What happened to the dress code on formal nights?

Cashew14

I shall then choose to assume that you are equally upset about the name calling to which I referred in the post in which I was taken to task.

Are you sure that the post was directed at you? I seem to recall that kind of thing is usually a general statement directed at most likely the people than the Matire D' turns away and asks to change clothes...

That kind of thing ruins formal night for everyone, who planned on what HAL publishes, and pays the additional luggage fees, & additional time packing, getting ready, etc etc, to be courteous to the other customers. :)

If it was a general statement, how can you be sure it is directed at you? Relax. :)

If you saw something that was directed at you then post it, (I am very curious) But alas, I am cooking and newly learning to make prime rib. :)

The schleps have an excuse for everything.

<snip>:confused:

What is a "schlep"? And, who decides who is a "schlep"?

this thread is proof positive of how toxic the dress code topic can become. Everyone trying to enforce their opinion on the other side. Life is short, people.

so, I googled and got this. Am I to understand that a schlep is someone who is stupid and clumsy. But yet they may dress very well, so what's the connection?

schlep or schlepp also shlep (shlebreve.gifp) Slang v. schlepped also shlepped, schlep·ping or schlepp·ing also shlep·ping, schleps or schlepps also shleps

v.tr. To carry clumsily or with difficulty; lug: schlepped a shopping bag around town.

v.intr. To move slowly or laboriously: schlepped around with the twins in a stroller.

n.1. An arduous journey.

2. A clumsy or stupid person.

[Yiddish shlepn, to drag, pull, from Middle Low German slemacr.gifpen; see lei- in Indo-European roots.]

schlepprime.gifper, schleppprime.gifer, shlepprime.gifper n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

schlep [ʃlɛp]vb schleps, schlepping, schlepped to drag or lug (oneself or an object) with difficulty

n1. a stupid or clumsy person

2. an arduous journey or procedure[Yiddish, from German schleppen]

There are those that might suggest that the clueless are those hanging on to outdated traditions, and that this is in fact the population with excess numbers.

Wearing ridiculous clothing rooted in sensibilities from a half century past, and inappropriate for tropical climes, would seem ample reason to well qualify oneself for serious derision by those with more rational attire.

Feel free to Like Ike, but Ike has been dead for four and a half decades. You might laugh at people who you think are incorrectly dressed, but a consider for a moment that lot of people might be laughing at you for dressing like an uncomfortable and, yes, clueless, monkey desperately trying to hang onto a long gone age.

My my ... here we have a perfect illustration of that often-illusive "extreme opposite side" in this debate. While I've long ago retired from this field of battle, and only just now discovered this thrashing thread of thunderous tempestuousness, nevertheless I still think it interesting when someone provides evidence for what's going on inside the minds of those who take that "extreme opposite side."

As for me, I'll just keep wearing my tuxedo on my future cruises; if someone, like tandkquinn, wishes to think of me as a "clueless monkey" for doing so ... well, they'll just have to own their faux pas for what it is. I could not care less. Not any more. Not when there's so much of such greater importance to wrangle about and tend to in the "real world."

I have an idea. This topic is so contentious, and people hold such strong views, that perhaps HAL - and other cruise lines - could incorporate it into their entertainment programme. They could have a "Great Debate" in the showroom, with, on either side and carefully separated by a bunch of Swedish and Swiss neutrals, proponants of both views. The audience could dress appropriately for the occasion and cheer or jeer at appropriate times. Beer and pretzels could be provided, or strawberries and champagne, and the winning team could be invited to write a Guide to Satorial Acceptability on the High Seas.

I think I'd even buy tickets for that show, but I think that the staff would need to ensure that all sharp objects were safely hidden away before the proceedings commenced. :D

My my ... here we have a perfect illustration of that often-illusive "extreme opposite side" in this debate. While I've long ago retired from this field of battle, and only just now discovered this thrashing thread of thunderous tempestuousness, nevertheless I still think it interesting when someone provides evidence for what's going on inside the minds of those who take that "extreme opposite side."

As for me, I'll just keep wearing my tuxedo on my future cruises; if someone, like tandkquinn, wishes to think of me as a "clueless monkey" for doing so ... well, they'll just have to own their faux pas for what it is. I could not care less. Not any more. Not when there's so much of such greater importance to wrangle about and tend to in the "real world."

RevNeal--

You are NOT a clueless Monkey.

Classy dresser and respectful of others? A TRUE Gentleman! :)

There are those that might suggest that the clueless are those hanging on to outdated traditions, and that this is in fact the population with excess numbers.

