Live from the Musica, Venice to Rio, daily report & any questions?

Skipper Tim

Yes it is weird! I have looked at your voyage on expedia. Price for outside cabin category 5 is US 1600 per person with dobble occupancy. If you go solo is US 2900!

It's a pity you can't book through a UK agency or even MSC UK as that is a huge difference in price to those Skipper Tim and I pay

Hi Tim, really enjoyed your TA blog. We are recent converts to MSC, after coming home from a 7nt Med Magnifica in May we had booked for next year within a month, the Jubillee promotion helped on that one. On the subject of single air fare, if you know you are going to do two TA from/to the same port would you book a return fare to use as two singles? We have sailed from Europe to Florida in the past, so out of interest I priced Belfast to Orlando in April, returning in November,£424, result! Any one tried it?

Hi Tim, really enjoyed your TA blog. We are recent converts to MSC, after coming home from a 7nt Med Magnifica in May we had booked for next year within a month, the Jubillee promotion helped on that one. On the subject of single air fare, if you know you are going to do two TA from/to the same port would you book a return fare to use as two singles? We have sailed from Europe to Florida in the past, so out of interest I priced Belfast to Orlando in April, returning in November,£424, result! Any one tried it?

Good thinking! It is a shame MSC don't put their itineraries on sale much in advance to enable this type of creative flight & cruise booking.

In my case, I paid with Avios and the Avios fare one-way is exactly half the return fare plus the usual taxes etc.. But yes, if paying with real money, singles can be the same price as returns.

The alternative would be just to stay in the destination country (U.S., Brazil etc.) until the ship returns.

It's a pity you can't book through a UK agency or even MSC UK as that is a huge difference in price to those Skipper Tim and I pay

Yes you are right, thanks for your empathy. Maybe one day I will find a good deal as solo traveler. In the mean time I wish you and Skipper Tim many happy sailings with MSC.

can you check your cabin tv for connections?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1752152

Not so easily. I left the Musica almost two weeks ago. I do remember there were quite a lot of gubbings behind the TV and also on the floor at the foot of the minibar cabinet - probably associated with the interactive aspects of the TV service.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Tim,

We're taking a repositioning cruise on the MSC Musica this fall (Marseille to Santo Domingo), so I greatly enjoyed reading your live blog about your similar experience! I'm currently reading your second live blog, too :)

I have a question regarding the passing of Gibraltar; as it seems at that point your cruise was quite similar to what ours will be. We'll have a sea day between the last Mediterranean port and Funchal, with Gibraltar somewhere in the middle of the way. I'm hoping we'll get a good view of the rock, Europe and Africa, but I'm a bit worried we might actually pass it by night.

You're not going into detail about it, which makes me fear even more this may be the case. So, what was your experience?

Thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello Skipper Tim,

we really enjoy your post. In one week we will board MSC Musica for the same transatlantic cruise. And your post has given us a lot of tips for preparing the trip. Thanks a lot!

I got a sensitive ear- which means I'm easy to get dizzy. Even in my last Greek cruise I need anti-sick hand band and sometimes pills to overcome dizziness. Can you tell me, was it very wavy/shaky when the ship crossing the Atlantic, and sorry to ask...is it safe? In my imagination, crossing such a big ocean is a little scary. Were there days the ship is shaking so much no one leaves the room and couldn't eat?

Thank you!

Vagary

Hello Skipper Tim,

we really enjoy your post. In one week we will board MSC Musica for the same transatlantic cruise. And your post has given us a lot of tips for preparing the trip. Thanks a lot!

I got a sensitive ear- which means I'm easy to get dizzy. Even in my last Greek cruise I need anti-sick hand band and sometimes pills to overcome dizziness. Can you tell me, was it very wavy/shaky when the ship crossing the Atlantic, and sorry to ask...is it safe? In my imagination, crossing such a big ocean is a little scary. Were there days the ship is shaking so much no one leaves the room and couldn't eat?

Thank you!

Vagary

Tim doesn't post on here anymore as he's stopped cruising with MSC.

I've done the crossing 5 times and it varies. Worse wether I ever had was in the Med on the first 2 days of the sailing, the rest was like a mill pond. Others times mostly smooth sailing with the occasional rough seas for a day or so at most.

They cross quite far south, so it's not like the winter seas you'd experience sailing from Europe to New York.

Seas are unpredictable though and storms can happen. It would be very unusual if yiu were stuck in your cabin the entire crossing though.