Budget questions

Hubs and I are going on our first cruise in September on the Carnival Lines. It will be a five-day cruise with the ports of call being in Costa Maya and Cozumel. Would $500 per Sail & Sign Card, per person (or a total of $1000 between the two of us to spend) be sufficient? We know in actuality it would be $450 per card rather than $500 because of tips. Here are a couple of things to help answer the question:

1) it will be just hubs and I (we have no children);

2) we plan on one excursion, which will be the Dolphin Encounter ($75 for each of us, plus $10 each in cab fare). Any other excursions will be on our own, i.e., shopping at portside, and on foot.

3) we do not drink alcohol, but we like to play bingo and are "low-roller" slot players (i.e., mostly penny and nickel machines, some quarter machines). We plan to hit a lot of the shows (no extra charge, thank goodness) and maybe hit some of the lounges.

That amount would be fine, depending on how much you play bingo, gamble and shop. We generally budget $100 per day for a cruise, we don't really shop, don't gamble much, haven't played bingo yet. But we do enjoy a nice excursion and a good bottle of wine with dinner.

You will be able to check your onboard account on the cabin TV every day. $950 sounds fairly generous, unless you buy expensive souvenirs.

Hi. I'm a solo cruiser, I'm retired, and on a budget, too. I take only 5-night cruises, and my S&S acount is always pretty low as compared to some I've heard of.:eek:

I've never seen any penny slots, but usually play the quarter slots. The nickle slots are the 'game' ones, not regular slots like Sizzlin' 7s, etc. I take my own wine, so my bar bill is not very high....just a few foo-foo drinks and maybe a nightcap. I also take my own Cokes on board with me...Carnival allows a 'reasonable' amount to be brought onto the ship.

You can also save on photos. I buy only the one at embarkation, because it shows the port, date of cruise, and ship name. (Makes a great first page for the scrapbook!):) The ship's photographers will take a zillion pics of you, and you may want to purchase a few...but taking your own works well - and saves a bundle. I've found that my fellow passengers don't mind taking a shot of me here and there, so don't hesitate to ask.

About the Dolphin Encounter.... The cab ride will be $10 per cab, not per person. So, you'll have $20 total, roundtrip, to Chankanaab. (The park itself is wonderful!) You'll also have a $12 per person entry fee to the park - in addition to the $75 each for the Encounter. BUT, it's soooo worth it. Chankanaab has SO much to offer. Botanical gardens with replicated Mayan ruins, little village, lagoon, wonderful beach area with complimentary loungers under palapas. The al fresco restaurant there has good and reasonably priced food. (My bill last trip was about $10, and I had a margarita, salsa and chips, and a great quesadilla.) The snorkeling there is wonderful!

You'll probably be docked at the Puerta Maya Pier (which Carnival owns), and there is a very large area for shopping, many shops, as well as an a/c 'mall' just as you get off the ship.

Back to budget - I have never had a S&S bill over $200, usually much less.:) Just plan carefully, don't get carried away in a 'moment' of wanting to buy something you don't really, really want. A cruise does NOT have to cost an arm and a leg. Have fun!

The Sensation... Don't miss the "Touch of Class" piano bar. It's the most unique lounge I've ever seen. Hands, many hands....you'll see what I mean.:D

The two production shows in the main show lounge are great...don't skip them! Sorry, can't tell you about the other shows, comedians, etc., as I don't care for those. Just me.:rolleyes: I think most folks enjoy them.

Anything else? If you go to the Carnival board, there are LOTS of happy Sensation cruisers.http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215&page=1&sort=lastpost&order=&pp=25&daysprune=-1

Archived