their drivers beyond the first gates, already engaged in a brawl at the sight of us approaching and watched over by two policemen. One of the drivers crossed the line of the gate as we got near which immediately caused an uproar among the others. I asked "How much to the old medina?". "Ten Euros" he shouted over the din. One of the policemen now near us immediately said "Five!". There was considerable commotion as the first driver withdrew and others offered us various suggestions on where to go, "First time in Casablanca?", "2 hours - 30 Euros", "I will take you to the mosque" etc.. Finally a quiet man stepped forward from the rear and offered us the 5 Euro fare to the medina.

The main road of the medina was in the process of being resurfaced. It was reduced to rough hardcore with raised manholes etc. which just added to the scruffy, disorganised appearance. We managed to buy a a pair of leather sandals (€10) and a wooden desk organiser (€8) though we tried and failed to negotiate several other items. The problem with arriving anywhere by cruise ship is that prices rise the moment the ship docks and do not resume until after it has left. We had been followed into port by P&O's Oriana this morning, I gather also repositioning, and so for the sellers of Casablanca medina, their boat really had come in today - twice.

We were back onboard and at the entrance of L'Oleandro's for lunch at 12:35 - five minutes after opening. Still, all the smaller tables in the operating section had already been taken. We were shown to a 6-table which we subsequently had to share as the dining room filled up. I would prefer it if we were allowed a little more space at breakfast and lunch. Even when, as today, the MDR is quiet, it can feel incredibly packed and busy because they only open a small section of it and they scale-down the waiting staff.

I had "cod-fish salad" (more cod than salad) followed by boiled squid in an olive oil and lemon juice sauce and a delicious coffee ice cream. I don't know how they can make ice cream without a single crystal of ice spoiling the creamy texture.

Then I retreated to my regular perch mid-ships, on the non-smoking side of the pool deck by the Laguna bar in order to write this. The flies of Casablanca appear to like wine so I am now finishing my lunch with a 'Vechia Romagna' brandy - included in Allegrissimo.

I cannot understate the usefulness of my iPad while aboard. Apart from the obvious uses of keeping in touch by email and catching up on the news and other interests, it can bring up a map of the port and pinpoint our exact location within it, it shows our location while making passage without internet (using GPS and caching the maps), I can find out about local transport arrangements, obtain inside knowledge from the cruise forums and others, check credit card spending online, take advice on and book third party trips and tickets. I have a good stock of films to watch, things to read, my photo and video apps to edit as I go rather than be over-faced with task when I return and Skype to video-call home if there is free wi-fi ashore. Then, of course, I have been able to run this running commentary which is hopefully full of little details that may be of use to future cruisers but which I would otherwise have forgotten, or history re-written, by the end.

Today's observation is that the public loos on MSC are discreetly tucked away and initially take some locating. The symbol for the gents is also quite ambiguous and has confused both the ladies and gentlemen of our dining table. I would not read too much into this little nugget.

Second sitting has been put back 30 minutes to 9:30 pm tonight, possibly due to the late departure (10pm) from Casablanca. We are not Greek and have decided not to wait until after 10pm for our starter so we will be seeking to make the most of the buffet Gli Archi tonight instead. Tune in tomorrow to find out what and how we did.

I also hope to discuss the food in greater depth. I have been holding back on this sensitive and contentious topic until we had more experience. I have a developing theory which I would like to share with you more experienced MSCers for your feedback.

All to come.

Buoni Viaggi!

Splosh....in I leap..........

You only get robes in suites and balcony cabins(unless you are gold or black card member, then you get them in any cabin type).

Hi and greetings AmoMondo, thank you for your reply , when you state suites and balcony cabins - I am booked in a cat 7 (aft balcony - would this be included?) Tks so much

Good afternoon from the Gli Archi!

There is a slight swell and it is too windy to be on deck. The wicker-effect chairs there are moving of their own accord and we are all unable to walk in a straight line. The wind and the waves are still in quite different directions which suggests the sea may get worse as they align and the waves strengthen before we arrive in Tenerife tomorrow.

