when tipping becomes annoying

juanarcin

Let me start by saying i am 100% on board with the tipping system on cruise ships and love prepaying to have no worries at the end of the cruise. Makes me wonder why the rest of the world doesn't work the same way! In honor of good tipping systems I want to ask all my fellow cc members: When do you hate tipping?

Not necessarily on the ship but in general. Some tips are very well deserved (restaurants, valet, carwash's etc) but but others just feel forced on you for a service you dont want or need. I'll go first.

Bathroom attendants. I hate it! I went to the movies last weekend and there was a bathroom attendant there to hand me a paper towel to dry my hands and then signaled to his tip jar! Not only can I get my own paper towels, but I actually dont want someone standing next to me while I wash my hands, and now I have to give him money for doing this! lol

Anything like this annoy you?

Actually, there are times when I want to tip a bathroom attendant. Not the person who hands me a paper towel (I'm not sure I ever encountered this in the States?) but the cleaner. Gosh, what a job. I would love to slip the cleaner a dollar or two when I see them in busy places like airports and train stations. Our lives could be really miserable if they weren't around. So in lieu of tips, (I don't want to be patronizing if it's not the custom) I give them a big smile and say thank you.

Tip jars annoy me. In coffee shops, doughnut shops, anyplace with a counter. Or anyplace that hangs up a big sign saying "tips are appreciated". Sort of takes the spirit out of it.

Bathroom attendants are actually the ones I don't mind tipping at all. Must be a horrendous job to clean toilets all day and I prefer a clean bathroom over an unattended dirty one.

Other than that, I don't like tipping in situations where I'm expected to pay the salaries of the employees, e.g. when visiting the US having to pay 15 - 20% of the bill to the waiter just for bringing out my plate. When we were recently in New York, our bill at a steak house was 250 USD, so we had to pay the waiter 40 USD just to bring out our plates and a few drinks. For that price, I would have preferred to get them in the kitchen myself!

I also don't like tipping for little things that provide no value, e.g. porters trying to roll my cary-on to my room.

I swore I'd never post on a tipping thread again. :rolleyes::D

It's the north American system that's the cause of all the bother.:p

"Tips" aka (ungrammatically incorrect) "gratuities" are the bread-and-butter for US restaurant staff & most cruise ship staff.

Customers who do not tip, or cancel auto-tips, are depriving the staff of their wages.

Elsewhere in the world, service staff are paid a living if not generous wage - in EU countries it's the law - and tips earned are the jam to go on the bread-and-butter.

Thus wages are included in the price of the purchase, and gratuities depend very much on the standard of service. To me, that's so simple and so fair - to both server & customer.

Yes, there's exceptions. Because of the US influence, most european cruise ships have the same auto-tip system - P&O have recently brought it in for cabin & dining staff, though still no service charge on drinks etc.

And yes, in the UK & other parts of europe there's restaurants, mainly in touristy areas, who add a service charge. But again, sad to say, that's down to the influence of US tourists.

Boy, you've got a lot to answer for :D

I see so many questions on CC from worried American cousins about how much they should tip guides, drivers, servers, etc in europe & elsewhere.

Easy - tip them whatever you think they are worth. Including nothing at all.

I used to drive coach tours for Brits. If they were generous, I felt a glow of pride that I'd helped ensure they had an enjoyable time. If they were mean, that too reflected on me - clearly I wasn't on form & needed to pull my socks up.

And that's the way it should be.

JB :)

Bathroom attendants are actually the ones I don't mind tipping at all. Must be a horrendous job to clean toilets all day and I prefer a clean bathroom over an unattended dirty one.

Other than that, I don't like tipping in situations where I'm expected to pay the salaries of the employees, e.g. when visiting the US having to pay 15 - 20% of the bill to the waiter just for bringing out my plate. When we were recently in New York, our bill at a steak house was 250 USD, so we had to pay the waiter 40 USD just to bring out our plates and a few drinks. For that price, I would have preferred to get them in the kitchen myself!

I also don't like tipping for little things that provide no value, e.g. porters trying to roll my cary-on to my room.

I just returned from three weeks in Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Greece and Turkey. My observation is that dining in all of these countries is noticeably more expensive than a comparable meal in the US. My guess is that when the staff is paid a higher wage (which negates the need to tip) dining prices have to be higher. When you factor in the customary 15% tip in the US, the cost is similar, but still lower, than in Europe. Paying the tips in the US brings the cost closer to that in Europe. One way or another, the person dining pays the price. A gracious visitor will accept the cultural differences without complaining about it. That's what I do when I travel. If I am in your country, I follow the cultural conventions there without feeling annoyed. If all countries were the same, why bother traveling?

