Stuff you haven't tried on a cruise...

MissCruiseAddict

I did the Magic's rope course at 60, piece of cake. I usually hit the waterslide too.(check out my avatar) I ziplined and swam with dolphins and stingrays in my 50's. Maybe I'll try the tea next time and act my age. lol

Tea Time is awesome. We did it for the first time on our last cruise (cruise #3, it wasn't something I even knew about for the first two but learned about it and thought that it would be something my 15 y/o daughter and I would enjoy). When we first got on the ship (we sailed the Freedom), my kids ran into a schoolmate (what are the chances of running into someone from school on a cruise - slim, very slim) who was cruising with his grandfather, sister and cousin (it was his graduation gift). So not only did my daughter and I go to tea time, but we were joined by my husband, uncle, my son (17 at the time), the grandfather of the schoolmate, the schoolmate (18 at the time), his sister (14 at the time), and his cousin (16 at the time). We had a blast ... so much so, that we went on the second sea day as well.

As for the water slides, I go on them (and I'll be 45 in a few weeks), plus I am heavy ... I don't care, I'll never see those people again. We even did an excursion in Aruba (on the last cruise) to a waterpark where I spent my time on the waterslides (I banged up my tailbone, which still hurts really bad and I did it at the beginning of June).

I love the Scattergories (the uncle and I go to pretty much all the rounds, that and trivia ... I won a piece of plastic on a stick and was so excited - this was also something we tried for the first time on the last cruise). Also finally ate in the MDR for lunch, which was ok (we also ate there for breakfast ... we did on our first cruise on the Dream and it wasn't good, but for the third cruise on the Freedom it was really good, and I'm not a breakfast eater).

Now karaoke - it's something I stay away from. I applaud those that have the guts to get up there and do it especially when they cannot carry a tune, but I am so self conscious that that is something I cannot bring myself to do (I'll have to add that to my list of try some time - on the cruise since these are people I will probably never see again). :)

Things I haven't done and Want to do:

* karaoke - I like to sing .. That doesn't make me good at it, I guess I'm afraid of people running away with bleeding ears

* trying new food - I normally stick to what I know best although last cruise I did try shark and I enjoyed it quite a bit

* not caring about dancing in public - around my friends and family I don't care I only become self conscious infront of people I don't know it's a lack of confidence thing I guess

Another weird thing I'm on the larger Side and so for once I would love to queue up in the lido buffet line and not care what I get .. I don't know why but I always feel self conscious

These things I doubt I will do haha because I always loose my nerve I would much rather cheer and encourage others on :) just the way I am I guess

I totally relate to all of this!

I lost my karaoke virginity on my first cruise (October 2012). It was nerve wracking but ended up being painless. The folks that were there (less than 30 people) were super supportive.

I too get nervous about dancing in public and will generally only dance when there's lots of people on the dancefloor or when I'm hammered. But I decided that I didn't care and just wanted to have fun. So I danced quite a bit.

And whatever your size, you still have to eat to live! So if you want to try 27 things from the buffet, pile em on! Just because it's on your plate, doesn't mean you have to eat it all! And really, I saw people leaving the buffet with two plates FULL, EACH! It's all good!

• 1 month later...
It's all my wife's fault. Another thing I haven't tried is with the kids in the next balcony cabin I can't join the Balcony Club, Wink,wink.

LOL been there done that, totally worth it...def send them on a pizza run (That requires them to wait at least 10 minutes for a special fresh one that you just must have) lol just a suggestion

all checked off my list and maybe a few more

Water Slides - FUN

Hairy chest contest judge - got to elimiainte my hubby

sushi - <3

trying new foods - can be scary

bingo - wish I could win

trivia and other games - so much fun!

played game show and won :p

was in the final rould of slot tourny - would of won if I did not listent o the advice of hubby and picked the machine I wanted

tried new drinks - back to Kiss on a lips

tea time - I love it

lunch in the MDR - would do it everyday if I could talk the family into it

golf - MEH

breakfast in the MDR - would do every day too

breakfast on my balcony - wish I could afford more balconies

Spa treatment - won a facial but way to much pressure to upsell for me to ever go back

Room Service - a must even after the 3rd dinner in a night

Have a collection of ship on sticks

Still want to try...

more balconies and balcony club

behind the scenes tour

chef dinner

steakhouse

newer ships and all that goes with them

sailing new places

staying on board at port

fun and exciting things to do while at port

I will keep pluging away at my list but sadly all of the above require more of this $$$ which I don't have of late but still make the best of y vacations

All you slide-o-phobes need to give it a try! I'm 47 and I fully intend to enjoy the slides repeatedly.

I also plan to get the Cheers program and try a few new drinks that I might not have risked money on before.