Wearing ridiculous clothing rooted in sensibilities from a half century past, and inappropriate for tropical climes, would seem ample reason to well qualify oneself for serious derision by those with more rational attire.

Feel free to Like Ike, but Ike has been dead for four and a half decades. You might laugh at people who you think are incorrectly dressed, but a consider for a moment that lot of people might be laughing at you for dressing like an uncomfortable and, yes, clueless, monkey desperately trying to hang onto a long gone age.

I think I look plenty formal, plenty comfortable and it worked for the climate. I think perhaps you have an outdated view of what is formal ?

You should have seen my DH on our wedding day in a Perry Ellis 3 piece Linen suit, he looked mighty formal as well, and it was correct for the tempature.

Branch out, you never know what you will find. Got his linen suit at Macy's for under $140 out the door after the season (June/July) last year...

This year, found matching pieces for $9.99 on clearance, so now he has 2.

His tux is very lightweight and rolled up VERY small. Also he did not spend time outside in his tux so it was not hot. The climate did not affect the MDR etc.

Maybe you just have a wrong idea about what is out there, or just want to kick and scream regardless. That is for you to decide. But the weight and temp excuses are pretty much debunked.

We, like a lot of people, have to limit our baggage to 23 kilograms p/p, but I bought DH a lightweight, inexpensive suit which he wears on cruises only...( because we are not the type of people who go anywhere else to wear one) and I think it is great fun to dress up on formal nights.... is part of the cruise for us. In all seasons you will find my DH in shorts and polo shirt and in winter he wears a pullover as well, so seeing him all 'spiffy' is great. If one does not wish to 'dress' up for dinner, then alternatives are available. Mind you, on one formal night we sat opposite a formally dressed youngish woman who was wearing a VERY low-cut top and this we did find offensive as we were all waiting for a malfunction to occur...;) To each his own.... If we wanted a casual cruise we would perhaps opt for an alternative cruiseline.

We, like a lot of people, have to limit our baggage to 23 kilograms p/p, but I bought DH a lightweight, inexpensive suit which he wears on cruises only...( because we are not the type of people who go anywhere else to wear one) and I think it is great fun to dress up on formal nights.... is part of the cruise for us. In all seasons you will find my DH in shorts and polo shirt and in winter he wears a pullover as well, so seeing him all 'spiffy' is great. If one does not wish to 'dress' up for dinner, then alternatives are available. Mind you, on one formal night we sat opposite a formally dressed youngish woman who was wearing a VERY low-cut top and this we did find offensive as we were all waiting for a malfunction to occur...;) To each his own.... If we wanted a casual cruise we would perhaps opt for an alternative cruiseline.

Are you sure you both found it offensive?:D

I have an idea. This topic is so contentious, and people hold such strong views, that perhaps HAL - and other cruise lines - could incorporate it into their entertainment programme. They could have a "Great Debate" in the showroom, with, on either side and carefully separated by a bunch of Swedish and Swiss neutrals, proponants of both views. The audience could dress appropriately for the occasion and cheer or jeer at appropriate times. Beer and pretzels could be provided, or strawberries and champagne, and the winning team could be invited to write a Guide to Satorial Acceptability on the High Seas.

I think I'd even buy tickets for that show, but I think that the staff would need to ensure that all sharp objects were safely hidden away before the proceedings commenced. :D

The rules of debate, which are quite formal ;), prohibit the use of weapons. I love a good debate -- debate club in high school.... This WOULD be fun. Either as observer or participant. Unfortunately, it would require the wisdom of Solomon to convince either side that the other won. :)

In a really formal debate, of course, the "sides" are assigned and you can find yourself arguing against your own convictions. ;)

Oh my. What have I done starting a thread like this.

I think the most logical explanation came from someone pointing out to which market the cruise is aimed at. Let's agree if it is the UK market people adhere more to the rules as it is in our nature and upbringing to "dress up" more on several occasions. Whether it is on a cruise, going out for dinner, going to parties etc.

Loved the comment about the "debate between the dressers and nondressers" on board!! :D

Maybe HAL had a sneak peak into this thread and think about making the formal night a little bit more special to give others who usually don't dress up an incentive. And as someone else said if HAL says one thing on the website but then allow more casual they should clearly state this on the website too or enforce their rule more.

