Violence in San Juan--NBC Nightly News Tonight

Burlingtontownie

DRUG VIOLENCE DESCENDS UPON PUERTO RICO

A vicious drug war has come to the island home of 4 million Americans, which is being used as a transshipment point to the East Coast. NBC’s Gabe Gutierrez reports.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/49943812#49943812

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#49247307

Sad, to watch and hear. I hope it does not reach a point where cruise ships may need to book around this port.

"Puerto Rico cannot survive with this horrendous crime wave." Words of a father who lost his son to the violence.

You should not be too concerned about drug violence as long as you're not involve in drugs. Random violence in Puerto Rico is rare.

Again, Puerto Rico is perfectly safe as long as you stay away from drug trafficking, prostitution and road rage incidents.

And it's not exactly new news. I've been travelling to Puerto Rico for going on 20 years now (to the in-laws), and it seems as if it's been a steady issue the whole time.

Which does not affect Old San Juan, or any of the tourist areas we've been in. It's amazing to just see it on the news, and virtually no other evidence of it (other than my MIL "warning" us of stuff... )

Sick with what AOS says above, and travelers will be fine.

And it's not exactly new news. I've been travelling to Puerto Rico for going on 20 years now (to the in-laws), and it seems as if it's been a steady issue the whole time.

Which does not affect Old San Juan, or any of the tourist areas we've been in. It's amazing to just see it on the news, and virtually no other evidence of it (other than my MIL "warning" us of stuff... )

Sick with what AOS says above, and travelers will be fine.

Probably the murder of boxer Hector "Macho" Camacho last week brought the issue to the forefront again.

As it happens, the guy he was with was the real target of the incident. He was a well known **** who ran a prostitution ring and drugs where found in the car as well. 10 packets of cocaine tells me he was selling the stuff too.

DRUG VIOLENCE DESCENDS UPON PUERTO RICO

A vicious drug war has come to the island home of 4 million Americans, which is being used as a transshipment point to the East Coast. NBC’s Gabe Gutierrez reports.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/49943812#49943812

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#49247307

Sad, to watch and hear. I hope it does not reach a point where cruise ships may need to book around this port.

"Puerto Rico cannot survive with this horrendous crime wave." Words of a father who lost his son to the violence.

Could also be greater Boston or any other major metro area. Do not understand why people post these type of confusing stories.....

Unfortunately all major cities has their fair share of crime whether here in the states or on one of the beautiful Caribbean islands. Like at home in the states, you must always be aware of your surroundings.

We walked the streets of Old San Juan very late in the evening on our last cruise and I never felt threatened.

I love Puerto Rico and looking forward to my visit in 10 more days.

Archived