Last night we avoided the especially late (9:30pm opening) dinner at Le Maxims and instead ventured into the Gli Archi buffet for our first dinner there. We arrived a little before the start of the official 7pm start of the dinner menu. One thing I had already learned about the buffet is that it is only quiet when it is without food, serving only tea, coffee and water between 01:00 and 07:00. Sure enough, last night it was hard to find a table. There seem to be permanent refugees in residence. They look displaced among their immediate possessions and not really interested in food, in drink or in life for that matter. Perhaps they smuggled aboard and do not have cabins. Perhaps they were just saving their tables for later.

The Gli Archi, in common with the main dining rooms, spans the width of the ship and one side is the mirror image of the other. At peak times there are identical buffets in operation on both sides. Last night as we arrived, they were in the process of closing the buffet on the starboard (left) side and this was the side we chose to sit on, not too far from the crossing point which happens to house the bar.

It is a pleasant enough space with full-height outside windows running the full length and the buffet running in parallel on the inside. As this is deck 13, the views are impressive when in or near port. The seating area is at most two tables wide. As with the main dining rooms, most tables are for six, with the few tables for four and even fewer tables for two being highly-prized as, inevitably, any spare capacity at a table will be taken up later by uninvited others as Gli Archi crowds up.

At dinner, the buffet menu is identical to the main dining rooms except for the addition of fast food including pizzas, chips and burgers plus the 24-hours self-service coffee, tea and water station at the forward entrance. Drinks are waiter-served from the bar and we found this aspect faultless.

Compared to the main dining rooms, you get what you expect: self-service food, waiter-service drinks, scruffy crowds and plastic plates. It is not my idea of a quality dining experience but if you are hungry it should more than suffice. My advice would be to find a table to match your party size, ideally at a window in the day for the view, and not near to an operating part of the buffet due to the swarming crowds. At dinner, you can still dress up as you will mostly be looking at each other and this would improve your personal ambience.

Food

====

Here we go! My personal but considered view is a little at odds with most of the people aboard I have discussed food with and who have considerably more cruising experience than I. Their general consensus is that MSC food is below par. I believe it is not so straightforward and that there are two main factors coming into play.

1) There is excessive choice. MSC is not an American line, not is it European. It is multi-cultural and tries too hard to please everyone by offering a greater variety of dishes per meal than anyone would ever encounter in any shore-based restaurant in their own country and certainly more than on an American line. There are, day-in day-out, many items that any given person aboard would never order out of choice - if they knew what they were ordering.....

2) The menus are appalling. The names and descriptions of the dishes are sparse at very best but mostly totally misleading and some completely incorrect. As a result people think they have ordered one thing but something completely different arrives. The food consistently does not meet their expectations and they conclude that MSC food is poor. This is a translation issue not a food issue.

Airlines take the opposite approach. Upfront in business class there may be some choice but not too much. MSC should concentrate on fewer, quality dishes of which I have had many as good if not better than on Royal Caribbean and Cunard. However, unless one experiences and memorises the names of a large number of dishes aboard, we are choosing blind each time we order. If they took the crud away and improved the information and translations, we would be more impressed with MSC food.

There, that wasn't so contentious was it? What do you think?

It is Gala night no. 2 tonight. I am looking forward to returning to Maxim's and our lively table. For any prospective solo travellers, I would highly recommend a repositioning cruise and a table for eight at dinner!

One addendum I would like to make to an earlier post. The Maitre D has been much more jolly, friendly in subsequent encounters. Whether this is the result of MSC reading this blog or because it was just a bad day for him when we boarded, I will never know.

I hope to post an album of select photos so far from an Internet cafe in Tenerife tomorrow as the half-way point (in days). This may be on Facebook unless there are any better suggestions.

Also tonight, we have Frank Sinatra performing for us in Teatro La Scala. Can't wait!

