Dress Shorts in Dining Room

mitchden

My golf shorts are perfect for Carnival MDR. You must be confusing it with an upscale restaurant. Perhaps I should wear a tux for the waitstaff shaking their money makers at me doing LO LO LO. If my shorts, pressed of course, hinder your meal, then maybe you need better company. I enjoy looking at my wife and have no idea what anyone else has on. Sometimes she looks so good, in her shorts, I don't even know there are others in the room.

My golf shorts are perfect for Carnival MDR. You must be confusing it with an upscale restaurant. Perhaps I should wear a tux for the waitstaff shaking their money makers at me doing LO LO LO. If my shorts, pressed of course, hinder your meal, then maybe you need better company. I enjoy looking at my wife and have no idea what anyone else has on. Sometimes she looks so good, in her shorts, I don't even know there are others in the room.

"Like". Very nice! My DH would also choose golf b4 cruising :)

My hubby wears shorts every night to the MDR, except on Elegant night, then he will wear pants and a collared shirt.

For those who feel this is only a Carnival problem, I can honestly tell you that when we sailed on Disney we saw more shorts in the dining room than I have ever seen on any other cruiseline I have ever sailed on.

I would rather see a person wearing nice shorts/top than to have to look at some of these people who think wearing skin tight fabrics over their fluffy bodies makes them look good. Now that will make you lose your appetite!!!

I agree. If you want to wear shorts to dinner, maybe you ought to consider an all inclusive resort vacation instead of a cruise.

A cruise is about certain experiences, one of which is people looking decent at dinner. Formal nights are one thing, but even non formal nights require a collared shirt and slacks IMO.

I don't need to be looking at your hairy legs while I'm at dinner.

You do know the legs are under the table don't you?

Hair on a man's legs is as normal as the hair on his head. Should he wear a hat too? :confused:

I guess I would agree that men wearing shorts is a minority, but probably a 20-30%+ minority on the last 3 cruises I've been on. Those were all 7-8 nights out of warm weather ports (Canaveral, Miami, Port Everglades), so the folks who sail from NY, Baltimore, etc. may have a different experience.

For my money unless you're the type to be very strongly influenced by peer pressure, wear what you feel comfortable in (so long as you’re within the guidelines) and you’re not going to look out of place.

I know you would prefer my shorts than the spandex on the Destiny 3 weeks ago. I didn't know spandex was still around. There was a herd of zebra going thru the Lido one night.:eek:

LOL......I told my husband we needed to find out what kind of material some of those outfits were made of and buy stock in it, because that was some kind of "space-aged" material to hold all of that flesh in without splitting.

I have never seen anything like it.......:eek:

I agree. If you want to wear shorts to dinner, maybe you ought to consider an all inclusive resort vacation instead of a cruise.

A cruise is about certain experiences, one of which is people looking decent at dinner. Formal nights are one thing, but even non formal nights require a collared shirt and slacks IMO.

I want to make sure I am writing down all this snobbery correctly.

Shorts in the dining room ruins your "experience", got it.

How about waiters dancing on tables? That is still elegant, right?

What about this? This was on elegant night, with an officer....

Maybe I am just weird, but I dont care what other people wear. I am too busy wrangling my twins, trying to have some adult conversation with my wife and table mates, and chatting with the crew to be looking around to grade the dressing habits of others. YMMV.

I want to make sure I am writing down all this snobbery correctly.

Shorts in the dining room ruins your "experience", got it.

How about waiters dancing on tables? That is still elegant, right?

What about this? This was on elegant night, with an officer....

Maybe I am just weird, but I dont care what other people wear. I am too busy wrangling my twins, trying to have some adult conversation with my wife and table mates, and chatting with the crew to be looking around to grade the dressing habits of others. YMMV.

Certain things always stand out.

Like that one guy at work that wore the short sleeve dress shirt.

Twindaddy, I agree with you. It never fails to amaze me at the number of people who really worry about what other people wear. I've seen everything from a fluffy lady in a long dress complete with tiara to an elderly gentleman who was in overalls EVERY time I saw him (including on the tender to the private island!). Neither of them detracted in any way from my enjoyment of the cruise. Like others have commented, I've seen folks in stuff that would qualify for "What Not to Wear," and possibly others have said the same about me! I'm too busy enjoying my meal and my companions, so I don't look at anyone's feet either; I don't care if anyone has on flip-flops. I'm happy to be with my husband and children, and I'm usually enjoying my tablemates. I guess I would notice if someone was dirty or smelly, but that has never happened on any cruise. If my husband and I notice someone dressed differently, we might whisper and wink at each other, but it certainly wouldn't make me agitated! Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

Certain things always stand out.

