Hair Cut - encouragement please

magandab

Oh dear. I've been growing my hair long for quite a while, with a goal of reaching my bra band in back. I'm about 3" away. Well, for the last month or two my hair has been coming out like crazy, leaving the ends much thinner than they were. At the same time, I'm getting tons of new growth coming in, so no thinning on the scalp.

I have an appt for Thursday to get a cut and have decided to chop off about 3-4 inches, bringing it to just above my shoulders. But, it's sooooooooo hard to do. My cruise starts next week and I want to look good and stylish and know this is the right thing to do, but... eeeeeek

Even when you're growing your hair out, you need to continue to get it cut. Cutting off 3-4 inches of heat damaged hair and split ends is going to make your hair look a lot healthier. Doing this now will help you in the long run. You're doing the right thing! Your hair is going to feel thick throughout and healthier.

I'm trying to talk myself into getting a long bob (just above the shoulders) as I hear it's the most flattering style for my shape (both face and body). It helps that it's an "in" style. And it'll make your hair feel thicker.

Just Google "long bob hairstyle" and you'll see alot of pictures, with or without bangs.

I'm trying to talk myself into getting a long bob (just above the shoulders) as I hear it's the most flattering style for my shape (both face and body). It helps that it's an "in" style. And it'll make your hair feel thicker.

Just Google "long bob hairstyle" and you'll see alot of pictures, with or without bangs.

Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to see and will work with my hair perfectly. Now, to pick one out to print and take with me.

Yeah, do it...and then, get regular trims! You have to keep the ends trimmed or they fray. Oh, and NEVER, EVER brush wet or damp hair...comb only! Seems counter-intuitive, but it keeps your hair healthier looking and it will continue to grow! Just below the shoulder is still considered "long"!!

I do get regular trims and have throughout the growing process. I missed my last scheduled trim because of some horribly neck/headache issues so I REALLY need it now. I printed out a couple of pictures of the long bob style I like and am going for it!

I just got a long bob last week, right above my shoulders, I had long hair and it started to look unhealthy. I LOVE it!!!!!! I wanted something different for our cruise so I am really excited!!!!

Just go for it, it will grow back!

When I was doing hair, I used to tell my clients the best conditioner was a haircut. But I'll agree with klauer, don't go so dramatic unless you really need that much length cut off.

I get my hair cut at least 2 weeks before a cruise. I want it fresh, but not that just cut look. My hair takes at least that long to really settle into a cut, then I have 5 weeks of great haircut, followed by one too long week before I get in for the next cut. I stretch it out to save some $$.

When I was doing hair, I used to tell my clients the best conditioner was a haircut. But I'll agree with klauer, don't go so dramatic unless you really need that much length cut off.

I get my hair cut at least 2 weeks before a cruise. I want it fresh, but not that just cut look. My hair takes at least that long to really settle into a cut, then I have 5 weeks of great haircut, followed by one too long week before I get in for the next cut. I stretch it out to save some $$.

I think I'm going with the long bob as I'm ready for something new, and I need to have my hair shorter as all the new growth catches up. Actually, I'm kind of excited about the change and hope I can carry that through until tomorrow at noon!

Yay, can't wait to hear how it goes tomorrow. Are you going with or without bangs? I've had bangs for years and love them. And are you going shorter in back? I think I'm going to go with the undercut style instead. Now I just need to make the appointment...

Yay, can't wait to hear how it goes tomorrow. Are you going with or without bangs? I've had bangs for years and love them. And are you going shorter in back? I think I'm going to go with the undercut style instead. Now I just need to make the appointment...

I don't think I'll do bangs, as I need my hair long enough to clip it back off my face when I do agility with one of my dogs. I just don't like the shorter in back style - something about it bugs me! LOL I think I'll have it layered a bit, which will make the thinner ends look like they are on purpose.

I like this one http://0.tqn.com/d/beauty/1/0/z/Q/1/brooklyn-decker-long-bob.jpg

and this one http://imnotabarbie.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/heidi-klum-shoulder-length-blonde-hairstyle.jpg

Of course I have about half gray and am not blonde, young, or beautiful! LOL

I think I like the second one best but I think my hair would work better with the first. Sigh... it's never easy.

They're both similar enough that either would work. The first one may have a bit more layers, which may make your hair look thicker. My problem with layers is that it brings out my ugly waves. That's why I'll go with an undercut instead (no layers, the underneath is cut shorter to create a turn-under style).

