Which LA hotel post cruise?

jblbcl

I use a manual wheelchair and my husband pushes me. We are looking for a hotel in an interesting, safe (both day and night) neighborhood. The area should be reasonably flat and have restaurants (not fast-food chains) within a block or two. We will be using a cab or van, probably Super Shuttle, from San Pedro to the hotel, and from the hotel to LAX. Thanks in advance for your help.

Betty

I use a manual wheelchair and my husband pushes me. We are looking for a hotel in an interesting, safe (both day and night) neighborhood. The area should be reasonably flat and have restaurants (not fast-food chains) within a block or two. We will be using a cab or van, probably Super Shuttle, from San Pedro to the hotel, and from the hotel to LAX. Thanks in advance for your help.

Betty

A lot depends on how long you are staying and on what you want to do...

Is it just one night and "down time" relaxing after the cruise? Then, you might want the convenience of being near LAX...I would not stay AT LAX as the area is not that "interesting" and restaurants are few...

A good suggestion would be Marina Del Rey...only about 10 minutes by cab or shuttle from LAX...flat...walkable around the Marina and over to Venice Beach Boardwalk...which is the height of "interesting"..,

Several hotels in the area...

Look at the Marina Del Rey Marriott, Foghorn Harbor Inn, Jamaica Bay Inn and the Inn at Venice Beach...lots of nearby restaurants...My favorite is C&O Trattoria on Washington Blvd, right near the boardwalk...but lots of other choices as well, walking distance from these hotels...there is also a Ritz-Carlton and a Courtyard-- those are a little longer walk from the beach...

Good luck...

A lot depends on how long you are staying and on what you want to do...

Is it just one night and "down time" relaxing after the cruise? Then, you might want the convenience of being near LAX...I would not stay AT LAX as the area is not that "interesting" and restaurants are few...

A good suggestion would be Marina Del Rey...only about 10 minutes by cab or shuttle from LAX...flat...walkable around the Marina and over to Venice Beach Boardwalk...which is the height of "interesting"..,

Several hotels in the area...

Look at the Marina Del Rey Marriott, Foghorn Harbor Inn, Jamaica Bay Inn and the Inn at Venice Beach...lots of nearby restaurants...My favorite is C&O Trattoria on Washington Blvd, right near the boardwalk...but lots of other choices as well, walking distance from these hotels...there is also a Ritz-Carlton and a Courtyard-- those are a little longer walk from the beach...

Good luck...

Thanks for the good ideas. I am checking out the hotels.

Betty

Although a little further from LAX, you could check out Santa Monica and find a hotel near the 3rd Street Promanade. There is a lot of restaurants and shops in that area. 3rd Street is a walk street that goes for blocks. The mall is at one end (Broadway) and the promonade ends at Wilshire Blvd.

I usually recommend Santa Monica as the "first choice" when someone is staying multiple days...there is a lot to see and do there...and it is very convenient for visiting a lot of the LA sights...

It is fairly close to the first area I suggested for you...

It is also a little pricier...

There are several first class hotels in the area...Loews, Shutters on the Beach, Casa Del Mar, Le Marigot, and The Fairmont Miramar...for "walkers"' the Miramar would be the most convenient...it is almost adjacent to the Third Street Promenade and right across Ocean Avenue from Palisades Park...there are also a few other hotels in convenient location...the Georgian, for example...the Holiday Inn would be the least expensive hotel in a good walking location...but, make sure to get a room AWAY from the freeway...The Sheraton Delfina and the Doubletree are in a little less desirable location and a longer walk from the restaurants and sights...

The reason I first suggested the Marina was the more reasonable prices and that there is more than enough there within walking distance for a one night stay...also the shorter ride back to LAX...

...but Santa Monica is close...in more ways than one...it is just the next town up along the same beach...

I've booked the Holiday Inn. This hotel had a fully accessible room available for our dates.

Betty

It's a great choice for location as well...(except for the freeway!)...

It's a VERY short walk to Third Street Promenade, Palisades Park and the Santa Monica Pier...

Third Street is a pedestrian shopping area with a lot of shops and restaurants, no autos allowed...and a lot of street performers and activity into the night...

Palisades Park runs along Ocean Avenue... On the cliffs high above the beach and the Pacific Ocean...the views are tremendous and it's a lovely place for a leisurely stroll...try going right around sunset...

The Santa Monica Pier is a major landmark...with amusement rides and more...it has been featured in MANY movies and TV shows...

You will be pleased with the proximity to these sites...

Have fun...

Archived