when tipping becomes annoying

juanarcin

I wish there was no line for additional gratuities on bar bills on cruise ships.

I so agreeeeeeee. Coming from two counties where there is no tipping custom, I have no problem with the cruise tip subsidizing system.

But being aware that the 15% tip was already charged on my docket I found it so annoying to see the line for extra tip.

To me it came over when the server hands me the receipt as a hand that begs and made me feel very uncomfortable.

Another annoying thing that happened was when I ordered a Bayleys to go with my coffee after my meal in the MDR and gave my cruisecard to the server. He then proceeded to say that there would be a charge.

Yes, of course I was on a non-alcoholic drink package.. DUH!

My Mum and me were both on this package and did not drink wine with our meals just because we do not like drinking wine, but obviously the drink waiter thought us cheapskates:eek:

I have never been to England so I can't comment on prices of meals in England but I found Spain very reasonable and Prices in Hungary and Austria were decent as well. We had no better or worse service on average then when we've dined out in North America either.

I was in Spain last spring, and couldn't be more put out with the bland food and outrageous prices. Just goes to show how there are different perspectives. I was sooo happy to get back to the US and tip crazy for appreciation.

Back to the OP, yes, I resent hovering people expecting tips when for service I don't need or want. But generally, I tip generously for service provided. On cruises, it's a no brainer for the hard working people who are a big part of the cruise experience.

I think I just fell in love a little bit. You are exactly right when it comes to double standards. I too, noticed prices overall for services were much higher for the same level in both Australia and Japan. Especially eating out( although I will say I did appreciate the Aussie custom of BYOB with no corkage fee)

when a steak dinner at Outback steakhouse in Yokohama costs me the equivalent of $100 US and the exact same meal in Baltimore is half that, that says something. what is says, exactly, well I leave that to the people who apparently feel that the US is the New Evil Empire and nothing we do is civilized or honorable.

you know, the same ones that bitch that we don't do enough for earthquake victims in Haiti or Tsunami victims in Japan.

Well stated. It is amazing that so many people do not understand that customers pay all of the bills and all of the salaries.

I have frieends and relatives on the east coast who simply could not find a way to spend all of the foreign aid sent their way after hurricane Sandy hit.

Not.

Well stated. It is amazing that so many people do not understand that customers pay all of the bills and all of the salaries.

I have frieends and relatives on the east coast who simply could not find a way to spend all of the foreign aid sent their way after hurricane Sandy hit.

Not.

I hope your friends and relatives on the east coast are thanking the Canadian utility workers who are restoring their power.

To the OP questions

I thought I had seen it all until I went to a Calif. based Mexican food drive through and they had taped a "tips" cup to the wall right by the pick up window! LOL

I don't mind tipping the pizza guy/girl since they don't get any gas money or money for the wear and tear on their vehicle. My son did that job for a bit and some nights he barely broke even!

I only tip when service has exceeded expectations - but I live in a culture who do not tip everyone.

If you are in the US, you should honor the tipping customs here. Saying you tip as you would at home when traveling is insulting to the customs of the country you are visiting. How would you feel if I drove on the right side of the road in your country and used the excuse that I live in a culture that does not drive on the left side of the road, so I shouldn't have to do it when I visit your country. :D

A traveler with good manners will follow the customs of the country they are visiting and not insist that they continue to use the customs of their own country during their visit.

As the father of two brides I paid for two wedding receptions at somewhat rather upscale hotels. Each reception had a hosted bar for which I paid an additional 20% in gratuities. At the first wedding, I was somewhat disturbed to see tip jars on the bars and felt that it was insulting to our guests. I asked the individual who was managing the reception to have them removed and it was accomplished. When the second reception was planned I broke my wife's rule of, "Keep your mouth shut and don't make any suggestions" by insuring in advance that there would be no tip jars.

One thing that bugs me about tipping is that people justify tipping after as if to hold their server to account, and that without doing that they could Hebert be sure of good service.

Firstly, there is such a thing as taking pride in your work, with or without tips. A lot of the people on cruise ships enjoy what they do and like giving good service.

Second, there are plenty of people who are not tipped for what they do. So it makes the above argument moot.

And third, this flies in the face of non-tipping cultures or pre-paid gratuities where you get good service anyway.

I just think these people are overly cynical and miserly.

If you are in the US, you should honor the tipping customs here. Saying you tip as you would at home when traveling is insulting to the customs of the country you are visiting. How would you feel if I drove on the right side of the road in your country and used the excuse that I live in a culture that does not drive on the left side of the road, so I shouldn't have to do it when I visit your country. :D

A traveler with good manners will follow the customs of the country they are visiting and not insist that they continue to use the customs of their own country during their visit.

And you are insulting - probably why I will not go to the States - sorry I spoke up!

And you are insulting - probably why I will not go to the States - sorry I spoke up!

While his driving scenario might be extreme his point is valid on when you travel to respect the country's customs. I can't tell you how many Aussies berated me for saying that when we stayed in Sydney we were told by our travel agent that tips were already paid for delivering our luggage to our room so we assumed we needed to tip when we left as well. We were presented credit card slips that had a spot to fill in for tips when we went out to eat. I was flat out told I was lying by your fellow countrymen and my experience. FINALLY someone came on and said, yes, it's true there is sometimes a spot on the slip, but we never fill it in. Well, I'm sorry, but for us silly guys that add the tip in the US and we go to Australia and see the exact same form, then yes, we add the tip because we think it's expected. Why, oh why, is the form set up that way if it is not expected or wanted?