'Till the next time.

I'm really enjoying your live review Tim. I was on the Musica 3 weeks ago and I would totally agree with you about the food - too much choice, often bland and not what you were expecting, but sometimes superb.

It was my 1st time with MSC after over 30 cruises with Royal Caribbean. I loved the ship, thought the service was hit and miss and in general enjoyed the food.

I will certainly try MSC again.

Paul

Good afternoon from Il Tucano ('The Tucan')!

Today we are heading South-South-West from Tenerife towards Brazil on the first of five consecutive sea days. It is 22 degrees and mostly sunny outside and hence there are large crowds on the upper decks. All the regular daytime activities (quizzes, keep-fit, dance lessons etc.) that were taking place here in the Tucan are now switched to the stage forward of the main pool bar, La Laguna, mid-ships. Consequently it is rather noisy and busy up there. There are quieter spots outside around the extremities in which to lie down but none at which to sit and type. In contrast, I am sharing the huge Tucan lounge with just two book readers and the bar maid.

Being aboard is already affecting my appreciation of time. Somehow I have lost a day. Yesterday i thought it was Sunday and hence the 25th when in fact it was Monday 26th and the therefore day to deal with our immigration procedure for Brazil. My mother and I missed our allotted slot in the Crystal lounge. Angela however was given a slot today so we gate-crashed her slot.

We had been given 'landing' cards to complete and had in with our passports. These were the usual: name, date of birth, passport number, country of residence, nationality and, ambiguously, "upon arrival in Brazil, country of origin / country of destination". The stop immediately prior to Brazil was Tenerife and after Brazil we are flying to the U.K.. For completeness therefore, I wrote "Spain / U.K." The rather rude lady dealing with me crossed both of these out and wrote "Argentina". Many onboard are continuing onto Argentina but we get off at Rio. Having exhausted the subtleties of my command of the English language, the clearest way I could think of expressing myself was, "I am not going to Argentina."

My mother thought I should not just accept Argentina as my destination. What it says on the landing card may ultimately not make any practical difference. However 1) if we do have any problems leaving Brazil because of this error, this lady would not be around to assist in resolving them; and 2) she really ought to have known better and, at the very least, have be prepared to listen to me. I felt as frustrated as a child not being believed by grown-ups - is this the start of the loss of credibility that comes with old age? "Believe me! The ship is going to Argentina" she said. "Yes, but I am not". She tutted, shook her head and called the next person forward. That was that. Is this what it will be like in an old person's home?

My second timing error was to put my clock back one hour one day early. The Daily Programme was on my bed when I returned last night with the instruction to put our clocks back "tonight". I did so before retiring. Of course it was the next day's programme and this put me one hour behind the rest of the ship. Just as I was about to leave for my early morning jacuzzi, my mother phoned me from Oleandro's to ask why I was not at breakfast. They were still laughing when I arrived. Worse things have happened at sea.

Last night the dress code at dinner was "casual" as it is again tonight. Our table was full, as it has been every night except for the one night in Casablanca which had a 9:30 pm start and only the Dutch mother and daughter were present. We have settled into a routine and the service, although clearly under pressure, manages to cope. We have learned to read the menu in several languages to get a better idea of what will come.

Like some who may be reading this, we are actively considering alternatives to the Allegrissimo package on a prospective future cruise with MSC. Allegrissimo is extraordinary good value if you exploit its potential but it almost doubles the cruise fare of an inside on a repositioning and gives a positive incentive to drink more than one perhaps otherwise would.

The Cheers package is currently advertised on board at €14.30 + 15% service = €16.44 per night. This comprises wine by the glass, draft beer and water at lunch and dinner only. However, this is a few cents more than the cost of two half-litre carafes of wine €7 each + 15%). If you won't drink a litre of wine per day per person and/or want to drink wine outside the dining rooms then pay-as-you go would be more cost-effective. I can confirm the tap water in the cabins is safe to drink and tastes fine.

