How to figure out how much coverage? And other questions for a newbie!

emeltee

I'm about to book the cruise portion of an Alaskan cruise.

We don't have a clear picture of our DIY land touring portion, which would add the expense of hotel & car. Also, not everyone is doing the same type of land touring.

There is also the airfare.

I'm booking for a group of 7 people. 2 staterooms.

Do I book separate policies for each person/ stateroom or one policy for the entire party?

If I don't know how much more I'm going to spend beyond the cruise, how do I buy insurance?

Lastly, isn't there a benefit to buying the insurance within a certain amount of days after putting a deposit on a cruise?

Thanks in advance for any advice on these matters! My head is going to explode trying to figure out all this information!

We don't have a clear picture of our DIY land touring portion, which would add the expense of hotel & car. Also, not everyone is doing the same type of land touring.

Do I book separate policies for each person/ stateroom or one policy for the entire party?

If I don't know how much more I'm going to spend beyond the cruise, how do I buy insurance?

Lastly, isn't there a benefit to buying the insurance within a certain amount of days after putting a deposit on a cruise?

Thanks in advance for any advice on these matters! My head is going to explode trying to figure out all this information!

Some cruise travel agents include insurance if you book a 5+ day cruise with them. Insurance is booked for each person with the one reservation of all people cruising. Important, IMO, to have insurance. Never know if you will have to cancel or need the insurance benefits while traveling.

You can always purchase insurance for the deposits you are paying now, and then call the insurance company and add additional monies as they are paid. In fact, if you want to keep your pre-existing condition coverage, you will HAVE to insure everything, with many policies

Difficult to answer. Do all these people live in one state? I know with Travelguard, everyone on the policy usually has to live in the same state, or they will need a separate policy. With Travelguard, they don't need to be related to be on the same policy.

Start by purchasing insurance for the costs you've already incurred, and then call and add additional costs as you purchase them.

Absolutely. Many policies require insurance purchase within a set number of days (~21, depends on the policy) for you to obtain pre-existing condition coverage, or to be able to purchase "cancel for any reason" coverage.

Start by going to a wepage such as insuremytrip.com and compare polices. Call the companies and speak with an agent about any questions.

You can always purchase insurance for the deposits you are paying now, and then call the insurance company and add additional monies as they are paid. In fact, if you want to keep your pre-existing condition coverage, you will HAVE to insure everything, with many policies

Difficult to answer. Do all these people live in one state? I know with Travelguard, everyone on the policy usually has to live in the same state, or they will need a separate policy. With Travelguard, they don't need to be related to be on the same policy.

Start by purchasing insurance for the costs you've already incurred, and then call and add additional costs as you purchase them.

Absolutely. Many policies require insurance purchase within a set number of days (~21, depends on the policy) for you to obtain pre-existing condition coverage, or to be able to purchase "cancel for any reason" coverage.

Start by going to a wepage such as insuremytrip.com and compare polices. Call the companies and speak with an agent about any questions.

Glad to hear that we can add insurance as we add on to the trip.

We all live in the same state. If we were to purchase separate insurance, do we all have to call separately?

Can someone please explain pre-existing condition coverage and is it something that recommended?

We're definitely buying insurance, just trying to figure out what and how to buy it.

Thanks!

You don't need to place a separate phone call for everybody if you are buying separate policies; the call center agent should be able to book them all in one call.

A pre-existing condition is generally a medical condition that either you have, or, with most (thought not all policies), somebody that might lead you to cancel has. (i.e. a non-traveling parent or child.) While the specific wording is different with every policy, generally if you received treatment, or should have received treatment, for a medical condition some fixed period of time before policy purchase (anywhere from 60-120 days, depending on the policy), coverage for cancellation, interruption, (and, in some cases treatment) for the condition is excluded from claims.

Most 3rd-party polices offer a means to have the exclusion waived as long as you purchase the insurance within a certain period of time after your initial deposit. Some providers also require you to insure the entire trip.

Archived