Take them or leave them at home?

Hello ladies (and the occasional gent).

Dressy shorts with tights is something I really like wearing, do you think this falls under smart casual even though it's technically shorts?

I don't think this is what they have in mind when they say "no shorts and flip flops". I've seen some pretty short (and tight) skirts and dresses at dinner, so I don't see how this look (example from the internet) could be turned away at the door. I'm sure it would fly on Carnival or NCL, but Celebrity? I'd pair them with a dressier top.

white-blouse-black-shorts-black-tights-black-shoes_400.jpg

They don't take much room in the suitcase but I'd be pretty embarrassed to be told to change. Should I try my luck?

I have been on Celebrity many times. For casual night, your outfit is perfect. I see no problem what so ever with it. Even on Celebrity, you get the occasional "slob" tee shirt wearing bozo. :eek: If that person doesn't get sent away to change....yours certainly won't...It is adorable.

I'm not familiar with Celebrity, but I can't see how any cruise line would turn you away for that! I definitely say GO for it!

This is one of my favorite looks, by the way. I'm not much of a short skirt girl, but I LOVE the dressy shorts with tights and heels!

I've actually been on the search for some black satin-y shorts like this for the holidays. I'm having a hard time finding them though - any suggestions? :)

A friend of ours posted on the Celebrity threads that she was kicked out of Michael's Club during the Elite cocktail party because somebody thought that she was wearing shorts - they were capris, but rode up above her knees as she sat. So I don't think I would chance it (even if I still had the figure and youth to pull it off) because you might just draw the maitre d' who disapproves.

Yes, those shorts are perfect for casual night - take them!

That's fine for casual evenings....even with tights, the shorts are not "dressy"....it's trendy...not dressy!

Well, the name for the trend is called "dressy shorts." And they are dressy for shorts... (you know - "dressy shorts," "casual dress," etc.) I don't think the OP was suggesting she'd wear them on formal night, just in the dining room.

What goes around, comes around.:) A couple of years ago there were any number of threads here about wearing dressy short to dinner.....not taking about formal nights. There were some pretty heated arguments for and against at the time. However, in the last few years most of the cruise lines have relaxed their dress codes so there will probably not be any problem wearing them now.

On our most recent cruise on RCCL, it did say in the daily Compass no shorts at dinner in the MDR. One lady at our table walked in with shorts, not dressy by any means, and not a word was said to her. About 2 years ago on NCL, the supposed more casual line, shorts were not permitted in one of the two restaurants, I saw them hold to it and turn ladies away. They also said no jeans and even saw a young lady turned away in a jean skirt. Sometimes ya' just never know.;)

thanks for the input ladies, seems to be more pros than against.

Definitely would not be thinking of this for formal nights, I thought maybe for the night I eat in Qsine, maybe the lawn club grill - they seem to be more of a trendy and relaxed atmosphere, but the dress code still applies.

Beezle82, did you try Guess? They seem to have a lot. Good luck.

Are you going on a Caribbean cruise? I think it's a cute look, but it seems more fall/winter to me than tropical. I know it can be chilly on the ships, but the tights seem out of place on a Caribbean cruise. I'd ditch the tights and just wear the shorts.

Edited to add: Never mind, I see you're doing a TA. In that case, it's perfect!

On Norwegian, you could wear them on any night...but you risk getting told no entry to the largest main dining room or to Le Bistro after 5pm. All other restaurants (free and fee) no problem at all. The two mentioned above restrict shorts.

Coka

You look adorable in that outfit--definitely take it. Enjoy your cruise.

That's not the OP just an example as she said.

If you have the shape of the girl in the picture they would look ok.

This is only my opinion coming up......it is not something I would ever wear even on a casual night when it says no shorts but the low and mid range cruise lines generally don't enforce it.

We had a guy at our table who wore shorts and a Hawaiin shirt every night even when the rest of the table was dressed up nicely, button down shirts and pants for the guys and knee length dresses for the ladies. It's wrong I suppose but I took an instant dislike for his flouting of the no shorts code at dinner and that was DCL btw.

Archived