This is the reason I have a difficult time accepting European's incessant complaints about how tipping works in the US. To me you are exhibiting poor manners when you visit my country and complain about how we do things here, much like you would consider me an "Ugly American" if I complained about your cultural differences being inadequate compared to that in my country.

I just returned from three weeks in Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Greece and Turkey. My observation is that food in all of these countries is noticeably more expensive that a comparable meal in the US. My guess is that when the staff is paid a higher wage (which negates the need to tip) dining prices have to be higher. When you factor in the customary 15% tip in the US, the cost is still lower than in Europe. Paying the tips in the US brings the cost closer to that in Europe. One way or another, the person dining pays the price. A gracious visitor will accept the cultural differences without complaining about it. That's what I do when I travel. I am in your country, so I follow the cultural conventions there without feeling annoyed. If all countries were the same, why bother traveling?

This is the reason I have a difficult time accepting European's incessant complaints about how tipping works in the US.

I understand that somone has to pay the wages, whether it's factored into the price of the service (which is what i prefer) or whether customers are expected to pay the salaries of the employees through tips. I just really like to see the final price on the the menue rather than having see this tax and that service charge added or being expected to do the math to calculate the appropriate amount.

Ot course I'm sensitive of the different customs and compensation schemes, that's why I pay, but I'ts my business how I feel about it.

I understand that somone has to pay the wages, whether it's factored into the price of the service (which is what i prefer) or whether customers are expected to pay the salaries of the employees through tips. I just really like to see the final price on the the menue rather than having see this tax and that service charge added or being expected to do the math to calculate the appropriate amount.

Ot course I'm sensitive of the different customs and compensation schemes, that's why I pay, but I'ts my business how I feel about it.

We give you the flexibility to pay what you think the service is worth by allowing you to add the amount you feel is fair for that service. In your country the cost is added to the price and I have no recourse if the service is sub-standard, which unfortunately, I have experienced on occasion (much like it can occasionally be experienced in the US as well). I will have to pay for poor service whether I want to or not.

We give you the flexibility to pay what you think the service is worth by allowing you to add the amount you feel is fair for that service. In your country the cost is added to the price and I have no recourse if the service is sub-standard, which unfortunately, I have experienced on occasion (much like it can occasionally be experienced in the US as well). I will have to pay for poor service whether I want to or not.

I guess we all like what we're used to and what seems natural to us.

Dad was a cabbie and Mom was a waitress but rather than being overgenerous with tips they taught the value and the difference between good service and bad. Now if the service is bad - slow, no checking to see if the food is okay, no water top ups etc., then sorry, no tip for you. On a recent cruise we had terrible waiters in the MDR and since we could not pull our tip for that night, we simply had a chat with the food service manager.

BTW - tip jars and severs who remind you to tip prior to the actual service also get no money from me.

This is the reason I have a difficult time accepting European's incessant complaints about how tipping works in the US. To me you are exhibiting poor manners when you visit my country and complain about how we do things here, much like you would consider me an "Ugly American" if I complained about your cultural differences being inadequate compared to that in my country.

I think I just fell in love a little bit. You are exactly right when it comes to double standards. I too, noticed prices overall for services were much higher for the same level in both Australia and Japan. Especially eating out( although I will say I did appreciate the Aussie custom of BYOB with no corkage fee)

when a steak dinner at Outback steakhouse in Yokohama costs me the equivalent of $100 US and the exact same meal in Baltimore is half that, that says something. what is says, exactly, well I leave that to the people who apparently feel that the US is the New Evil Empire and nothing we do is civilized or honorable.

you know, the same ones that bitch that we don't do enough for earthquake victims in Haiti or Tsunami victims in Japan.

I guess we all like what we're used to and what seems natural to us.

We certainly agree on this. My wife and I travel with another couple. He is absolutely set on his ways. As an example, although most people dine after 9:00pm in Spain, he expects to be seated at the table no later than 6:00pm, just like in his home. And he expects to see similar items on the menu as at his favorite restaurant at home.

That is what he is used to, and that is what he expects and wants. Traveling with him and his set ways is an adventure of itself. I constantly have to push him beyond his comfort zone, which I do so gladly since I enjoy the challenge of opening his mind and body to new and exciting experiences. This makes me appreciate the different cultural aspects of the countries we visit together even more. :D

We certainly agree on this. My wife and I travel with another couple. He is absolutely set on his ways. As an example, although most people dine after 9:00pm in Spain, he expects to be seated at the table no later than 6:00pm, just like in his home. And he expects to see similar items on the menu as at his favorite restaurant at home.