The first gala night offers free cocktails and if you are a repeat MSC guest there will be at least one repeat guest event with free drinks. As I sit here in the Tucan drinking beer, I think next time I would opt for pay-as-you-go and have the occasional alcohol-free day for health purposes.

Having said that, it would be foolish not to pick up the on-board credit voucher while on-board. This costs €10 charged to your on-board account and gives on-board credit on a future cruise of at least 7 nights and starting within 18 months of the end of the current cruise of €150 inside, €200 outside or balcony, €300 suite or €400 MSC Yacht Club. €200 is 25 carafes' worth including the service charge.

According to my iPad's map, we have just passed Western Sahara and are now opposite the coast of Mauritania. Time to venture back on deck to sample the air....

So enjoying your review.

Question about the IPAD. What internet package did you get and how much? How was the quality of the connection?

I posted the prices higher up this thread. The connection is somewhere between dial up and broadband. It is better early morning when it is not being shared so among so many!

Good afternoon from the Blue Marlin bar, pool deck!

We passed the Cape Verde islands around breakfast time and as we race towards the equator at 21 knots, the temperature and humidity are certainly rising. The forecast says 25 degrees C minimum and 26 maximum today - I imagine this is the temperature of the sea around us. All officers and crew have switched to their tropical uniforms and it now feels a very different ship to the one we boarded in Venice.

We are on a course of 205 degrees (SSW) all the way to Salvador and, by my calculations, we will cross the equator around 8 a.m. on Friday. As it is Summer in the Southern Hemisphere, we should be closest to the Sun around 36 hours later, i.e. 8 pm on the evening before we make landfall. If the sun comes out in Salvador we will fry!

Thankfully, the holiday camp style daily activities were moved back down to the Tucano lounge today due to expected rain. I have seen rain either side of the ship but so far we have managed to dodge it. The pool deck is relatively civilised as a result.

I want to mention my cabin service which has been perfect so far. I barely see my cabin attendant. She introduced herself on the first evening back in Venice as "Joseph". I told her than is a man's name. She laughed and said "I know, it is my father's name". I am not quite sure from which country or delightful culture she originates or indeed whether I should call her Miss Joseph or Mrs Joseph, rather than just Joseph. Either way, it is a memorable name and Joseph always services my cabin when I am at breakfast, which I attend as it opens at 7:30, and at dinner for which I usually leave around 8. I find myself always returning to an immaculate cabin. The times since the introduction that I have met her have been elsewhere by chance. I could not ask for better cabin service other than perhaps Cunard's nightly chocolate left on the pillow.

This morning I went to a talk on the technical aspects of the MSC Musica. Many stayed away fearing that it would be given in 7 languages. It was English only and apparently the same talk is given through the day in different languages. I didn't really learn much that is not already on the web but a few videos of the innards of the ship were new to me and it helped pass away some time after breakfast.

This is a sea day. It is all about sitting around reading, talking and making plans for the next port. I brought along the Rough Guide for every country we are visiting and they help make up for the lack of port lectures onboard. Our Swiss tour-guide dining companion just stopped by for a coffee while I was writing this and stayed for an hour or so. He had a fair few entertaining stories which I am not at liberty to share!

We will do breakfast at the buffet tomorrow just to break the routine and try to collect a full English breakfast on one plate.

Time for a siesta before meeting for the show tonight: "Sogno Italiano" (no further information provided :- ).

Ciao Regazzi!

Edited by Skipper Tim

Greetings and Tks for the entertaining informative reports on your crossing.These are being read by our whole family each day. Which ports will still be visited on your trip and also which on board stores are available? Tks and enjoy the sun

Good afternoon from my cabin on deck 8!.

It is 28 degrees and very humid outside though we have not seen the sun today. Our latitude is down to 5 degrees 54 minutes North and we are making around 19.5 knots still on a course of 205 degrees (SSW). By my calculations, we are still on track to cross the equator between 7:30 and 8:00 tomorrow morning local time (which will be GMT - 2).

