Norwegian Jade Med Cruise: November 3rd Athens Greece

xenagurl

Norwegian Jade Med Cruise: November 3rd Athens Greece

Full write up and many more photos here:

http://travelxena.com/norwegian-jade-mediterranean-cruise-athens-greece/

Athens, Greece. You can visit over and over again but seeing the main sights are still breathtaking. I say this yet for 2 years in a row when I've gone the only place I've hit is the Acropolis which houses the Parthenon and the Temple of Athena and I haven't revisited the places my mother and I went a few ago. I shouldn't say "only" as this landmark is iconic Athens, but the thing is I usually plan to see more but for about 3 hours every night on the Jade I find myself dancing, so by the evening before I'd decided to wake up when I wake up catch the HoHo bus when I was ready to leave.

You know what they say about assuming. Well I assumed we'd be at the exact same terminal in the port as the one that we were at last year. So I got off of the ship. Looked around and realized that this was no where near the same place as last time. Asked where I should go, the young woman pointed in the direction of what I thought might be an exit. So I walked, and walked and walked and about 1/4 mile later realized that no, indeed if there was an exit there it wasn't visible. So I turned around walked back and saw...a shuttle bus! We were at Terminal B in Piraeus and the side that I'd been previously acquainted with was Terminal A.........

You know what they say about assuming. Well I assumed we'd be at the exact same terminal in the port as the one that we were at last year. So I got off of the ship. Looked around and realized that this was no where near the same place as last time. Asked where I should go, the young woman pointed in the direction of what I thought might be an exit. So I walked, and walked and walked and about 1/4 mile later realized that no, indeed if there was an exit there it wasn't visible. So I turned around walked back and saw...a shuttle bus! We were at Terminal B in Piraeus and the side that I'd been previously acquainted with was Terminal A."...[url="http://travelxena.com/norwegian-jade-mediterranean-cruise-athens-greece/'>more here

8189801326_c9f54b3673_z.jpg

8189801608_f59f1903f9_z.jpg

8188721815_065b1e6ffa_z.jpg

8189801736_0d8686d9b2_z.jpg

8188722221_253ff7858b_z.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Great pictures! Hope to see more:D

Thank you. I forgot to add more photos! There are more in the link on the first post but I'll add more here. I also have to start a thread about Ephesus, but I've not done anything with those photos as yet!

Awesome photo's thanks for posting.

Thanks for checking it out :)

Great pictures Xenagurl! I'm extremely interested in your trip as we are going on the Jade in April to Greece as well and this will be our first time there. I'm guessing by your blog that you were docked in Piraeus and not where you had previously been docked - did you take a shuttle to the HO HO bus or did you walk? You mentioned a little side trip of 1/4 mile that didn't take you anywhere. We will be docking in Piraeus and I was just curious so we can be prepared.

Thanks for sharing!

Welcome. :D

Great pictures Xenagurl! I'm extremely interested in your trip as we are going on the Jade in April to Greece as well and this will be our first time there. I'm guessing by your blog that you were docked in Piraeus and not where you had previously been docked - did you take a shuttle to the HO HO bus or did you walk? You mentioned a little side trip of 1/4 mile that didn't take you anywhere. We will be docking in Piraeus and I was just curious so we can be prepared.

Thank you. We were docked near terminal B on the trip this past November compared to being at Terminal A on my trip in November 2011. I wound up taking the shuttle over to terminal A and from there took the HoHo bus (City Sightseeing Tours Red Bus) that has a red and blue line (and possibly a small green line, I can't remember) which will take you to or close to nearly anywhere you want to go in Athens. HTH

If you have any more questions, I'm happy to answer them. I don't always see the posts here right away so feel free to email me as well.

I love the Greek kitty in your photo! My kids would have swiped it and smuggled it back onto the cruise ship.

I will have to remember that when we are there (not until summer 2014).

Do you recall there being a lot of stray kitties in Greece, and also in Turkey?

I love the Greek kitty in your photo! My kids would have swiped it and smuggled it back onto the cruise ship.

I will have to remember that when we are there (not until summer 2014).

Do you recall there being a lot of stray kitties in Greece, and also in Turkey?

The Jade Cruise Director Gary Glading used to be able to do this once upon a time. He actually runs an animal shelter now. A really nice man.

It was so tempting, it would have been nice to take them home, the ship could have been Noah's Ark! haha

I noticed more dogs in Greece than cats, but that might depend on where you are. In Ephesus there were tons, and I do mean tons of cats. In Cairo, Egypt you find both stray dogs and cats, in Rome there were more cats.

The Turks believe that the soul of Ataturk is in cats.. Or at least one... When we lived there no one would kill a cat.. Yes shoo them away but no killing.. Dogs were a danger because they roamed in packs... Great photos.. Every time I go to the London Museum I sit and visualize those marbles back in Greece.

• 4 months later...
The Turks believe that the soul of Ataturk is in cats.. Or at least one... When we lived there no one would kill a cat.. Yes shoo them away but no killing.. Dogs were a danger because they roamed in packs... Great photos.. Every time I go to the London Museum I sit and visualize those marbles back in Greece.

Interesting history. Thanks for sharing!

Archived