Veranda cabins overlooking the bow

mvkor

Hello to everybody!

I am thinking about booking one more cruise with Oceania (my first try is coming in June).

I am thinking about staying in Bow overlooking veranda cabin.

But I ming about the wind.

Does anybody stayed in veranda or suite cabins overlooking the bow?

Is it possible and enjoyable to stay on the veranda while ship is going?

Hello to everybody!

I am thinking about booking one more cruise with Oceania (my first try is coming in June).

I am thinking about staying in Bow overlooking veranda cabin.

But I ming about the wind.

Does anybody stayed in veranda or suite cabins overlooking the bow?

Is it possible and enjoyable to stay on the veranda while ship is going?

The views coming into and leaving ports are beautiful but the winds and possible rough seas not so much. ;)

Yes, the views are great coming into port - if you are standing up! We were in 8001 on the Marina and there is a solid metal balcony front. If you wanted to sit or lounge and look out, you are out of luck. We got a good value upsell and we were pleased since the Baltic at that time of year wasn't conducive to veranda sitting and the arrival at Stockholm was great. But that solid metal front is a real draw back.

210845.jpgThis is the metal bulkhead that Tansy Mews is referring to (taken on the balcony of a Vista Suite on the Regatta).

Some people can see over it while seated, others can't.

It can be windy at the front of the ship, although a great depends on how fast the ship is sailing and which direction the wind is actually blowing, but the views are incomparable

105740.jpg

We were in 6001 on Regatta for the Baltic and loved it. At sea it was usually too windy (and therefore chilly) to stay out too long. But that was more than made up for by the views coming into port each morning. No need to rush to get dressed and get up to Horizons -- just walk out on our veranda in our pajamas (some days) and watch. If we overslept, the noise from the windlasses would be our wake up alarm to get outside to watch!

One important point however. For reasons I don't understand, they do not put red lights in the forward-facing cabins. If you have lights on at night, you will have to keep your heavy curtains completely closed so as to not night-blind the bridge. Oceania is not alone on this, it appears that other lines that have cabins facing forward do not put in red lights either, even though that is the way these rooms should be equipped. (Red lights do not affect night vision.) For that reason, I got a cheap plug-in socket and got a red light bulb at home, and took them along. When I wanted to go outside at night to enjoy the weather, we could switch our room to red light and open the curtains.

For reasons I don't understand, they do not put red lights in the forward-facing cabins.

Oops! Somebody is a former Navy Man! :D

Old salts always wonder about that, but it seems to me that the red would be unflattering from afar.

122713.jpg Just a little too Flying Dutchman for me, anyway, and nobody wants THAT! :p

Archived