Last night at dinner I was explaining how we managed to get the flight back from Rio to the UK for £40 plus lots of 'hard work' collecting supermarket and credit card points. We have collected UK Airmiles for many years but when it morphed into Avios last year, the new conditions allowed one-way flights. The best use of these I have found so far is to pay for what would be an otherwise prohibitively expensive one-way long-haul flight to combine with a bargain repositioning cruise.

We are already planning the next MSC cruise - a repositioning back from Brazil to Europe in March or April. We have a friend who is keen to join us and I had to bring her up to speed on how to avoid paying £1,000 for the flight when the cruise is less than £400. There are two main ways (in the UK): 1) buying items at Tesco that carry bonus Clubcard points (a flight to Brazil costs £104 in vouchers + taxes) or 2) taking out one of the flavours of American Express card and spending a certain amount within a certain time for a 'welcome bonus' convertible to Avios. Our friend took the latter option with the intention of pre-paying for her own funeral. For the same price as a funeral you can have a funeral and a flight to Brazil! You also fix at today's funeral prices and get to choose the music, the reading and the people you would like to invite. It is win-win-win. Our dining companions were in stitches.

Before lunch today, we overheard some Australians complaining that it was impossible to find out what films are showing on the TV on what days or even what today's or tomorrow's films are other than by watching. I must agree that the poor quality of information, certainly in English but also perhaps other languages, to me is the single biggest failing of MSC. Things could be an awful lot worse but never really knowing what is going on or what we are ordering to eat is a constant source of irritation. The Daily Programme contains so many glaring errors and dubious uses of English that its usefulness and credibility are extremely limited.

For example, in 40 minutes time in the Blue Velvet lounge we have one of today's "Entertainment highlights" described:

"Art & Fantasy. We are on time... to create! Overall we begin to create BAG!".

There are so few English speakers aboard that there is no way to spread the knowledge required to compensate for the poor quality and lack of information through the official channels. We shouldn't need the informal network. MSC please take note!

I noticed that this thread had 1,500 hits as of this morning. I never imagined that my ramblings both verbally and around the MSC Musica would command such a following! Thank you for humouring me.

That is all for today. I may have to 'create BAG' to keep myself occupied on this third consecutive sea day.

Are there any questions while I am still aboard?

Greetings and Tks for the entertaining informative reports on your crossing.These are being read by our whole family each day. Which ports will still be visited on your trip and also which on board stores are available? Tks and enjoy the sun

Thank you too! We just have Salvador on Sunday then we leave at Rio on Tuesday.

On board stores are: duty free at uncompetitive prices, the MSC logo shop, watches, jewellery and perfume. I think shore shopping would usually be more productIve.

Regards,

Tim.

Thank you too! We just have Salvador on Sunday then we leave at Rio on Tuesday.

On board stores are: duty free at uncompetitive prices, the MSC logo shop, watches, jewellery and perfume. I think shore shopping would usually be more productIve.

Regards,

Tim.

There is also a hand bag shop which I hadn't noticed until you asked.

I am really enjoying your diary / review. Probably because I'm dreaming of making a transatlantic cruise myself :rolleyes:

I have a couple of questions:

* When cruising the next time (transatlantic back from S-America to Europe?), will you then cruise MSC as well? Or will you try another shipping company/vessel?

* What do you think about the fact that many passengers cruising onboard MSC do not seem to respect the dress codes? (Myself, I find it not OK to appear in jeans and t-shirt during dinner. People not wearing formal attires when coming to the captains/gala dinners, should not be allowed to enter the a la carte restaurants. They should resolute be advised by the maitre that they are welcome to the buffet restaurant instead).

Wishing you the best for the rest of the cruise.

Good morning from the equator!

The ship's horn blasted three times as we crossed the equator this morning at just before nine. We started celebrating half an hour before with sparking wine on the pool deck. A latino lady approached us with her own. "I saw you and thought what a good idea!" We explained why we were celebrating. "Forget the equator, it is always 5 O'Clock somewhere!".

