Question for Smokers -NOT about policy

elektrawmn

Yeah, I know smoking is a touchy subject on here.

First time on Norwegian and wanted to know if they had cigarettes available for consumption while onboard.

Other cruiselines I've been able to get a great price on a carton and have been able to open the carton on the ship and smoke them. Does NCL let you do the same or do they hold purchases until Debarkation?

Thanks!

(and I really don't need comments from others disagreeing with being able to smoke on the ship :rolleyes:)

Last year on the Dawn you could purchase individual packs at the bars.

Limited variety.

Thankfully, I have given the habit up and can save $5.00-6.00 a day for my next cruise.

The carton boxes were around $100+ for five cartons IIRC.

They are substantially cheaper on board than here in the US. Some ports you can find a few bucks cheaper a carton also.

Not all brands but the major brands i.e. I smoke Mlbo Gold 100's and they only sell Gold regulars but they don't sell the silvers. They do taste different as they are typically made in the South somewhere i.e. Puerto Rico and other places.

I'm not a smoker. But My Guy is, and I am taking him on his first NCL cruise. Are you saying that smokes are CHEAPER on the ship than generally in US stores? What about in ports? (Nassau)

Thanks

MUCH cheaper... 5 cartons for $131 That's $26.20 a carton. Half the price of a carton here in GA

Cigarettes were $4.75 at the bar for a single pack and $131.96 for a 5 carton box in the shop last week on the Dawn. Buy em and smoke em onboard.

I'm assuming if you open 1 of the cartons for consumption onboard you only have to declare the 4 unopened ones?

Massive saving to buy onboard for us Brits. I smoke a fairly cheap brand and pay roughly $100 for what you guys call a carton. As soon as the shop is open I'm in there as I bring only enough with me to last max 2 days.

Smoking,drinking and owning a car are all frighteningly expensive in the UK.

Massive saving to buy onboard for us Brits. I smoke a fairly cheap brand and pay roughly $100 for what you guys call a carton. As soon as the shop is open I'm in there as I bring only enough with me to last max 2 days.

Smoking,drinking and owning a car are all frighteningly expensive in the UK.

Here in Western Canada we pay almost $13.00 a pack of 25 and over $100 a carton.............so even regular price in the US seems cheap to us.

I'm assuming if you open 1 of the cartons for consumption onboard you only have to declare the 4 unopened ones?

What you declare has nothing to do with opened or not. We could then open all 5 cartons and have no requirement to declare any. By law you are allowed 200 cigarettes. I always just list all cigarettes on my customs form. Only once in 40 cruises did they ask me to pay the duty and it was $12.46 in 4 cartons. General rule for customs is if the duty is not more then $50 it is not worth the time and paperwork to collect it.

Here in Western Canada we pay almost $13.00 a pack of 25 and over $100 a carton.............so even regular price in the US seems cheap to us.

When I was in Norway a coupe of years ago I left my $2.60 a pack onboard. Rather then tender back I ended up paying over $18 for a pack of 20 :eek:

Makes no difference opened or unopened. Technically, it is 200 cigs PER PERSON. My DW does not smoke so she "carries 200" also.

To declare or not declare is up to you :rolleyes:.

Just got back from cruise on the 14th on NCL SUN....

In St. Thomas, you can get 5 cartons for $124.95......St. Maarten they were only $22.00 a carton though.

as far as customs, you can bring back 5 cartons per person BUT at least 4 have to be purchased in St. Thomas.

Archived