Longtime Princess Pax: First Time Youth & Teen Center "Parent"

OptionAnon

While I've been on many Princess cruises before, this is the first time I'll be going with young adults in tow. My sister will be bringing her kids, my nephews (Age 11 & 15 at sailing)...and I'm curious about a few things:

They're both very well behaved kids, but the 15 year old is more shy than the 11 year old. I almost wish the two of them could be in the same category. But, reservations said that there is no breaking with the age limit rules.

Has anyone else experienced a situation where you wanted two siblings of different ages to stay together in the same group?

If so...how did you handle it?

Also...I saw on the Princess Youth Center video that there's a "Sign Out System" including a "Pager". I like the sound of that, so we could be paged if the kids want out...but...are these pagers given to both, let's just say "guardians", or just one? Also, is there a charge for the pager, or, for that matter, the youth center itself?

OK. I've asked way more questions than I should have in one post...so...I'm done.

And, thanks in advance for any responses.

All children, including teens have to be registered to participate in the youth program. Obviously, you know there are separate clubs for different age groups (3-7, 8-12, 13-17). When you go register the children, you should ask to speak to the Youth Activities Manager about wanting to put both children together.

The youth staff and the manager will probably recommend that both of them try participating in their own age group for the first night, just to see how it goes & how the children respond to it. They might end up meeting people their own age & have fun. Every Youth Activities Manager will be different. Some may allow them to be grouped together with their siblings & some may not. However, if they do allow the children to be together, they will most likely move your 15 year old nephew down an age group & he will participate with the other 8-12 year old as opposed to moving your 11 year old nephew up with the teens. Like I said though, every manager is different so definitely try to talk to the manager as soon as your board.

For the Shockwaves group, (children 8-12) families or guardians can choose to allow their children to sign themselves in and out during the program's opening hours. This allows them to go to the centre if there's an activity they want to do or if they're bored & don't want to participate, the children can choose to leave. However, if you choose not to allow them to sign themselves in or out, you or another guardian will have to drop them off & pick them up every time the club open & closes, along with a piece of government ID.

The pagers are likely used for guardians and family members with children in the Pelicans group (children 3-7). Only one pager is given to a family member of a child or siblings. However, if there are extras, the staff could make an exception & give another. These pagers are handed out every time a child is signed in and are expected to be handed back when they are picked up. There is no charge for the pagers but if you lose them, then there will be a fine to replace it. Since these pagers are only often used for the younger children, I don't think guardians of the Shockwaves children will be given one. If a pager is something you are really interested in, then I would say talk to the Youth Activities Manager. Maybe something can be worked out.

I hope this information helps in some way! I can always clarify other things, if needed.

My kids are currently 16 and 11 and have been on many Princess cruises. Princess is strict about the age groupings. On one of our cruises, my older DD was turning 13 on the day after disembarkation, and they would not let her participate in the teen program. They will not let your 11 year old go into the teen group. Also, I feel quite certain they will not let a 15 year old participate in the Shockwaves. I am sure your nephew is a very nice young man, but frankly I do not think that the other parents of 8-12 year olds want teenagers hanging out in the Shockwaves room.

Definitely make sure your nephews get registered for their respective programs on the first day. Encourage them to attend the first activities, especially the 15 year old. Also, the teens do not need permission to sign themselves out of teen activities. They are free to come and go as they please. So it is up to the parents to set ground rules. If you visit the Family Cruises board and do a search, there are lots of good threads with suggested rules for teens. (Such as never go into anyone else's room; never invite anyone into your room, etc.)

For our Christmas cruise, I will authorize my 11 year old to sign herself out. But our rule will be that if she signs herself out, she can only go to her room or to some designated place that I've said I'll meet her.

I'm not sure where or when you are sailing as this makes a big difference on how many kids/teens will be onboard. Sometimes, when there are not many kids onboard they will group the ages of 3-12 together but never with teenagers who will be in their own "Remix" club. You may ask about the 15 year old...

Outside of the kids club, your nephews may also have fun going together to the swimming pools, playing table tennis, the sports court, attending a lecture, etc.

If you are not given a pager (usually used for the younger set), you may ask the nephews to report to the cabin or location at a certain time and always let them know where you may be....to keep some control.

Cheers.

Wow...thanks so much, all! I forgot how helpful the Princess CC Board is!

So, I think I'm getting the idea of the teen and youth program.

I forgot to mention that I'll be on the Star in Alaska next August. A 7 day from Seattle. It sounds to me like the boys should both be told that they should try their assigned programs the first nigh, and, while they're separate... they might enjoy them.

Maybe the older one will just want to dip in occasionally. it sounds as though he'll have free reign anyway, so...why bother trying to fight the system.

Maybe I'm just over-protective. I assumed they would all be monitored at all times...but, remember, this is an uncle here, not an actual parent...so...I don't completely get the whole parenting thing.

Do most people feel that Princess' youth and teen programs are on a par with other cruise lines?

I have always loved Princess for the less "Carnival-like" atmosphere, and the less "Celebrity-like" level of, ummm, sophistication...if that makes sense. Which I think it would, to any who have cruised those (perfectly wonderful) other lines.

I just don't know how that translates to kids.

Hopefully Princess, in Alaska in August will be a good choice.

Thanks again!

Archived