Breakfast was again chaotic. Each time we have put the clocks back, an exceptionally large number of people come at the opening of breakfast either because they failed to make the time change and believe it is one hour later and/or because they have slept enough and want to get on with their day. We go to the opening because we don't wish to be seated with strangers at breakfast and the smaller tables are in a tiny minority. The large, early influx meant that they were short-staffed and under pressure. I imagine conditions in the buffet were even worse.

Angela and I asked for the fresh fruit salad but received fruit compote - always without the listed baked apple. We had already waited an age so accepted what we got. Then the next course was dumped on our table before we had finished the first. We had to wait for coffee cups and had trouble getting bread. It was not the best breakfast but the 'champagne' on deck afterwards helped lift the mood.

Interesting fact of the day, and never mentioned before elsewhere as far as I know is that there are no urinals aboard the MSC Musica. All the public gentlemen's loos are cubicle only. I applaud this as it avoids countless awkward situations. Also, there are no hand-dryers - just paper towels. Again this a sensible move after the trend over years of going for the convenience of the establishment over basic hygiene. Signs invite guests to open and close the doors with a paper towel too.

I have just heard applause emanating from the Teatro La Scala. Quickly checking the Daily Programme, there is no event listed there for this morning so I popped to the entrance to have a look. The Maitre D was on stage with an audience of several dozen white-jacketed waiters. There was a slide on view entitled "Staff Training and Development - Body Language". This would have been infinitely more interesting that the daily talks there intended for guests. Sadly it was the final slide and the waiters were starting to leave.

I discovered yesterday evening that it is possible to buy the onboard credit vouchers for future cruises (€10 cost for €150+ benefit) for other people. The only extra condition is that they must be on the same cruise as the person buying the voucher. I have emailed a couple of absent friends.

Three of our dining table have acquired some health complaint manifesting itself as a loss of or croaky voice and stiff neck. It is hardly a surprise mixing with so many people from around the world with re-circulating air. I hope to kill mine off with alcohol. The trick is to drink enough to kill it otherwise it develops resistance to alcohol and then the quantity required escalates. I will have a double strength Bloody Mary before lunch and see how it goes.

This is consecutive sea-day number four. It is hot, windy and quite crazy on deck with masses of chattering, near-naked bodies, Butlins-style entertainment and various sales operations all going on simultaneously. Hopefully the crowds will stop up there while we have a civilised lunch in Oleadro's. I miss the adult-only, quiet retreat area of the pool deck of Royal Caribbean's vision class ships.

They are still heavily promoting the Allegrissimo drinks package with only days remaining. The Daily Programme insert as well as the morning sales announcements over the P.A. say "drink as much as you want every day for €20". So much for having to pre-book.

I am really enjoying your diary / review. Probably because I'm dreaming of making a transatlantic cruise myself :rolleyes:

I have a couple of questions:

* When cruising the next time (transatlantic back from S-America to Europe?), will you then cruise MSC as well? Or will you try another shipping company/vessel?

MSC again. They have the best deals for solos.

* What do you think about the fact that many passengers cruising onboard MSC do not seem to respect the dress codes? (Myself, I find it not OK to appear in jeans and t-shirt during dinner. People not wearing formal attires when coming to the captains/gala dinners, should not be allowed to enter the a la carte restaurants. They should resolute be advised by the maitre that they are welcome to the buffet restaurant instead).

This is something I am accustomed to in hotels. The World is forever getting more casual. We dress up regardless as we are mostly looking at each other. I think the staff appreciate it too and dressing up does seem to improve the service. We must always try to raise the tone!

Wishing you the best for the rest of the cruise.

Many thanks. We have plans for Slavador and i look forward to sharing whatever happens here.

Until tomorrow....

