Our experience in Barbados

Iheartcruisin'

We just returned home from sailing on the Carnival Victory. Arriving in Barbados on Nov. 14, 2012. What a beautiful beach and water. We took a taxi to Boatyard. I believe it was $6 per person. $12 per person to get into Boatyard, this included and umbrella, chair, 1 drink and a ride back to the ship. We felt this was a good deal. It was a nice place to be. The only complaint I have is that the beach vendors where wanting to sell their wares. But it wasn't too bad. The ocean was clear and calm so we snorkeled and spotted some fish. A surprise was that the sand had a pink tint to it.

Thanks for the review! I will be at the Boatyard exactly 3 weeks from today!! :D Did you notice if they have lockers there, and if so, is there a fee and do they provide the locks? Also, did any of those vendors offer to take you snorkelling with the turtles? Did you go? How were the prices? Thanks!

Thanks for the review! I will be at the Boatyard exactly 3 weeks from today!! :D Did you notice if they have lockers there, and if so, is there a fee and do they provide the locks? Also, did any of those vendors offer to take you snorkelling with the turtles? Did you go? How were the prices? Thanks!

These are all my questions also!!

Thanks for the review! I will be at the Boatyard exactly 3 weeks from today!! Did you notice if they have lockers there, and if so, is there a fee and do they provide the locks? Also, did any of those vendors offer to take you snorkelling with the turtles? Did you go? How were the prices? Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is from the Boat Yard Website: ” Fresh water showers, restrooms, lockers, beachside restaurant and bar.” You’ll have to EM them for the lock/cost question, but the lockers are available.

You will find a myriad of vendors that will take you out to see the Hawksbills almost anywhere along the west coast, Boatyard included. Maybe US$20/pp.?

If you want a different perspective, try our east coast. It's a different island.

No turtles, just raw beauty and solitude.

Crane Beach, Barbados. Voted one of the ten best beaches in the world by Conde Nast.

crane-beach-barbados.jpg

Best wishes for a wonderful holiday! :) :) :)

We did not use the lockers or any of the vendors. We snorkeled right off the beach.

We just returned home from sailing on the Carnival Victory. Arriving in Barbados on Nov. 14' date=' 2012. What a beautiful beach and water. We took a taxi to [i']Boatyard[/i]. I believe it was $6 per person. $12 per person to get into Boatyard, this included and umbrella, chair, 1 drink and a ride back to the ship. We felt this was a good deal. It was a nice place to be. The only complaint I have is that the beach vendors where wanting to sell their wares. But it wasn't too bad. The ocean was clear and calm so we snorkeled and spotted some fish. A surprise was that the sand had a pink tint to it.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Just returned home from Emerald Princess yesterday and visited Barbados on Thanksgiving Day. We also thought The Boatyard was a great deal and a good place to spend the day. Walked there from the ship - not too long a walk for us, but it was pretty hot that morning, so we were glad to finally arrive. It was good to get there early, have the place and the beach almost to ourselves for a while, and get chairs and umbrella in the front row closetst to the water. Got pretty crowded in late morning toward noon. We thought the drinks and food were reasonably priced.

Thanks for the review! I will be at the Boatyard exactly 3 weeks from today!! Did you notice if they have lockers there, and if so, is there a fee and do they provide the locks? Also, did any of those vendors offer to take you snorkelling with the turtles? Did you go? How were the prices? Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is from the Boat Yard Website: ” Fresh water showers, restrooms, lockers, beachside restaurant and bar.” You’ll have to EM them for the lock/cost question, but the lockers are available.

You will find a myriad of vendors that will take you out to see the Hawksbills almost anywhere along the west coast, Boatyard included. Maybe US$20/pp.?

If you want a different perspective, try our east coast. It's a different island.

No turtles, just raw beauty and solitude.

Crane Beach, Barbados. Voted one of the ten best beaches in the world by Conde Nast.

crane-beach-barbados.jpg

Best wishes for a wonderful holiday! :) :) :)

Hi Barbados!

How far is Crane Beach from the cruise ship terminal? Would it be feasible to have a quick visit here and also do one of the snorkeling with the sea turtles sails? We'll be in port from 8-5. Thanks for your help!

Crane is about 10 miles from Deep Water Harbour. 45-60 minutes depending on traffic, however my wife can make it there in 37 minutes on a good day.

If you grab a taxi first thing after you get off of the ship (apx US$25/hr for up to four (4) in the cab *not per person!*), you could be at Crane by 10am or a little earlier. You’ll want to spend a couple of hours there (most don’t want to leave). If you pay to access the beach through the hotel, the tariff will go to a lunch or drinks, so you may want to opt for that. If you choose the public access to the beach, it is…..not easy but certainly doable if your party is in fair physical shape. It’s not for the infirm.

