Which port would you stay on ship

butterflyeffect

Im feeling bad now that I picked Belize!:o

I remember reading about Belize many moons ago, and always wanted to go there. And the tour I did there, which was the Belize city tour, did not disappoint me, because I already knew what to expect. It is not your typical cruise or vacation destination. But it is certainly an interesting place. As another poster pointed out, the people are very well educated, and that education system was well described during the tour I took. The actual place the tenders dock is your usual conglomeration of tourist boutiques with the usual.

But have read many reviews here on CC, and know that there is much other things to see and do here besides, a short city tour, so, if I can retract my previous vote of place to stay aboard I change it to Cozumel.:(

I love Cozumel, but yes it is "cookie cutter" as another has said. Lots to see and do here, but also if you cruise often you have been here before, so at teh expense of Cozumel....please dont miss Belize. Cozumel will always be there on future itins, but not sure how long Belize will be there.

Also, in Coz, you can get off briefly and go through the shops on pier, then back on board early enough to enjoy the ship.

:)

Belize.....

On the other hand I wouldn't miss Costa Maya on a bet. There are two all inclusives that I know about. We went to Maya Chan and loved it, a coworker went to the other and just loved it also. Neither are sponsored by the cruise lines that I know of.

We have a friend that stays in the ship... Why do people do that? Just a dumb question that I wonder about.

Alot of us have been to ports multiple times and have been their done that and want to enjoy an empty ship for the day

I vote Belize

It kind of depends on the type of excursions the OP wants to do which she didn't state. While I agree with some of the negative posts about Belize, the cave tubing there is unlike anything I have done at any other port and is easily in the top 3 excursions we have done, if not the best. Snorkelling/diving in Belize is also superb. WAY better than Cozumel. If you are adventurous and in halfway decent shape, the cave tubing is not to be missed.

Furthermore, if you are planning on staying in the pier area at any of these ports, you might as well stay on the ship, because they're pretty much the same thing. Do a tour or something and get out of the pier/tourist areas.

Wow thanks for all the responses. The reason I was thinking of staying on the ship one day is I don't find port days relaxing. Fun yes but very busy and exhausting. With four ports in a row I was thinking about relaxing and enjoying an empty ship. While the overwhelming response was Belize a couple posters made a good point that I may never be back since its not a common port of call. I think we are going to do an excursion in Belize so we can say we have been there, in Cozumel we were already thinking Mr Sanchos, and we will definitely do the beach in Roatan (Maya Key maybe?). That leaves Costa Maya...its such an early departure maybe we will just get off to take a look around and maybe do a little shopping and grab a bite to eat. If we do that I can sleep in a little and we have to be back on the ship early anyhow so it won't be a crazy busy day.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Wow thanks for all the responses. The reason I was thinking of staying on the ship one day is I don't find port days relaxing. Fun yes but very busy and exhausting. With four ports in a row I was thinking about relaxing and enjoying an empty ship. While the overwhelming response was Belize a couple posters made a good point that I may never be back since its not a common port of call. I think we are going to do an excursion in Belize so we can say we have been there, in Cozumel we were already thinking Mr Sanchos, and we will definitely do the beach in Roatan (Maya Key maybe?). That leaves Costa Maya...its such an early departure maybe we will just get off to take a look around and maybe do a little shopping and grab a bite to eat. If we do that I can sleep in a little and we have to be back on the ship early anyhow so it won't be a crazy busy day.

We just did Mr sanchos last month and it was awesome!!!

in Roatan we always use Victor Bodden tours.By far the best.They cater to what you like and take you to some great beaches and a great tour with great guides and cheap :)

http://www.boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm

In Costa Maya, the area just off the peir has some nice shops,and there is a pool and bar/restaurant area that looked very appealing last time I was there. So if you choose to spend time aboard here, you can still get off the ship, and shop a bit if you wish, and the option of a larger pool is also right there, just if you like those things. Still lots of time to get back on board and enjoy a very quiet ship.

I would get off at all of them but wouldn't do excursions at all of them. If I were forced for what ever reason you have to stay on and miss one port it would be Belieze. But you may as well stretch your legs on land anyway not much in port area but it is worth a look you are there.