Edited by Skipper Tim

Tim, I look forward to reading your latest instalment each day. Just love your sense of humour, not to merkin your strategy for getting rid of the bugs that invariably circulate on the repo cruises. Think it's partly all those bodies cooped up together on sea days on the crossing and partly the change in climate.

Have a great time in Salvador. I really like that town and it's so easy to explore on your own. Just nip around the back of the indoor Market (or through it) acrossnthenroad to the public elevator up to the historic barrio alto.never seen so many different coloured pastel buildings and churches in any given square. View from up there is amazing too.

Good morning from the Spa Bar, all the way forward on deck 13.

Alcohol failed to cure me yesterday, despite giving it my best shot. Today, I am trying a different approach. I am on 'Oriental Soup' which is a cocktail of carrot, cucumber, celery, beetroot and fresh ginger and is exclusive to the Spa Bar. It looks like frothy blood and has already aroused the interest of a passing officer. The bar man told him the ingredients and he shook his head, perhaps in disbelief, perhaps as in "no, not for me". Delicious - I am feeling better already!

The Spa Bar is a small, quiet and cool haven with just two tables and seating for just 10 plus half a dozen bar stools. Opposite the bar is the Aurea Spa reception and the whole bar area is used to display beauty products which, thankfully, I have no need of. The barman looks bored, then I am his only customer. He should be grateful for little he can get..

Forward of the bar is the gym area with a collection of treadmills and cycling machines occupied by people who appear to have eaten too much. There is also a small collection of unoccupied weight machines and some free weights. Half the floor area is used for paid-for exercise classes. (The free exercise sessions are organised by the entertainment team either on deck or in the Tucano lounge). The most outstanding feature of this space however is the wall of glass facing forward over the ocean. You become immediately aware of the pitching of the ship and perhaps it is not the best place to be if you are prone to seasickness, unless you particularly want to be sick that is.

As the oriental soup starts to enter my bloodstream, the peace and tranquility is being disturbed only by a rather camp young man at the spa reception arguing about his "package". Time for a beer.

I have moved aft to the madness of the Blue Marlin bar. All the tables are in permanent occupation. People are sitting playing cards, reading, drinking, people-watching but mostly they are talking, very loudly. They compete with the piped music system of the bar and whatever entertainment is taking place on the stage further aft which involves music of its own and a woman counting in up very enthusiastically in Spanish. Oh dear, a train of bewildered but happy people has just passed through the bar led by said women wearing a red beret. Funny, my spell-checker wanted t make that a "red ferret". Now that would have been something.

In the absence of a free table seat, I am sitting at the bar watching a exceptionally tall barman clean the ceiling above the bar. I would mention something about job security but I doubt he would hear me above the din.

I think the beer may be reacting with the oriental soup. This new combination should really catch the bug out!

Thanks AmoMondo! We were hoping to take in the arts and crafts market and the colonial centre. I feared we would dock at the new ferry terminal a couple of km away. I hope you are right about docking near the market. MSC never tell us these type of details in advance - they prefer us to blindly book the shuttle.

Well it is almost time for a Bloody Mary. I have to keep my bug confused! More tomorrow....

I miss the adult-only, quiet retreat area of the pool deck of Royal Caribbean's vision class ships.

How many children would say are onboard? Probably quite young/small ones (pre school-aged)? :eek:

I understand you very well... Adult-only areas are the best!

However, my experience with MSC is that their ships hardly have any adult-only areas at all. And if they have, families (especially Italian ones) with children doen't respect the rules...and the staff onboard do not bother. That is a pity!

Edited by Frode

Good afternoon from Salvador de Bahia, Brazil, our final port of call before leaving in Rio on Tuesday. According to the Daily Programme, it was 2,842 nautical miles since Tenerife, our previous port of call. After crossing the equator, we our now in Summer and, around 13 degrees South in early December, about as close to the Sun as it is possible to be without leaving the Earth. And it is hot, hot, hot!