I know what you mean about losing hair thickness. I've always had very thick hair until this year. Dang menopause! So I should get my hair cut about 4" to the shoulder and it'll look alot healthier and thicker.

Good luck tomorrow! I know you'll love it!

I finally made the appt for tomorrow (Friday) at 11 a.m. Gotta say, long hair has been so easy - only need to wash it every other day. Shower cap on the other days because it still looks great when I wake up in the morning. With the shorter hair, I'll need to wet and style it every morning. But that's ok, it'll be nice to get back to the long bob I had for so many years.

Still loving it on day 2. It blew dry easily. I like it straight, curly, and even a bit messy. This is going to be great on the cruise! With a new 'do and having lost the 23 pounds I wanted to, I WON'T be avoiding the ship photographers!

That's so great Amy! I'm not liking mine at the moment - she cut it way too short and then flat ironed all the body out of it. Can't wait to wash it tomorrow and do it the right way. Then we shall see. It's just...so...short. Right at my shoulders (and I have a very short neck).

My senior year of college, many many years ago, I got a high fever for about 5 days and my hair thinned a lot. It started to look very stingy, so I got a cute little bob, and it was just the hair cut I needed for entering the work force.

The good news is, that a bob is easy to grow out as your hair thickens again.

What ever you decide, I think you'll be surprised how easy thing are with shorter hair. And if you want a longer pony tail, just buy one of those clip on pony tails, they are great for a quick hair do in a pinch.

Still loving it on day 2. It blew dry easily. I like it straight, curly, and even a bit messy. This is going to be great on the cruise! With a new 'do and having lost the 23 pounds I wanted to, I WON'T be avoiding the ship photographers!

So do we get to see photos before your cruise, or do we have to anxiously wait until you get back? I loved the look of Brooklyn Decker's bob so much that I printed the photo you posted and took it to my hair appointment that I already had made for Wednesday. I had my stylist cut about 3 inches off, she wouldn't go quite as short as the photo because I was a little uncertain if I would like it, but said we could go a little shorter when I go back for a color in a few weeks. Right now it comes about an inch below my collar bone, it's a nice length because it's kind of short and bouncy, but would grow out quickly if I wanted it to. Can't wait to see yours!

You'll have to wait - LOL But, I leave in just a couple of days so it won't be too long. I keep shaking my head back and forth because I love the feeling of my hair again. I am afraid I'm just not meant for long hair as much as I (and DH) would love it to be long. sigh.....

A great haircut that feels good makes such a positive statement, so I'm glad to read you are happy :)

It's been so long since I went to school for my license. I recall we studied the life expectancy of hair and that it's different for everyone. Some peoples hair just doesn't ever grow out real long, it just seems to stop at a certain length, then thin out, some of the hairs hang in a little longer. Once it starts to thin out, it just looks stringy at the ends and no amount of trimming will do any good, it needs to be cut back to the length it can withstand or it will always just look stringy. I see women and men with stringy hair and wonder what they're thinking...if they think it looks good just because it's long :confused:

I've always envied those with long, luscious hair, that will never be me, so I have accepted that my hair is not meant to be any longer than shoulder length. Right now, with health issues I'm keeping it at chin length, hopefully it can withstand growing out a bit longer in the future.

The most important thing for us to do with our hair is to make it look its best, no matter the length or color. What suits us better may not be the same as what we desire. When people describe us to others, they usually mention hair first. Ex. does a person want to be known as the woman with stringy brown hair or the warm brown cute bouncy bob?

I know that many people have stated that they like their hair long because its more versatile but I think this long bob is even more so. I can blow it dry straight or with a bit of curl, I can still clip it back off my face, and last night I just scrunched it a bit and let it dry and I had all kinds of curl and waves that the weight of it had dragged out.

A question. Can anyone recommend a product to enhance that curl and add a bit of shine to it? Everything I have is to achieve sleek and straight.

I know that many people have stated that they like their hair long because its more versatile but I think this long bob is even more so. I can blow it dry straight or with a bit of curl, I can still clip it back off my face, and last night I just scrunched it a bit and let it dry and I had all kinds of curl and waves that the weight of it had dragged out.

A question. Can anyone recommend a product to enhance that curl and add a bit of shine to it? Everything I have is to achieve sleek and straight.

If you have a CVS nearby, the Salma Hayek Curl Creme is really nice. I have wavy hair and my husband likes the curly look, so it helps.

Beth

Archived