Sorry you are offended with others points of view. I have to tell you with the tongue lashing I got for saying the above, let alone leaving an actual tip, I was glad I had already been to your country because it certainly gave me thought about every going again. How dare I tip and me personally destroy your entire economy! Yup, the $20 I gave to our tour guide and the $5 I gave to the waiter is going to be your country's undoing. It's my fault, I admit it.

Now you see how offensive comments can be coming from your side as well.

Why is the space there for tip? Because people like to tip anyway for above and beyond service. We don't have an expectation for tipping, it's more like icing on the cake.

I can remember the few times I have tipped. The last was a cab driver months back who helped us lift some heavy boxes from his van to the garage.

We do pay our service staff decent wages so they are not dependant on tips, anything else they get is extra for good service. Don't be such a grouch.

Why is the space there for tip? Because people like to tip anyway for above and beyond service. We don't have an expectation for tipping, it's more like icing on the cake.

I can remember the few times I have tipped. The last was a cab driver months back who helped us lift some heavy boxes from his van to the garage.

We do pay our service staff decent wages so they are not dependant on tips, anything else they get is extra for good service. Don't be such a grouch.

Well then you can see how we would get confused. First Aussie's insist they don't tip, it's not their culture. NOW, you are telling me you LIKE to tip as well. Then you (in general you-not you personally) put the line there that says tip but say - it's not expected. Maybe if we weren't getting mixed signals we'd know what IS expected so we won't be complained about for tipping on the line provided for the expectation of doing the right thing.

Again, the hostility that was directed at me when I commented on this on the Australia board after we returned made me glad I had already been there because it has given me serious doubts of ever going back again. I had about 35 nasty comments about the spot on the receipt before a local Sydney guy came on said "come on guys, you know the line is there".

I'm not being a grouch. I just get very tired of hearing we don't tip here, it's your fault that we now do, but I do when it's great service. You Aussies are the ones that seems to be sensitive. First someone is rude for expressing this and now I'm a grouch. Why? Because we've explained that when we travel we try to follow the guidelines of that country and get darned tired of hearing what horrible people we are when we DO tip because there is a line on the receipt to do so. Soapboxes get old.

So, advice on following the customs of the country you are visiting and not your own is "insulting"? If that is the way you honestly feel, then I would prefer you not visit my country. We have enough resident dissidents here already without inviting visitors who complain about our way of life. Stay home with your like minded brethren.

Well then you can see how we would get confused. First Aussie's insist they don't tip, it's not their culture. NOW, you are telling me you LIKE to tip as well. Then you (in general you-not you personally) put the line there that says tip but say - it's not expected. Maybe if we weren't getting mixed signals we'd know what IS expected so we won't be complained about for tipping on the line provided for the expectation of doing the right thing.

Again, the hostility that was directed at me when I commented on this on the Australia board after we returned made me glad I had already been there because it has given me serious doubts of ever going back again. I had about 35 nasty comments about the spot on the receipt before a local Sydney guy came on said "come on guys, you know the line is there".

I'm not being a grouch. I just get very tired of hearing we don't tip here, it's your fault that we now do, but I do when it's great service. You Aussies are the ones that seems to be sensitive. First someone is rude for expressing this and now I'm a grouch. Why? Because we've explained that when we travel we try to follow the guidelines of that country and get darned tired of hearing what horrible people we are when we DO tip because there is a line on the receipt to do so. Soapboxes get old.

The line on the docket for a tip is not meant to make you feel ibligayed in giving a tip. It is there for people who WISH to tip for exceptional service. You are not expected or even obligated to put anything on that slip at all. Though they would like it you did.

I know the US and other places have a tipping culture, where it is expected for you to tip those in the service profession. And that's becausr their wage us expected to be supplemented with tips. We actually pay our service a decent living wage, so there is no need to tip the server because they're making a pittance.

We do tip, very very occasionally. And it's more the exception than the rule. That line on the restaurant receipt doesn't happen everywhere.

Let me start by saying i am 100% on board with the tipping system on cruise ships and love prepaying to have no worries at the end of the cruise. Makes me wonder why the rest of the world doesn't work the same way! In honor of good tipping systems I want to ask all my fellow cc members: When do you hate tipping?

Not necessarily on the ship but in general. Some tips are very well deserved (restaurants, valet, carwash's etc) but but others just feel forced on you for a service you dont want or need. I'll go first.

Bathroom attendants. I hate it! I went to the movies last weekend and there was a bathroom attendant there to hand me a paper towel to dry my hands and then signaled to his tip jar! Not only can I get my own paper towels, but I actually dont want someone standing next to me while I wash my hands, and now I have to give him money for doing this! lol

Anything like this annoy you?

This was the question I answered and I wasn't getting into any discussion about tipping - only stated when I tip. I will not be reading this post anymore because there are too many aggressive people on this post.

Archived