You may be able to hook-up with an organised tour upon your return to the west coast, but many start at 1pm and you would be cutting it close…however…

If you choose not to lunch at Crane, or up the road in Bathsheba, and just head back to the west coast, you could be back by one. Plenty of rogue captains that will take you out to see the hawksbills for US$20-30 each including a snorkel at the wrecks. They frequent the beaches plus you taxi driver will know one, I guarantee it.

Snorkel/view until 3:30 and head back. If you are on Carlisle Bay you’ll only be 15 minutes from the ship. If you are north out of Holetown, you could be 20-30 minutes away, but safely close so as not to worry.

Best wishes for a wonderful holiday on the island…and please come back and see us! :)

Another view of Crane

crane5.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of good information! An hour to drive 10 miles, holy cow! Lots to think about. Thanks a lot for your advice.

Hi gapearl,

Crane is indeed a beautiful beach but is a bit out of the way. It is probably worth the drive though.:)

However there are so many beautiful beaches in Barbados that you can go to that are not that far out.( I will not suggest any in particular as that may lead you to think I have a preference;))

I am sure you will have a great time whatever you decide.

When in 2013 are you cruising? I have some CC friends coming on the March 31st sailing.

I love Crane Beach and is my favorite of all the beaches in the Carribbean.....been there 3 times and going there again on my cruise in January.

I am looking for another beach as well to hit on the way back to the pier that is also beautiful....anyone have any suggestions.

We have hired a driver that was recommended on these boards and will be using him for the day after we dock.

How is the shopping in Barbados....other than souvenier stuff, any recommendations?

Don

Hi gapearl,

Crane is indeed a beautiful beach but is a bit out of the way. It is probably worth the drive though.:)

However there are so many beautiful beaches in Barbados that you can go to that are not that far out.( I will not suggest any in particular as that may lead you to think I have a preference;))

I am sure you will have a great time whatever you decide.

When in 2013 are you cruising? I have some CC friends coming on the March 31st sailing.

Hi Keith! Thanks for the info! I'll be coming in February. I'm thinking Crane Beach might be a little too far out of the way for a cruise stop. Maybe I'll have to come to Barbados in the future for a few days and visit Crane then! :D

Crane is pretty much at the opposite end of the island from Speightstown. Depending on the traffic, figure at least an hour or more between the two...

As for beaches between port and Crane, there are lots to choose from:

Dover, Maxwell, Accra/Rockley and Carlisle Bay to name a few...

For shopping, if you're looking for something a little different, check out local artists at Pelican Village next to the Princess Alice Bus Terminal about 2 blocks south of the roundabout at the south port gates.

Cheers, P:)

Great info Keith!

How far is Speithstown from the Crane?

How long is the drive?

TIA!

I believe another poster would have answered your Question on Speightstown. It is a pretty fair distance from Crane. Crane is on the East coast and Speighstown on the West coast. There is not much to see in Speighstown of itself but you will enjoy the drive along the coast.

If you do take the drive along the West Coast you will actually pass right by Simon Cowell's house.:)

Hi Keith! Thanks for the info! I'll be coming in February. I'm thinking Crane Beach might be a little too far out of the way for a cruise stop. Maybe I'll have to come to Barbados in the future for a few days and visit Crane then! :D

You are very welcome.

Sounds like a plan, I am sure you would enjoy a land based holiday on the island.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Keith! We met on the AOS out of San Juan in March of 2011, I believe! Since this is your home turf, would you recommend the Boatyard (one of the posters referenced it above) or Crane Beach? There are no children on this trip (just a bunch of immature, booze addled adults). Any help you could provide would be much appreciated, sir!

Hi Baja Keith,

At the Cruise thay are offering the Carib Beach Bar how is it? I'm going to be there 02-Jan-2013 any other suggestions. It's going to be me my Wife and one year old.!

Thank you

Carib beach bar is not too far from the "famous" Rockley Beach. They actually share the same stretch of beach.

Carib Beach Bar has recently been refurbished so you should have a great time in an almost new facility.:D

Hope I responded in time before you left on your cruise.

Hi, Keith! We met on the AOS out of San Juan in March of 2011, I believe! Since this is your home turf, would you recommend the Boatyard (one of the posters referenced it above) or Crane Beach? There are no children on this trip (just a bunch of immature, booze addled adults). Any help you could provide would be much appreciated, sir!

Yes I do remember you and your husband. It was April 2011. :)

You were part of a group with Lita and Arn and Suzanne and her husband Jim. (Stepmonster) and some others.

Boatyard has something for everyone so you should have a good time there. It also has facilities and toys.

While Crane is indeed a beautiful beach, I am not sure it offers any of amenities the boatyard does ( I may be speaking subject to correction)

When will you be on the island?

We're there the week of March 9th...will have to see which day exactly.

And, yep, that's the right group. I forgot that it was in April. This upcoming cruise is with many of the same folks: Lita and Arn; aajacques (April and Bobby); capnC (Steve).

Thanks for your help, Keith! Now I just have to share your comments with the rest of the group...and tell them the advice came from you!

Archived