That is what he is used to, and that is what he expects and wants. Traveling with him and his set ways is an adventure of itself. I constantly have to push him beyond his comfort zone, which I do so gladly since I enjoy the challenge of opening his mind and body to new and exciting experiences. This makes me appreciate the different cultural aspects of the countries we visit together even more. :D

I can understand that. :D We try to go with the flow an would never openly complain about things that are done differently.

I think I just fell in love a little bit. You are exactly right when it comes to double standards. I too, noticed prices overall for services were much higher for the same level in both Australia and Japan. Especially eating out( although I will say I did appreciate the Aussie custom of BYOB with no corkage fee)

when a steak dinner at Outback steakhouse in Yokohama costs me the equivalent of $100 US and the exact same meal in Baltimore is half that, that says something. what is says, exactly, well I leave that to the people who apparently feel that the US is the New Evil Empire and nothing we do is civilized or honorable.

you know, the same ones that bitch that we don't do enough for earthquake victims in Haiti or Tsunami victims in Japan.

+1 Well said.

I know what you mean. How about the restaurants where they have a completely different person taking the food out to your table?:)

We don't mind tipping when it's appropriate. I do think the whole tipping system is getting out of control when you can't even go through a drive-thru without seeing a tip jar. (Our Starbucks & we have a frozen yogurt place that has a tip jar sitting just outside the window). However, I don't base my tip based on that person's occupation and feel pressure to pay extra for their livelihood. I base it on the service I receive.

Well, getting back to the OP's original question of when does it bug you to have to tip someone -- hands-down, the situation that annoys me the most is when:

-- you are in a place where you have no parking options, except valet;

-- you are being charged an arm and a leg for this mandatory valet parking;

-- and then, you are expected to tip the pimply-faced kid who just squealed your tires around the parking garage that you were required to pay for valet parking in! :eek:

I just returned from three weeks in Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Greece and Turkey. My observation is that dining in all of these countries is noticeably more expensive than a comparable meal in the US. My guess is that when the staff is paid a higher wage (which negates the need to tip) dining prices have to be higher. When you factor in the customary 15% tip in the US, the cost is similar, but still lower, than in Europe. Paying the tips in the US brings the cost closer to that in Europe. One way or another, the person dining pays the price. A gracious visitor will accept the cultural differences without complaining about it. That's what I do when I travel. If I am in your country, I follow the cultural conventions there without feeling annoyed. If all countries were the same, why bother traveling?

I am English and I absolutely agree with what you say. Eating out is so much more expensive in Europe and decent service is very patchy.

When you think about it, I guess it's kind of just an added percentage "service charge" and not really a tip. If two of us ate out and I had something quite minimal and the price for that plate was $12.95, and you had something a little more substantial and the plate was $24.95, the tip you leave should be double the tip I leave, although the waitstaff had to exert he exact same amount of time and labor to serve both. In some European countries you don't tip, but it's built into a higher price or in some places, there is just an automatically added "service" charge. NO matter how it's done, just consider it part of the cost of dining out.

I wish there was no line for additional gratuities on bar bills on cruise ships. Many people state they get better service when tipping additional, I don't find that happens. Some people don't realize they have already given 15% and the bar server certainly isn't going to point it out to you. My sister and her husband tip extra when we're with them, but we don't...I see no difference in the service whatsoever.

I feel that 15% is plenty for drink service, we order a round of drinks, it comes to around $28, plus a $4.20 tip. The service only takes a few minutes to perform, I only wish I was making $4.20 every 5 minutes.

We alternate buying drinks onboard, our bar tab by the end of the week is probably $50-60 less than theirs just in gratuities. And yes, we have argued a bit about it, I finally just gave in and told them, go ahead and throw money at bar servers, they're more than happy to take your excess cash.

I am English and I absolutely agree with what you say. Eating out is so much more expensive in Europe and decent service is very patchy.

I have never been to England so I can't comment on prices of meals in England but I found Spain very reasonable and Prices in Hungary and Austria were decent as well. We had no better or worse service on average then when we've dined out in North America either.

People that have never worked in the service world will never understand it. I was in the restaurant buisness all my life, raised 4 kids with the help of "tips". And I was a fantastic server......if the restaurants paid the good help what they are worth, most people would not be able to eat out. And keep in mind there were many people that tipped well, but not well enought for what we had to put up with at times. :)

Archived