Things I have done that I do NOT regret a bit:

• Lip-sync contest in the disco, to the Otto Titsling song from Beaches. It was over 20 years ago on the Jubilee and I went on right after this blonde bombshell who did a really sultry Bonnie Raitt song. I was so intimidated. I thought, "Oh well, I've already given the DJ my music, so I might as well go." WINNER! Solid gold plastic ship on a stick for me! Hahaha!
  • Talent show (also over 20 years ago).
  • Bingo - won $500 on a card I shared with my sister
  • Costume show - went with a group of people as the "Sheet" family. We wrapped ourselves in sheets from our cabins, then made handwritten signs with our first names: Oh, Little and Bull.
  • Waterslides
  • Ropes course
  • Mini golf
  • Steak house on the Magic. YUM!

My advice? Do all those things you are curious about! Just go for it and have fun!

Spa day! Would love to and hope this upcoming cruise will be the time!

Waterslide... Hell, I'm a 40 yr old with two kids and stretch marks... nothing more adventurous than that! (Ok, I'll be the one wearing board shorts and a turtle neck, but I'll get down that waterslide!:D)

Nookie in the cabin!! So now that the kids are old enough to have their own room.... Ya, I won't go into details. :eek: :p

Eat buffet Yep, you read that right. I hate buffet and would rather starve, but I'm trying to work through that and would feel it a huge accomplishment to stand in line for food....on a boat. Not Golden Corral. That's an absolute NEVER! A girl's got to have her limitations. ;)

I will NEVER sing karaoke! I know y'all would love for the cruise lines to drop their prices, but having me sing can and will bankrupt the industry. The word will get out about what they allow on board. I can't do that to ya'll.

(DH sings and had the crowd going last cruise! He's a ham!:rolleyes:)

LMAOFF

water slide check done it

danced all night check done it

Upper Deck Club.... Check done it (um more than once)

sang and also did Kareokee check done it

Also was back up singer for the cruise singer check done it

ordered 5 different apitizers for supper check done it

Danced with the captain ... check done it

Looking forward to a new adventure on this cruise!;)

OMG! WTH! IS the Upper deck club??? Yeah, I can guess and presume... BUT.... I need confirmation! I've just booked a balcony... for the balcony club...

I don't need "details" just ... confirmation? really? where?? when?? holy hell! this could change ... everything!

OMG! I can't wait 11 more sleeps till cruise time ! I am a proud 55year old grandmother of two with stretch marks, little wrinkles, and a happy smile that will love going down the water slide, singing karaoke , loving tea time, bingo, dancing and people watching. I will know just one person at the beginning of our cruise but hope to have many friends at the end of the 7 days.

but think you might want to?

I'm thinking of trying some different things on my next cruise. I always tell myself I'm going to do the following but never do.

Karaoke- I sit and listen and sing along but I've never got up there and did a song.

So what about the rest of you?

Me and 3 other guys did a drunken version of an Nsync song to the amusment of our wives/girlfriends. I'm not one to typically "sing" karaoke! :D

Everyone in our group does the waterslide a few times every cruise. We even take turns staying at the bottom and taking pictures of everyone (at least the women take the pics, the men just like to slide!) We are all in our 50's and 60's. Sure we will all be "sliding" on the Freedom in April. As we say "What happens on the cruise, stays on the cruise". Give it a try and be sure someone gets your picture! Enjoy your cruise.

but think you might want to?

I'm thinking of trying some different things on my next cruise. I always tell myself I'm going to do the following but never do.

Karaoke- I sit and listen and sing along but I've never got up there and did a song.

Mini Golf- don't know why I haven't.

Spa- I've always wanted to book a spa treatment. Usually its the price that keeps me from doing so. Yeah I have the money but it's the principal on the price. I want to get a scalp massage those things feel AMAZING.

Water Slide- I haven't done so because I think I would look silly being a 32 year old woman going down a water slide.. lol.

and finally I tell myself I'm going to try a new drink but I end up going with my good ol' favorite onboard... KISS ON THE LIPS.

So what about the rest of you?

No way would anyone want ME to sing, so that's out.

Family has done mini golf, guess I'm just not in to that.

Do book the spa, especially if you can afford it. It's so amazing on a rocking ship.

And don't worry about looking silly on the water slide. LOVE water slides and can't wait to try out the new one on the Breeze. I scream, laugh, and carry on so much that one family actually thanked me for giving them such a chuckle watching me have fun. I'm 54!

But to answer your answer, I'm going to order an extra entree to share of something I always wanted to try, but didn't because I was afraid I wouldn't like it and/or wanted to order an old favorite. We are a group of 7, so I decided the extra entree will be for the 8th person on the empty chair!:D

I'm 56 and my son talked me and a friend into going down the slide! I talked my friend into going first. When it was my turn, my son had to literally peel my fingers from the start bar. I was hyperventilating I was so afraid! Needless to say everybody behind us was cracking up! Finally, I let go and zoooooom I went!

After that first time, I went back 2 more times! I can't wait until March so I can go again! Yippeee!

Archived