Flights out of Rome

goncruzn

I'm cruising on the Navigator next year October with three additional friends. Does anyone have suggestions as to what time we should book our flight for the return home to the states? Is 12:25 too early? Because of having to go through customs, I didn't know how much of a delay there may or may not be at the port. We think we might hire a private taxi instead of trying to deal with the train in order to get back to the airport at the end of the cruise. All suggestions are welcomed!

Two years ago we flew out at about that time with no trouble. We carried our own bags off at the earliest possible time, and had made transportation arrangements, so a car was waiting to pick us up at 7:30. All went well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I think we dock around 6 am or so, but if we carry our own luggage off, I'm guessing we can be off by 7 - 8 am at the latest and thought it would be ok, but wanted to make sure. I wasn't quite sure what customs was like at the port. Thanks again!

A 12:25pm flight out of Rome is fine. We had an 11:50am flight out and had about 45-50 min. to spare. BUT, we walked off the ship at first call at 7:20am with our own luggage, and had Rome in Limo waiting to whisk us to the airport. The slowdown occurred because we were on a US carrier and had to go through Terminal 5, which is horribly slow. Took over an hour and a half to get through there, then catch the tram over to Terminal 3 and go thgough security again.

If you are going through Terminal 5 on your return, you may want to think about arranging private transport just to be sure you have plenty of time.

A 12:25pm flight out of Rome is fine. We had an 11:50am flight out and had about 45-50 min. to spare. BUT, we walked off the ship at first call at 7:20am with our own luggage, and had Rome in Limo waiting to whisk us to the airport. The slowdown occurred because we were on a US carrier and had to go through Terminal 5, which is horribly slow. Took over an hour and a half to get through there, then catch the tram over to Terminal 3 and go thgough security again.

If you are going through Terminal 5 on your return, you may want to think about arranging private transport just to be sure you have plenty of time.

We were planning on booking private transport. I've heard pretty good things about RomeinLimo so we will probably use them. We'll be sure to carry our bags so that we can be part of the first group off. I just didn't want to have to sit around the Rome airport all day waiting for a late flight. It'll be depressing enough knowing that the cruise is over!

I don't recall customs in the port at Civitavecchia (and have disembarked there a few times). I think you'll go through customs at the Airport.

The port can be chaotic when you disembark as you have to catch a port bus to the gates and people are pushing in from all directions. Once off the ship unfortunately the cruise line have no interest in helping people line up :rolleyes:

If you do as you are thinking, and have a private transfer meeting you by the ship, you shouldn't have a problem.

We were leaving rome once. We got to the airport early and got in line at customs. Waited just about an hour in line then right in front of us they brought a band group up and shut down our line for them instead of opening up one of the closed lines for them. We then had to get in another line and wait about 35 minutes. We then had to run to our plane. No matter how you plan in Itatly, always expect their will be some kind of event that you can never plan for. I say don't be in a hurry. Book your flight a week later :).

Archived