We docked around 9:30 and the first in the queues were allowed off around 10:15. My plan was to stay on the ship, appreciate it when quiet, have a civilised lunch then venture out this afternoon as the masses started returning. I was overruled and regretted not doing my own thing.

If you like being part of a large crowd, loads of sales hassle, noise, queuing for everything and being ripped off for everything then you too should try to get off the ship as early as possible in every port of call. If you are a little more like me, hold on and wait at least until the balance of people traffic to and from the ship is against you then venture out slowly.

Salvador is colourful, historic, beautiful in the centre and interesting. I am sure had I being staying here before the MSC Musica arrived, I would have been horrified at the transformation for the day and headed for the beach instead. I grabbed a few photos, we did the essential items on our plan - cash machine (not easy!), the 'arts and crafts' market, lift to the old town and a walking tour at the top. The heat was oppressive and we retreated to the shade in the main square where there was a samba band playing and other acts laid on for us. I felt a tourist and uncomfortable with it. I may return on my own terms.

Time is running out on this trip but I have a few bits and bobs to mention before I forget.

Fresh orange juice is only available at La Laguna bar, centre of the pool deck. We obtained it once at breakfast in Oleandro's early on in the trip - i.e. before the staff had been trained to tell us, literally, where to go. We have at at other bars and the buffet and have since consistently received the same reply. The stuff at breakfast is not even concentrate, it is sugary cordial.

Spa prices are usually discounted around 25% on long port days but remain outrageously expensive for anyone who has ever been to Turkey!

The ship wi-fi behaves oddly. Once signed up to a package via your device (requires name, d.o.b. and cabin number), you are given cryptic a username and password. Signing in requires selecting the "hotspot" from the list of wi-fi networks, entering username and password, then immediately re-selecting the hotspot again before there is any internet connection. Most of my first hour was lost because I did not do the last and time was ticking away before I tried to sign-in again. To sign out, direct your browser to "logout.com". I now do this twice to make sure.

The Allegrissimo package also works a little strangely. It is possible to order more than one person's drinks on one card but there is reasonable diligence to ensure that the people you are with at the time are also on the same package. Typically this involves allowing no more than three drinks on one card and asking at least to see another person's card before accepting a larger order. At dinner early on, all cards were requested at the table, I suspect as a check on our settled table group. Each order must be signed for and a receipt is given. If an item is not included in Allegrissimo, there will be a non-zero total on the bottom line of the receipt. It is worth checking each time just in case of an error on either side.

I have been disappointed by the quality of the two red wines included in Allegrissimo. The merlot is almost without taste and the montepulciano just acceptable. Wine is intensely personal but I favour bigger new world wines. These two are as far from those as imaginable. The rule here is that as soon as you pay a fixed priced to drink as much as you want, the quality drops. As I said in a previous post, I would veer towards pay-as-you-go on my next MSC cruise over Allegrissimo. However, if you are a heavy cocktail or spirits drinker then Allegrissimo at current rates would be the way to go. Also I hear that the Trebiano d'Abruzzo white wine is like a good Chardonnay. White wine is wasted on me so I cannot comment.

There, a few outstanding details dealt with. I will finish with a story from yesterday.

Yesterday after lunch, I ran into a staff cocktail demonstration at the Tucano bar. A lady with three pips on her epaulettes was sitting at the bar and reading the instructions while a group of barmen behind the bar took turns to mix and shake. "Hey, your belly is shaking!", I overheard her say. Each cocktail was poured to chants of, "Go! Go! Go!", as they downed in one and moved onto the next. It was an increasingly jolly affair and I approached and asked to take their photo. They merrily obliged and offered me a present of their current cocktail, 'Forever Young' (not yet on the cocktail menu). I thanked them and said "Forever Young? Just in time!".

It is almost over for this series of 'live from the MSC Musica'. I will try to post my final live blog and second half photos from the airport lounge, Rio, Tuesday evening. I will try to answer any outstanding questions upon my return to the UK Wednesday.

Thanks for watching!

Tim,