Belize is great if you want to take an organized excursion to one of the Mayan ruins. If you don't want to see ruins, stay on the ship.

Really???? How about the Shark/Ray Alley tour with Coral Breezes or one of the many cave tubing tours or just a snorkel excursion to the second largest barrier reef in the world? Don't be so narrow minded when it comes to excursions....or are you just scared of water associated tours?

I agree with others that Belize is the "hardest" port of call because of the 5 mile tender, and because you NEED to book an excursion. However it's a very unique and beautiful country, with attractions that you can't find anywhere. I would DEFINITELY get off the ship in Belize!

Suprisingly for many, my vote would be for COZUMEL. 3 reasons:

• Cozumel is visited on almost every Western Caribbean cruise. So chances are that if the OP misses it this time, it will be in a future itinerary.
  • Cozumel is a "cookie cutter" port. Unless you take a 45 minute ferry to the mainland to visit the Mayan Ruins of Tulum, Cozumel's attractions can be found at pretty much any port in the Caribbean. Beaches, same ol' shops, and same ol' chain bars and restaurants. I can visit McDonald's and Starbucks in my hometown.
  • Cozumel can get VERY crowded. Most times, there are several ships visiting on the same day, which translates into thousands and thousands of cruise passengers. Looking at Cozumel's itinerary for next month, there are days with over 23,000 cruise passengers! :eek:

I was going to say the same exact thing! DH and I loved Belize! Cozumel, not so much.

I agree with others that Belize is the "hardest" port of call because of the 5 mile tender, and because you NEED to book an excursion. However it's a very unique and beautiful country, with attractions that you can't find anywhere. I would DEFINITELY get off the ship in Belize!

Suprisingly for many, my vote would be for COZUMEL. 3 reasons:

• Cozumel is visited on almost every Western Caribbean cruise. So chances are that if the OP misses it this time, it will be in a future itinerary.
  • Cozumel is a "cookie cutter" port. Unless you take a 45 minute ferry to the mainland to visit the Mayan Ruins of Tulum, Cozumel's attractions can be found at pretty much any port in the Caribbean. Beaches, same ol' shops, and same ol' chain bars and restaurants. I can visit McDonald's and Starbucks in my hometown.
  • Cozumel can get VERY crowded. Most times, there are several ships visiting on the same day, which translates into thousands and thousands of cruise passengers. Looking at Cozumel's itinerary for next month, there are days with over 23,000 cruise passengers! :eek:

this.

I love Cozumel and Roatan. Last cruise, we missed Belize and went to Costa Maya instead. I was pleasantly surprised and the pool was nice. Belize is beautiful but very poor. We did a ruins tour and it was great. The drive was very eye opening.

I can't comment on Belize, haven't been there. Based on comments here probably would stay on ship for that one.

We have only the one cruise under our belt. We had fun time at the shopping area just off the ship in Costa Maya. Nice to be able to walk back to the ship.

Didn't care for Cozumel at all and likely would stay on ship. We got ourselves some icy drinks and sat on the balcony watching the parasailers, boats etc. go by as we faced away from Coz. Beautiful and relaxing.

Unlike so many, we aren't into spending lots extra on excursions. Due to some health issues many of the excursions don't fit us anyway.

Staying on the ship was wonderfully relaxing because the crowds are off having adventures for the day. We thoroughly enjoy having the ship to ourselves and other folks who finally get to have some quiet time and lots of choices without crowds. No waiting for elevators either! Small benefit.

We think of the ship as a resort. It has everything, so it would take something compelling to make us want to spend the whole day away and lots of $$$$ more added to the vacation bill. Roatan sounds like it would get us off the ship though.

I have not been to costa maya.

If I HAD to pick one to stay on, I would pick Belize ONLY if I was not interested in doing an excursion. Belize is not a good place to get off and walk and browse; it's scary outside 'the gates'. HOWEVER, cave tubing was AWESOME.

We LOVE nachi cocom in cozumel; i would not pass that up.

roatan was pretty, but i had a headache, so did not enjoy a ton.

Archived