Like that one guy at work that wore the short sleeve dress shirt.

I would re-write your first sentence like this:

Certain things always stand out to some people.

Absent any crazy example, like someone dressing like a banana or wearing a sombrero to the MDR, I really dont notice. And if I do, I dont care. But that is me, to each their own. Carnival very easily could just say "no shorts"

I do have a problem with people passing judgement about how shorts ruin the atmosphere....on a ship where waiters dance on table

I just dont understand the furor about shorts. I can understand people being bothered with tank tops or baseball caps. Doesnt bother me, but I get it.

Twindaddy, I agree with you. It never fails to amaze me at the number of people who really worry about what other people wear. I've seen everything from a fluffy lady in a long dress complete with tiara to an elderly gentleman who was in overalls EVERY time I saw him (including on the tender to the private island!). Neither of them detracted in any way from my enjoyment of the cruise. Like others have commented, I've seen folks in stuff that would qualify for "What Not to Wear," and possibly others have said the same about me! I'm too busy enjoying my meal and my companions, so I don't look at anyone's feet either; I don't care if anyone has on flip-flops. I'm happy to be with my husband and children, and I'm usually enjoying my tablemates. I guess I would notice if someone was dirty or smelly, but that has never happened on any cruise. If my husband and I notice someone dressed differently, we might whisper and wink at each other, but it certainly wouldn't make me agitated! Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

Exactly. Can we sit together on our next cruise?

Exactly where do you get that from?

A Carnival cruise is an enjoyable VACATION. Period. I am sorry to have to tell you this, but it is true and the sooner you accept it the sooner you will not be grossed out and disappointed anymore.

Times change. I always wonder how far back people want to go when they want everything like the good ole days.

I guess I appreciate people making an effort to at least try to look decent for dinner. For me, it just makes it just that much more special. But if you all want to look the same as you look like when you went through the lunch buffet line on the Lido deck, then goody for you.

I think you're ok to wear shorts if you're 12 hrs old or under. Other than that, put on some regular pants and cover up them hairy legs

We just got off the Liberty. On most "casual nights" about half the men wore nice shorts and sandles and most of those wore a nice shirt with a collar. The rest wore slacks or jeans. On the first "elegant" night, most men wore a tie and jacket. On the second elegant night, most wore a button down shirt without a tie and without a jacket. The cruise got more casual as the week went on. I saw staff at the entrance ask a few men to remove their hats before entering and they complied.

I would re-write your first sentence like this:

Certain things always stand out to some people.

Absent any crazy example, like someone dressing like a banana or wearing a sombrero to the MDR, I really dont notice. And if I do, I dont care. But that is me, to each their own. Carnival very easily could just say "no shorts"

I do have a problem with people passing judgement about how shorts ruin the atmosphere....on a ship where waiters dance on table

I just dont understand the furor about shorts. I can understand people being bothered with tank tops or baseball caps. Doesnt bother me, but I get it.

Exactly. Can we sit together on our next cruise?

Who said "we" are bothered. I simply laugh.

My DH wore a collar shirt, dress shorts, and leather flip flops every night to dinner. No one said anything and had no dirty looks from anyone (not that it would bother him if they did). For formal night he wore dress pants, a collar shirt, and the same leather flip flops...again no one said anything or gave any dirty looks. After all this is vacation...just be presentable.

I guess I appreciate people making an effort to at least try to look decent for dinner. For me, it just makes it just that much more special. But if you all want to look the same as you look like when you went through the lunch buffet line on the Lido deck, then goody for you.

I think you're ok to wear shorts if you're 12 hrs old or under. Other than that, put on some regular pants and cover up them hairy legs

You can appreciate it all you want. It doesn't make it necessary.

You didn't say, Exactly how far back in tradition do you want to go?

Let's go back far enough that meat loaf, fried chicken and Mac cheez aren't on the menu.

Why? There are people that like that. They are not forcing you to eat it. Or does it ruin your dining experence just knowing other people may be ordering it.

I am just curious where you are when eating dinner if you could see my husband's leg that are covered by a table cloth.

If Carnival allows shorts at dinner, perhaps YOU are the one on the wrong cruise line.

Archived