And last but not least people are saying times change. Ummm, no. Not when it comes to having manners and a little bit of class. Hooray to the inventors of flip flops and jeans, love to wear them when I go shopping. :D

Andrea

The rules of debate, which are quite formal ;), prohibit the use of weapons. I love a good debate -- debate club in high school.... This WOULD be fun. Either as observer or participant. Unfortunately, it would require the wisdom of Solomon to convince either side that the other won. :)

In a really formal debate, of course, the "sides" are assigned and you can find yourself arguing against your own convictions. ;)

My own convictions? Ooh waah, have you been peaking at my record? Hm, I guess I know what I'll be wearing, then - yep, the orange boilersuit with a bit of ironmongery attached. But, hey, fluro is BIG this year. ;)

And last but not least people are saying times change. Ummm, no. Not when it comes to having manners and a little bit of class. Hooray to the inventors of flip flops and jeans, love to wear them when I go shopping. :D

Andrea

50 years ago my mother put on a nice dress and heels to go shopping. She was horrified the first time she saw someone in the PX in jeans and even more horrified the first time she saw them in flip-flops.... So, expectations on "manners and class" DO change.

50 years ago my mother put on a nice dress and heels to go shopping. She was horrified the first time she saw someone in the PX in jeans and even more horrified the first time she saw them in flip-flops.... So, expectations on "manners and class" DO change.

Great, does this mean in 50 years everyone is running around naked on the ship? :D

After reading this thread I thought I was watching the movie "Twelve Angry Men" (Cruisers) :eek:.

Actually I prefer casual nights; though I do not like to tie one on, I actually do not mind to tie one on ! :D

Oh my. What have I done starting a thread like this.

I think the most logical explanation came from someone pointing out to which market the cruise is aimed at. Let's agree if it is the UK market people adhere more to the rules as it is in our nature and upbringing to "dress up" more on several occasions. Whether it is on a cruise, going out for dinner, going to parties etc.

Unfortunately, these threads always carry such a risk.

Even when it's started with a very focused and reasonable question like yours!

Some may be unintentional, but you're right about it not being enforced. We had every intention of dressing up for both formal nights. I'd taken great care to pick out 2 different cocktail dresses with accessories etc. We did dress for the first night and had dinner in the Pinnacle.

I had read on CC that the 2nd formal night would likely be after a certain port and didn't think much more about it. The night before I expected it, we dressed in our smart casual. I wore black slacks and a lace tshirt with casual flat suede boots. DH wore slacks and a long sleeved dress shirt open at the collar. No tie and no jacket. We had open dining and went to the MDR around 5:30 or 6. We did not notice others dressed up on our way to dinner, but our cabin was right above the MDR so we didn't have far to walk and it was early so not too many were dressed yet. We asked for a 2 top at the MDR and were immediately taken to our table and seated. They didn't blink or say a word about our attire. As we were walking through the dining room, I noticed a few people were dressed up, but some were also casual. As more people came in dressed up, we realized it was formal night, but we were already seated. We both would have appreciated it if the maitre 'd had let us know it was formal night. Neither one of us had noticed it announced in the Daily news (Explorer?). We would have been happy to go back to our cabin and change. Instead, we joked about taking the walk of shame as we left the dining room, because we were sure to offend someone.

Once we got back to our cabin, we inspected the Explorer much more closely and found in VERY small print on the front page by the date and port was "Attire: formal". Neither one of us had paid attention to that tiny font on the front page that was almost all large print ads for the shops. If it had been in bigger print in the main section with the scheduled activities, we would have noticed it and certainly complied.

I can understand you feeling out of place in a gown though. I only noticed one full length gown. I'm sure there were more, but we ate early. The one I saw was in the Queens Lounge after a show. Many were in cocktail dresses, but MANY were just in slacks and a blouse, which I would consider more church wear then "formal".

50+ years ago my mother put on a nice dress and heels and climbed up the stairs in the Statue of Liberty.....all the way to the top and bak down. :eek: She was thrilled when it became the norm to wear jogging suits and sneakers on planes....she traveled extensively and loved the comfort. She happiy changed with the times but still retained her eglance for occasions that dictated such.

In the mid 1940s, my grandmother wore her usual outift of a modest dress, corset, nylons and pumps to ride a donkey to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back up. :eek: She wore this same outfit everyday until she passed.....but she never spoke an unkind word about the changing attire that surrounded her as the decades passed her by.

It's how we perceive these fashion changes and our reactions to them that form them. The older generation vs. the younger generation has been transforming what is acceptible forever. HAL's "formal" dress code is bending with the times, whether that pax like it or not.

50+ years ago my mother put on a nice dress and heels and climbed up the stairs in the Statue of Liberty.....all the way to the top and bak down. :eek: She was thrilled when it became the norm to wear jogging suits and sneakers on planes....she traveled extensively and loved the comfort. She happiy changed with the times but still retained her eglance for occasions that dictated such. /QUOTE]

"She happily changed with the times, but still retained her elegance for occasions that dictated such"...

Now THAT i love.... :)

Archived